Single Thirty somethings!!!!

You're on Page 5 of 20
Go to
  • I completely agree with you Jen. About the falling off the wagon part.

Interesting news about the x-- my only two cents would be make sure you both aren't finding something thats not there because you are both wanting to have someone in your lives-- that "one" may not really be either one of you but just someone. If there was someone else would this still be happening? I know its really comfortable to be with x's. (personal experience :P) Just throwing it out there-- but hey you never know. Just guard your heart.

So the date on Saturday is not the same guy-- here's some updated info.

That guy I talked about I started chatting to because of that free weekend. Well there was another guy who I made it through the process with too.

Because I had been chatting it up so much with guy #1 I was just going to kinda let guy #2 go. But I had a good talk with one of my BFFs and she said hey you aren't dating anyone keep it going with both. THANK GOODNESS I did. I found out more about guy #1 and was just not feeling it AT ALL. Kinda surprised me but these internet things are always weird.

Anyway wound up talking to guy #2 on the phone this week-- he is awesome. And we both have so much in common-- honestly so far its like the commercial. We decided too that regardless of what happends we would really like to be friends because we just hit it off so well and there aren't many single 30 somethings here. Then he asked me out on Saturday. I kinda have a feeling that he is just as excited as I am...just to meet someone that is normal for a change--lol someone like me-- which I wouldn't really label as normal!

Anyway anyway...I will keep all you gals posted.

I am finding this diet to be an everyday almost every moment challenge. I have been tempted alot. I try my hardest to not open the refridgerator-- I don't live alone so that makes it more difficult.

I have allowed myself tiny things-- a little bit of crumbled cheese on a salad or a little more protein. The one thing I am doing is completely staying off any carbs. I am definetly noticing a difference. My energy level is up...my body feels oddly at rest like its not working a bazzillion times a minute.

But I keep choosing me in a bikini-- me in a bikini-- which would be a FIRST in my life!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is well--
  • Have fun on your date Saturday Amy! I'm doing the internet dating thing and I'm just not finding anyone that I hit if off like that with. I'm independant and abitious so I think that scares guys off. Oh well, their loss! There is someone out that that will appreciate me just the way I am AND be able to keep up with me, hold a great conversation and not be intimadated or take advantage of of that amition.

I'll update what's going on with me more later tonight. My lunch half hour is quickly ending.
  • Jenn--

We are birds of a feather although I would change for me that I am an achiever rather than ambitous-- although people sometimes recieve it as ambitious.

Over the years I have found myself dating men mostly 5-10 years older than me because men my age were usually not as accomplished, focused or had the respect of their senior colleagues as I have had. Part of the reason my first engagment broke off was because of a fight in which my x said-- I am not going to another event with you-- I am not your wife. Nice huh!

LOL and the independent part....you have no idea...I don't even know...again its just another whole thing about me just being me.

But I am finding as I am getting older and men are maturing they are looking more for women of substance and aren't as intimidated.

Although the internet I think breeds insecurity. But regardless.. you're hot-- you should be able to find a guy anywhere!

Looking forward to the update--- (PS help! They are making stuffed shells down stairs...ohh I so want one!!!)
  • Hey gang! Well, I'm down 5 more pounds today...WOOHOO!

Amy, I totally get what you're saying. He's one of my best friends, honestly. And, while I'm very emotionally attached to him, I definitely know he's not the "ONE". I went through some major health issues last year & he was the one I could really confide in & cry to. He's really an amazing guy, but makes a better friend than partner.

Jenn & Amy, I know exactly what you mean. I'm very independent and am rather sucessful. I work at a med school and I have worked my way up and have gotten to a place where I am well-respected (and somewhat known)---the CFO asked where I was when I didn't go to their Christmas party!!! The funny thing is, I'm usually attracted to "good ole boys"---he has to be motivated and love what he does, but I can date a mechanic, plumber, farmer, just as easily as I could a CEO, doctor, lawyer, etc. But, they have to be very secure with who they are and sometimes that's difficult to find.

Amy, go walk around the block!!! I'm heading out of the office & off to work out.
  • Okay my update.

So while I've pretty much determined that I'm not going to find my match via internet dating, it's given me a whole lot of confidence which is priceless. If I come out of it with a new friend or two even better. I'm going about my life doing what I want and enjoy. I joined the Philly chapter of a Vegetarian education group. Once a month they have a singles "outing" at a veg restaurant and general group events as well. I also voluntered to help staff a table at a health and Food Expo in March. It'll be fun! I've gone to one of the singles restaurent outings already before the holidays and it was fun! Everyone was so nice and man oh man the randomness of the topics we discussed!LOL!

