3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 30-Somethings

Old 08-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #196
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Caffeine, Good grief, you've got your hands full with your little guys! We've had one ER visit each, but no stitches. Come join us on the Daily Chat!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #197
LBH

Just an update, both boys had Neuro visits this past week.

Peter (#1, 5.7 y/o) went last Wednesday and saw the NP. I hadn't met her before, but she's been bugging me to have an appt. with her, since she's the one I usually talk to on the phone about meds and stuff. So we saw her. She's very nice, but still annoys me a bit. She really wants to help, but she also seems to want to bulk him into the stereotypical ADHD kid. Peter is anything but stereotypical. Anyway, it turned into a marriage counseling session. Telling me how I need to get my kids out of my bed at night and go on dates with DH... Nothing I didn't already know. Peter's fine. He recently started taking Vyvanse, 20mg, which is working pretty well I think. It was a big ol' cluster-you-know-what though. NP ordered 20 mg, but then changed it to 30mg w/o telling me. So when DH brought the Rx home, I flipped out and called CVS to yell at the Pharmacist. He said the NP changed it, but couldn't give me a good explaination why. I left NP a message, but she never returns my calls (one of the reasons I'm annoyed by her!). So finally I talk to her and she tells me that the 20 mg was not available yet, so she ordered 30 mg, and that's fine because she's convinced that Peter will be on the 30 mg soon enough. Right. I gave it to him for one day and he was a complete zombie all day, didn't eat anything. His teacher said it just wasn't Peter. Anyway, so now I'm doing what the pharmacist told me to do - measure out 5 mL of juice in a bowl, then empty the capsule into and dissolve. Then suck up just over 3 mL into a syringe and that is 20mg of the drug. I just got the new Rx for 20 mg yesterday. What a fiasco.

#2 had an appt. with the Neurologist yesterday. This was a 6 month recheck, just to see how he's doing. As of the last visit, he was not ready to diagnose him with anything, thinks he's just a quirky kid. Yesterday he said he's progressed with his language skills and he still thinks he's just a quirky kid. Come back in 6 months. He thinks he'll be doing even better then...and will possibly just always be quirky. Said he's clumsy too...which he is. Still runs kind of like a baby, and can't catch a tennis ball at close range.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #198

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchwitch1224 View Post
The only thing Dylan does is count from 1-10 and mama, dada and bubba. Is this wierd? I have been wondering about it but the pediatrician says not to worry. I thought the counting this is wierd too.
Sorry this is so long, I guess I got on a roll.
Don't worry. My oldest started talking at 3 and my youngest at 3.5. My oldest reads constantly and is very smart. My youngest is only 4.5 so he's only got 1 year of practice with this talking thing. He can count up to 40 now that we've convinced him that it is actually thirty and not twenty-ten. He can write most of his letters though they are very messy. He knows how to spell a few words and knows the sounds of several letters. He'll be starting pre-school this year ( and I know he's probably going to start reading this year, he's so desperate to learn.

Just because Dylan isn't talking yet isn't a worry IMHO. The ped may start pestering you if he's still not talking in a year, but you have to go with your gut.

My great grandpa didn't start talking till he was 5. He was at a family reunion and some relative came up and started talking to him. His parents said "oh he can't talk" and he turned to them said "I can so talk" and walked off. He was just kind of anti-social because he was shy and didn't like to draw attention to himself. My youngest took a year before he'd let my aunt hug him and if you ask him a question with people around you either have to get up right next to his mouth to hear his reply because he's going to be so quiet...or you just plain won't get a response. Oh, and my great grandpa became a millionaire DURING the depression (through honest means, not taking advantage of share croppers). He was very smart!
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH View Post
Just an update, both boys had Neuro visits this past week.
Sounds like your second visit was with a much better doctor!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #200
LBH

Caff, usually we see the Neurologist, but we saw the NP=nurse practitioner for #1 this time....we'll be back to the Neurologist next time.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #201

I would hope so! Sounds like he really knows what he's talking about (I like the "quirky kid") and she's just wanting to medicate. Really weird because it is usually the other way around. I see a neuro regularly because of my epilepsy and I like the one I have but I've talked to so many people who say that neuros don't expect to get a diploma when they graduate...they want Jesus sandals. The one I saw ONCE after my neuro changed practices (I hunted her down after seeing him) was weird. He tried to listen but would just hear small snippets of what you were trying to say, would latch onto that one little bit and not actually pay attention to anything you were saying about that thing. Like he asked me about my chronic bronchitis and I told him I've had it most of my life. Then he got all excited because he remembered that coughing was a side effect of the seizure medication my good neuro had put me on. Umm...I've been on that 1 year...remember...I just told you that. Was all my bronchitis the rest of my life just a foreshadowing of taking Lamictal?!

I FIRMLY believe that doctors are our employees. If you don't like them, you fire them. I fired my OB when I was 36 weeks pregnant, went to the hospital I wanted to give birth at, went up to the labor dept. nurse desk in tears and asked who they recommended. I ended up delivering after only seeing him 2 times and got lucky with him delivering for me (had to be induced) but I had a better relationship with him only seeing him a total of 3 times than I did with the original. Heck, I tried reporting the first to the board of medicine or whatever it is you report bad doctors to!

