Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Hehe...T is only in pre-K but he's a bit wishy-washy as to whether he likes it. He goes 3 days a week and only from 9-1 at the moment. The second day he went, he could have cared less if I left. Pretty much same with third. Today was his 4th day and he was VERY clingy. Last Saturday I had to go work up there and told him we were going to go work at the church. Then I said that it was also his school. He said "no thanks, that's enough". He has a blast while he's there. He especially loves one of the teachers and has for ages (I used to babysit her when she was little...dang I feel old). Still, he's not quite sure he wants to be in school.

My oldest is in 2nd grade...he's having a blast. There are only 6 kids in all of 2nd grade. One kid we knew wouldn't be able to come back...knew that at the end of last year. Sad, he was a sweetie and would have made it 4 boys in the class. Had heard heard there would be 12 though at the start of the year. Then, a pair of twins moved, a girl I'm not sorry to see the end of left (she was amazingly adept at making other people feel small and was just not friendly...sad to see in anyone, let alone a first grader). Then, come to find out that the new student coming in wasn't actually supposed to be in that grade. They got one new student, but also after the first week lost another because the girl wanted to ride a bus and go to the public school with the kids from her neighborhood. So...we have 3 boys and 3 girls now. Thankfully...he needs lots of individual attention so this will work. He's got difficulty with concentration (they think it is borderline Asperger's or ADD) and so having such a small class means he doesn't fall through the cracks.
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #212  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Well, I spoke too soon. The nurse called me today and told me that Peter had 3 accidents in K. I had sent one change of clothes and wipes, but they had to borrow clothes from the extra stash. I brought 3 new complete changes and his old Cars sandals at lunch just in case. Talked to his teacher and she said nothing unusual happened, no stress, no transitional problems. And he did use the bathroom once, so he went a total of 4 times between 8:45-1. I told them it's not unusual for him to have accidents, but it is unusual to have that many in that short of time. She said she would remind him and be a little firmer with him to go potty.

RR, glad to hear Kaylee is liking K and doing well! Will the school provide a ST so you don't have to pay out of your pocket? I was wondering if you all were still into the IM's!

Karen, Peter has been on green everyday soo far! They send a little green laminated circle home for us to see how he did.

Caff, that's cute, "no thanks, that's enough"!! As if he has a choice! You should have him evaluated by the public school system to see if he qualifies for services.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

I got a phone call from the principal this morning saying that she was calling to report a "treasure chest" in regards to DD. Apparently, (obviously, I've never gotten this call before LOL) when a teacher sees a child doing something super positive she sends the child down to the principal to receive a treasure. Brigid got on the phone to talk to me and she sounded so sweet.
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #214  
LBH

Joan, that is soo sweet!! How nice to have something good come from a trip to the principals office!

No good news here. The nurse made me take Peter to the dr. yesterday to make sure nothing was medically wrong. Of course, nothing is wrong. And today he has to wear a pull up to school! I'm not happy about it and neither is he. But, payback, the dr. sent a note saying they need to send him to the bathroom every 2 hrs. for 2 mins. and reward him for compliance...not production. He needs to clean himself up if he has an accident, they are not to bring attention to it. And in a pull up, nobody's gonna know anyway. I told him this am to listen to them when they say to go, and prove to them that he doesn't need a pull up. I hope he has a good day.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #215  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Oh yikes Lauren. He must have hated having going to school in a pull-up. I hope he can prove that he doesn't need one every day.

I'm trying to get Alex out of pull-ups at night and it is so not working. Even with the pull-up he's been wet in the AM 3 of the last 6 mornings. He's never going to be able to have a sleepover! He'd float them away.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 199.4/195.4/149

Height: 5ft3in

Lauren- I hope that all gets worked out for you guys soon. I hope you have excellent supports there...with his diagnosis, does Peter receive special services? Does he have any extra support and resources while in the kindergarten classroom? I may have missed that previously.-Erin

It is nice to see all the stories of kiddos loving school. It is important to hear positive things from your teachers and schools....the treasure chest thing was awesome!
mcmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #217  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Hello again!! We have been busy cutting trees/cleaning up since the last hurricane and now after yesterday/today with the 50 mph winds of Ike it is starting over but not as bad. At least the electricity is back.

K moved to yellow yesterday..She said she talked too much.. Oh well..
Yes Lauren--She gets speech/OT at school and then I pay $200/week for private speech. She is doing really well..I love it that we are having conversations together..

School has been out for 2 weeks with no electricity. it started back on Friday but they had early dismissal cuz of Ike. These kids are soo messed up, but ready to get back to normal.

Karen--the kids have grown up!! Your daughter is too cute..Time flies

Take care all!! Let's hope for treasure chest prices for all next week!!
RR
RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #218  

Hi guys. Not a good day here. Mom and kids all three had tantrums. Ugh. Alex just would. not. stop. arguing with me about whether or not a color was blue or black. It was dark navy blue. That just grates on my nerves beyond belief. So we had a screaming match and I sent him to his room. Then Cass peed on the floor in the bathroom yet again. She will do fine if you go with her, takes her clothes off and gets on the potty just fine. I was on the phone and couldn't rush right in with her so she peed on the floor. In one of my worst mom moments I yelled at her and sent her to her room too.

I know, I know. I cringe now when I think about it, but I just lost it. It looks like that is going to be a battle for us. I know she can do it. I've seen her do it. She does it all the time, unless you are slow in going with her.

Then to top things off DH stayed at his guitar jam until 4. Didn't get home until 4:30. I was livid. He knew things were not going well between the kids and I today. Everything I tried to do with them was an uphill battle. So he came in the door and I walked out. And sat in the parking lot at Target and cried 'cause I had no where to go. So, I went in and spent $150 on clothes for the kids and me. I never spend money on myself unless I've done some surveys and have some extra $$ to spend.