At the moment I am trying to not get the office respatory infection and stomach bug/flu that is going around. So far I'm winning! I'm reading a book that has me completely captivated right now. It's Becoming Jane Austen, the book that inspired the movie Becoming Jane out Feb 12th on DVD! I'll be at Wal-Mart after work that day buying it!

The sad news: I lost both of my trainers at the gym last week! One of them I was expecting to lose. He has just finished law school in Dec. and got a job. I knew it was a matter of time. I'm truely happy for him, but that just sucks for me! The other trainer, had to cut back his hours because he's going to school. He cut two days out completely and one of them was mine. I had to split my time between the two of them due to scheduling issues. I have an appointment with one of the female trainers tomorrow and an appointment next week with one of the other guy trainers. So we'll how that goes. I'm gonna miss those two! They showed me how to weight train properly. I'm now very comfortable in the back with the free weights with all those yummy muscly meat heads! I love lifting weights because of them. I even got a high compliment from him, he said he loves when he gets to work with "Female meat heads" :LOL: I'm so proud!

I say that I'm ambitious because when I go after something and do not let anyone or anything stand in my way. Okay so I'm doing things backwards, just now going back to school but I wasn't fully committed to Accounting back then in my 20's. I was lost in my 20s and didn't want to waste time or a heck of alot of money on school if I wasnt certain what I wanted to do. Now it's full steam ahead! I've gotten a lot of support and respect from people about it. They've all told me that they couldn't do it as an adult. I say you can do anything you want if you want it bad enough.

I saw two profiles that caught my attention and they couldn't be more different. One is a Chemist the other does Labor/Construction type work. I do find that the guys on the internet are a bit....well conceited and have an ego and want the Victoria's Secret model type for a girlfriend. It's hard to describe, but I'll know when I have that connection with someone. Until then, have fun! A friend of mine put my independance into perfect words to make men understand it, she said(cause she's the same way) "it's not that I need him(whoever he may be) in my life, it's that I want him in my life"

Amy-The key to exercise is finding something you enjoy to do! I love the gym! I also started off by walking my dog 20min briskly, I moved on to Lesley Sansones Walk Away The Pounds workouts. Those were great cardio and light weights at the same time and you DON'T have to be as coordinated as a dancer! Maybe try renting some workout DVD's from the video store? See if you find a style you like and is fun for you.

Okay so now I've written a novel I'm going to sign off for now.

Jenn
  • Hey gang. I'll reply with more later, but just wanted to pop in & say "Hi!"

I've done well with eating except for last night when we went out & ate sushi. I ate as much as I wanted w/o regret. I know it's better than other binges I go on. At least this was somewhat healthy.

I haven't done well exercising. I've pretty much blown it off this week.

I don't think I'll be seeing the ex this weekend. I plan on just vegging out.
  • I got this in an email from a friend at work. It's really cute and seems to fit in with some of the previous posts! I thought I'd share with you ladies!

Enjoy!

This is the fairy tale that should have been read to us when we were little:

Once upon a time

~~~~~~~~

in a land far away,

~~~~~~~~

a beautiful, independent,

self-assured princess

~~~~~~~~

happened upon a frog as she sat

contemplating ecological issues

on the shores of an unpolluted pond

in a verdant meadow near her castle.

~~~~~~~~

The frog hopped into the princess' lap

and said: " Elegant Lady,

I was once a handsome prince,

until an evil witch cast a spell upon me.

~~~~~~~~

One kiss from you, however,

and I will turn back

into the dapper, young prince that I am

~~~~~~~~

and then, my sweet, we can marry

~~~~~~~~

and set up housekeeping in your castle

~~~~~~~~

with my mother,

~~~~~~~~

where you can prepare my meals,

~~~~~~~~

clean my clothes, bear my children,

~~~~~~~~

and forever feel

grateful and happy doing so. "

~~~~~~~~

That night,

~~~~~~~~

as the princess dined sumptuously

~~~~~~~~

on lightly sauteed frog legs

~~~~~~~~

seasoned in a white wine

~~~~~~~

and onion cream sauce,

~~~~~~~~

she chuckled and thought to herself:

~~~~~~~~

I don't f ***in think so
  • Hey Ladies
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi--

I have been doing alright..down another 2 lbs! I have had my moments nothing too bad-- I have been staying no carb if I eat anything more..so I had a meatball moment the other night.

I have to update you on the date here's the preview--

C'est la vie!!! And the last time I feel pressure to "eat normal" in front of a man. Screw it!

