Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 260/170/160

Height: 5'10"

Hi Ladies,

Naia-I'm working on my Bachelor's in Accounting. I transferred my Associates from community college, that I received in Dec 1995, and I am now on that long road to my Bacholor's in Accounting, then hopefully it's off to Grad School for my Master's then the CPA exam! It'll take time to do all this because I'm taking only 1 class a semester. Working full-time (my company reimburses for tuition. All I have to do is get a C or better), class, getting to the gym 3 times a week, homework and the stuff of life I stay pretty busy. I am really liking and excited about school. I'm also looking forward to meeting new people and networking some.

I understand completely the whole "you DON'T want kids?!" thing. I get that alot too. Kids aren't for everyone. I tell people that means more $$$ and toys for me!

I'd love for society to realize that there is no sin in not getting married and having kids. Heck our divorce rate is what 50% these days?
ViolinJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 277/247/180

Height: 5'8"

Just checking to say hi and seriously! TGIF. Its been a long overly stressful week and I am so glad to be done with it. I hope you lovely ladies have wonderful weekends!!

Last edited by cherrycolored; 09-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
cherrycolored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 265/230/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys!

My weekend was pretty uneventful. I didn't get in as much exercise as I should've, but I did finish reading the fourth Twilight book

Jenn -- That's so great your work pays for school! I have a friend who's doing that too, her work pays as long as she passes the class.

I agree with the whole divorce rate & kids thing. My mom thinks its something with our generation -- We'd rather be single than settle. I don't disagree, but I think it's a good thing rather than the way she thinks of it I *would* rather be single than settle. Plus, then I get everything my own way and I always have control of the remote, and the choice to buy whatever gadgets I want! At this point, I'm not sure I *could* share finances with someone.

Anyway, hope you all had a good weekend and are off to a good week!
Naia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Wait-WHAT?? There's a single thirtysomething thread? I don't have rattle off my statistics of single, no kids, a dog, I grocery shop for 1, and I won't get pitying looks? Well, hello Ladies!

Quote:
I *would* rather be single than settle. Plus, then I get everything my own way and I always have control of the remote, and the choice to buy whatever gadgets I want! At this point, I'm not sure I *could* share finances with someone.
Um yeah. What Naia said.
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 265/230/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey, welcome!!! You've found the right place!

I *know* those looks at the grocery store... Only, instead of shopping for one, I shop for myself and my grandfather (he stays with me), and my 3 cats. Now, this doesn't sound so bad on paper, but the cats are voracious and my grampa is a heavy gin drinker. I mean, heavy. He's 83, so I figure he might as well enjoy himself now. But... Our staples, that I must purchase at every store shopping trip include a few bottles of gin, vermouth, milk, about 40 cans of cat food & a big ole stack of lean cuisines for me.

Now. I can only imagine what the clerks think of me. I'd guess... The crazy gin-drinking cat lady who lives alone and eats tv dinners. And maybe ... does she mix gin & milk ? disgusting! There is no actual mixing of the milk and gin, but my grampa does drink milk at every meal, and then follows it up with his gin martini. Still kind of gross to my way of thinking

Sometimes I switch my regular ring to my "ring finger" just to not feel judged. I guess that's a little bit silly... but after one grocery clerk would NOT stop asking why I wasn't married, and didn't I WANT kids (seriously, it was like a SNL skit) I figure it's a small thing to keep me from yelling at people in the grocery store

Anyway! Welcome again!
Naia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #231  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Crazy gin-drinking cat lady. LOL!

With recovering from surgery, I was wishing this weekend I had someone around to help. You, man. Pick up heavy thing. Drive places because I'm too stoned on painkillers. Water lawn. But then there's the trick of finding one who won't give me a hard time about crying over "The Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing and Charm School."
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #232  

I live in the burbs of philly and in a town filled with soccer moms and escalades. Everyone is way to self involved to care about my status. My parents are even pretty cool with it. They are just sad because they want me to be happy. So yeah.
I went on a tragically bad date last night and I have managed to keep my head above water and out of a bag of bread. I also hit 20 pounds down today so that kind of made the bad feeling wash away a little bit. But wow. what a disaster. He had so much to talk about on the phone for the past two weeks and barely could muster the ability to converse when we went out. Pretty awful. But its okay. I lived. So yeah I am seriously not even attempting that again for another month or so.
God. men are jerks. Really.