So sorry for the whine fest, but I had to get that out! Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #219  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Karen, sorry about your bad day. Good for you for treating yourself!

RR, geez, that is a rough start to the school year...poor kids.

Joan, how cool about the treasure chest, what a neat idea!

Lauren, fingers crossed this week turns out better. It's probably just the new situation.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #220  

Height: 5'6

Lauren, I really hope things get better for Peter this week. Wonder why it's happening...what does he say about it??

Joan, I love that idea...what did Brigid do to get the treasure?? I love hearing stories of children (esp.young ones) doing good deeds!!

RR, Cadence has a green, yellow, and red system as well. She has a calendar in her folder with smiley faces on it, they have to color in what color they ended the day on. So far we've only had green. It won't surprise me if she comes home with yellow,man that girl LOVES to talk.

Alicia, how's Spencer doing??

Karen, hope you have a better week this week!!! Sometimes we just can't take it anymore and we just need to cry/shop. Hope it helped.

Last edited by pmasci; 09-14-2008 at 10:18 PM.
pmasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #221  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Pam ~ Brigid told me her teacher sent her down to the principal with a "treasure note" because she'd been so good about following directions. As far as I know, she's followed directions every day before that but maybe not...? She's a good little girl but, like Cady, she is a TALKER! I was impressed that the principal would take the time to make a phone call to tell me about it.

Karen ~ big hug... Nothing like a good cry and Target to cheer a person up.

Lauren ~ fingers crossed that today is the start to a better week for Peter. I know how anxious we all feel for our children in new situations ~ sending a big hug your way ~ Joan
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #222  

I need help ladies! Alex has been on red for the past two days at school for talking. The first punishment was that he had to go to his room for one hour per day with no playing or music. He could sit or lay on his bed and read or book or do nothing. It was to help him learn to be quiet. His dad told him that if he got in trouble again (didn't get off red) he would loose all of his toys and no TV/video games. All he could do was read. Well, he came home the second day still red and said he got in trouble again. So his room is now bare, except for books.

Now, here's my issue. The kids get a coupon every day that she does not have to get on to them. Alex got on yellow and got a coupon the next day, but she never took him off of yellow. At open house she told us that she reasesses (sp?) their color at the end of every day. So why didn't he go back to green the day he got the coupon? He wouldn't be on red if she had put him back on green like, according to her, he should have been.

I guess my problem is two fold: 1) How do I get the boy to shut up in school? 2) Do I address this color thing with the teacher. I don't want her to just forget him and leave him on yellow even though he's been good. I'm torn. I don't want to question her authority in the classroom, but, dang, follow what you say you're going to do.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just frustrated and I know he is too. I don't want him to hate school, but I feel like this has to be addressed.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #223  
LBH

Karen, Do you have a means of communication with her? Like e/m or notes in the backpack? Or do you have to call her? Anyway, I would ask her why he got a coupon if he was still on yellow. (BTW, what kind of coupon is it? What can they use it for?)

Peter's teacher explained the traffic light system to us at B-T-S night. She said they always have the opportunity to get back on green by the end of the day. If they end the day on red, they get a note home explaining why they're on red. Yellow doesn't get a note home. I'm guessing it's possible that if he got a coupon, maybe she just forgot to exchange the colors? (we get little laminated circles in the color). Do they get a clean slate the next day??? Peter's school starts with a clean "green" each day, regardless of what they were on the day before.

As far as getting him to stop talking, I would start by asking him why he's talking soo much. I mean, I know Alex is a talker, LOL! But maybe explain the class rules to him again? Remind him that if the teacher is talking, or if they're working on an assignment, that they're not supposed to be talking.

What are his very favorite things to do at home? Taken those privileges away. For Peter, that would be dessert and TV. I'm not sure that I would "force" him to read books, because it might backfire and he'll rebel against reading....Peter would do something like that.

Peter has been on yellow one day, and that's because I forgot to give him his meds that day! Bad mom... He was banging other kids trucks with him, and being a general PITA. But not bad enough to be on red.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #224  

Height: 5'6

hey girls...

In Cadence's class, if the kids have to move to yellow or red, they stay there for the day (only 2.5 hours), but they start the next morning on green again. I would def. talk to her about it, to make sure you and Alex have a clear understanding of how the system works. It sounds way confusing to me, I can only imagine how he must feel!!

As for getting him to stop talking, I'm with Lauren...take away things he likes. It works with my son. He loses TV and video games. Losing the TV kills him, it always changes his behavior!!! Example: he forgot to bring homework home twice, lost TV for four days, has not forgotten since. As for Cadence, well, she doesn't really have to have stuff taken away. I think generally girls are more organized and focused in school. She does throw tantrums occasionally, and she gets put on her bed until she can calm down.

Good luck. Give that a try, if it doesn't work, try other stuff. Maybe the teacher can come up with some kind of reward system just for him. Maybe a behavior calendar or something. You'll figure it out, I'm sure!
pmasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #225  

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions.

We took EVERYTHING away. No toys, no TV, no Wii, no Gameboy. All he had for entertainment was reading. He threw one hellacious fit the day we took everything (toys were removed from his room, we thought a visual would help) and then adapted. He was happy to just read.

He finally got off of red on Thursday. I sent a note to school telling his teacher that we were honestly trying and were lost since what we were doing wasn't working. She's going to do a behavior sheet and send it home every week so we know where the problems are.

He told the teacher that he was "New to this school." and that's why he was having problems . I've a feeling it's going to be a LONG year.