• Hi Ladies,

Not sure I qualify as single, I live with my BF but since he refuses to get married, what the ****, call me single! I love him, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life being called his girlfriend. After living together for 3 years and owning a business together, the term is sort of insulting.
  • Hey gang! Just thought I'd drop in.

Jenn-I love it!!! It's exactly how I feel most of the time.

Amy- Sorry to hear about your date. Congrats on the 2 pounds down though! That's awesome.

Cabo Girl - Welcome! What sort of business do you have?

Well, I was a slug all weekend. I had yesterday off as well. I haven't been eating too great either. Just sort of in a funk. I think part of it is because I didn't work out. So, as soon as I'm done here, I'm off to the gym. I can't wait for it to get warmer, because I want to get back into swimming.

Have a great evening & rest of the week.
  • Go JEN!!!! Get back in the game!

Can I tell you my clothes are all getting looser!!! I am loving it. But I do have to get the exercise part going I know I have been talking alot about it but I am starting this week! I will keep you posted.

The date-- there was no mutual attraction physically I think....well I can definetly speak for myself on that part. We had a good conversation and parted nicely and I had no thoughts of calling him back and then I accidentally called him today thinking it was another friends number-- my cell phonebook is all messed up and I am going off of incomming calls etc and accidentally called him!!!! LOL it was so awkward for both of us..but I don't know. Ahhhhhh dating-- gotta love it!

My energy levels are up so much and I am just feeling great. I keep thinking about six months from now-- I have a personal goal I want to reach and by just thinking about it keeps me really focused! Well and the cost involved! hahaha

Hope you are all doing well!!!!

Amy
  • Hi all. This thread looks right up my alley, although... I'm kind of weird in that I'm purposefully single and totally not looking. I figure I spent most of the best years of my youth doing everything and anything to find Mr. Right, until I figured out that I was wasting my time. I wasn't looking for a partner, I was looking for someone to complete me -- make me feel okay about myself. So I stopped looking for love and started to work on loving myself.

Heh. I didn't mean to start out with a sermon. But basically, I'm a Crazy Old Cat Lady in Training.

I'm Heather, I'm a writer from Upstate NY (like, almost Canada, not Albany. *G*). I've been struggling with some health problems for the last four or five years and I've REALLY packed on the pounds. I have Crohn's Colitis, and it took a while to get it under control. But now that things are more kopasetic, it's time to start addressing that weight! I'm doing the WW Flex Plan for simplicity's sake, but I don't want to pay them forever. I'm hoping to set up a support system here. I love these boards.
  • Hey Amy. Thanks for the encouragement. I got back in the gym last night & must admit, it felt GREAT! I did 4 miles on the treadmill in just a little over an hour and I was sweating up a storm. I always feel like I've accomplished so much after I work out.

And, that's funny about accidently calling your date. Totally something I would do.

Welcome Heather. I don't think it's weird at all to be purposefully single. Sorry to hear about your health problems. I had a friend in college who had Crohn's & she had so many struggles getting it regulated.

Well, ladies, I'm down 2 more pounds. So that makes a total of ten. So far, I don't notice any real changes physically, but I feel so much better. I go to the doctor in mid-February, so I'm hoping to weigh 15-20 pounds less than I did the last time. (I was about 276 last time).

Have a great day. We're on the downward slide for the week! YIPPEE!!!
  • Hi gang. Hope everyone is still hanging in there.

I just have to brag on myself a little. For the past two days, I've gone and worked out (and I feel so much better!) and will go again tonight.

When I got home last night I threw out the Oreos & Reese's Peanut Butter Cups I bought before Christmas to make cookies/candy with (and had a small binge on over the weekend). I almost poured bleach on them so I wouldn't be tempted to pull them out of the garbage!

Today we had a going away lunch for one of my coworkers complete with pizza & cookies, but I held strong. After the party I headed to my desk and heated up my frozen low-cal lunch & had a 100 cal snack pack.

I feel like I've really accomplished something over the past couple of days.
  • That is AWESOME Jen!!!

Ugh I need some encouragement LOL. I have been doing good but I am so tempted to blow it. And I have a bunch of stuff coming up over the next 3 days-- I am going to be at the Knicks game tomorrow night...LOL I will wave to all of you and then I have lunch meetings and movies-- ahhhh. I am going to need some definete strength to get through all this! My spelling is terrible.

Hafowler-- loved what you wrote!!!!

ohh and Jen I am still embarassed about the call-- seriously if someone tapped my life it would be a hysterical sitcom!