Last edited by cherrycolored; 09-16-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #233  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengbear View Post
Wait-WHAT?? There's a single thirtysomething thread? I don't have rattle off my statistics of single, no kids, a dog, I grocery shop for 1, and I won't get pitying looks? Well, hello Ladies!

Um yeah. What Naia said.
I like you already! Welcome!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #234  

Hey all...

Ohh tough month for a single gal. Two, count um, two, girls in my office got married and had showers. Gripe one, I don't get a b-day party thrown for me how dare the office take time out for that kind of party? IMHO totally inappropriate. Gripe two, one of the girls had a 4 week engagement after knowing the guy 2 months. Can you see disaster ahead? Or something else. Not a word is said at how inappropriate it is to marry someone you met 3 months ago, but instead I have to pony up funds for her and also keep my mouth shut.

You would NOT believe the gifts she got. We are talking expensive stuff. Engraved things... from people she hardly knows. My god. I need to find some guy, any guy right now, to rake in substantial amounts of cash.

It is truly unbelievable. It is as if people will do anything to maintain *the dream* of true love.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #235  

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Cherrycolored, I LOVE your avatar! I adore pin-ups. My mom, bless her heart, is convinced that I'm a lesbian because I have several framed and hanging in my bedroom. Why else would a girl want pictures of half-nekkid ladies on the wall?

And Naia, yes, I've gotten some weird comments at the grocery store too, except I'm on a low-carb diet, so there's meat, and eggs, and dairy, and lots of "man" food, but just little old me paying for it. I had a kindly lady at Krogers (because here in the south you can't just pay for something. You have to discuss it with your cashier.) inform me that if I bought more ladylike foods, I may change the look of that ringfinger! Seriously? Ladylike foods? What, like roast beef with lace on it? I just stared at her, and said "I didn't know I could only buy the pink food!!" I was dumbfounded. Just shut up and let me pay for my food.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #236  

I am low carb as well pengbear. I am a big fan of pinups myself and when i reach my goal weight I am getting professional pics done from a pin up photographer to celebrate. It costs about $400 bucks but I will need to document the moment. And funny... being low carb and being at the grocery store are very common it seems. i am there, like, daily and I spend $60 each time on meats and cheese and other junk to get me through the day but have yet to have someone discuss it with me. Thats funny... RB with Lace. hehehehe

Last edited by cherrycolored; 09-16-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #237  

Oh, what a cool way to celebrate your weight loss! That's such a great idea, totally worth the $ 400.
I haven't decided what to do when I get to goal. At my first major goal I got a tattoo, but unfortunately right now the best reward I can think of is a giant pizza and a gooey buttercake. And rewarding with food is a no-no.

And yeah, I've noticed I go to the grocery store a lot more often on low-carb, like 5 times a week or so.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #238  
starting over again

I'm won't be 30 until next May, but I can definitely relate. In the past 2 years ALL my friends have gotten married and started having kids, so my social life is pretty much nonexistent. I get asked why I'm not married or why I don't have a boyfriend all the time. I just don't understand why this is the only question people can think to ask. A husband, 2.5 kids and a white picket fence were never part of my plans.

P.S. I live in the Philly 'burbs also (pottstown).
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #239  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marms View Post
I'm won't be 30 until next May, but I can definitely relate. In the past 2 years ALL my friends have gotten married and started having kids, so my social life is pretty much nonexistent. I get asked why I'm not married or why I don't have a boyfriend all the time. I just don't understand why this is the only question people can think to ask. A husband, 2.5 kids and a white picket fence were never part of my plans.

P.S. I live in the Philly 'burbs also (pottstown).
Welcome! I am right up the road in Exton actually!!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #240  

Hey Marms, if you have any siblings, wait till THEY get married and have children. Then your folks will start giving you gentle reminders that your nieces and nephews need cousins, etc. And if you're really lucky, it'll be your YOUNGER siblings! Gah.