Ugh...sorry for the rants. We have to be our own and our childrens' advocates. I'm glad you'll be seeing the neuro next time.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #202

Red face From a mom and teacher

Hi ladies...I just posted my introduction on the intro thread...love the kids idea! I have two: Paige, born 11/6/98, and Coulter, born 9/13/00. They are the lights of my life, to be sure. We are currently undergoing an evaluation on Paige to determine if she is ADHD, or ODD, or bipolar, or what. We think there are components of several. My husband and I are both educators and familiar with these disorders, and our girl is all over the place. She is that high-maintenance combination of profoundly gifted but emotionally unstable. She is bright, beautiful, funny, outgoing (unless she's on a "low",) and creative...very precocious. She actually does better socially with adults. She comes off immature and inappropriate with kids her own age much of the time. Making friends isn't the problem; it's keeping them. Our son is the easy one, though he's going though his own little defiant phase. He still seems like my little baby, and so far he doesn't mind me babying/cuddling/kissing/etc. Wonder how long that will last!
EPMadras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #203
LBH

Welcome EP! Paige sounds just like Peter! LOL, they'd be a riot together!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #204
LBH

So, kindergarten updates...let's hear it! How's it going? Scared, excited, making friends?

As far as I can tell, Peter is liking Kindy alot! He doesn't tell me much, and if I ask too many questions, I get, "I don't wanna talk about it anymore". Last night at bedtime he told me he wanted to sing me a song he learned. Something about eyes open wide and mouth closed. I told him if he sings it everyday, he'll be able to remember all the words and sing it to me again!

He doesn't know any kids names yet. "I talked to some kids, but they didn't tell me their name." I told him maybe he should say, "Hi, I'm Peter, what's your name?" He got an invite to a bday party in the mail Saturday...after 2 days in school. The party is 9/21. I feel bad for the kid having a bday right at the beginning of the year before he knows anyone. I was pretty surprised that they mailed it home too...I didn't tell anyone they could give out my address. I personally don't mind, but I'm sure there are families that do. Will have to send the teacher a note about that...will she be sending home a name/address/phone list? Anyway, I told Peter his mission today is to find out who Jacob is.

Meals are a slight problem though, he's not eating too well. I'm trying to involve him as much as possible. He likes Lunchables, so I saved some of the small square ones and make them myself, but soo far, he's not eating them.

What do you send for your kids' lunches?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #205

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Lauren ~ glad to hear that Peter likes school. He reminds me of my Liam. Regarding remembering names *and* school lunches! We'll be walking down the hall and I'll hear a kid call, "hi Liam." Liams, "hey" (thankfully, he at least does that. He used to be so into his own world that he wouldn't respond at all). I'll ask who just said hi to him and he'll say, "I don't know. They were in my class last year though." How can you be in a class of 20 kids and not know their names??? We have a "buzz book" here that comes with names and addresses. However, we don't get it until a month or so into school and they have to have permission to give the info. The privacy thing is such a big deal that they won't even print out class lists anymore. Crazy. I've learned to just pack snacks for Liam's lunch. He will not eat sandwiches of any kind. Thankfully, he does love raw veggies and fruit so that is what I give him every single day. He'll eat 1/2 lbs. of carrots, an apple and milk. Sounds incredibly monotonous to me but he likes sameness. He eats a good breakfast and dinner so I'm fine with him eating a light lunch. Plus, with the meds that he's one during the school day, his appetite just isn't there.

Would Peter eat a school lunch? They're so much better than when I was a kid.

Hope that Peter comes home today knowing who Jacob is. Thanks for sharing!! Brigid *LOVES* school and she is a wealth of information. I get more info out of her (w/o asking) than I've ever gotten from the older two.

IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #206

Height: 5'6

Hey girls...

Joan, had to laugh, I think it's a girl/boy thing. Cady tells me everything, she already has a friend named Paige, and one named "Canada". Wasn't quite sure aobut that, looked on the class list and found a Kennedy. She was like, "oh yeah, that's it." How freakin' cute is that??

Lauren, she doesn't eat luch at school, comes home before that, but I remember when Frankie was in 1st grade and started eating lunch at school, he would bring most of it home. I though it was odd, asked a few moms, and apparently it was a common thing. The kids were just getting used to being together in the cafeteria. after a few weeks, he started eating all of it. Now he takes a PB sandwich, a piece of fruit, a few snacks and a bottle of water. He never told me A THING about school, he still hates to talk aobut it, but I make him give me 5 minutes every day where I get to ask him questions about what happened and he has to answer them. he sounds just like Liam too. Tons of kids know him, he never seems to know them. Weird.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #207
LBH

Oh it's definitely a girl/boy thing! At the kindergarten get-together we went to before school started, the girls all looked like they had been BFFs since they were born and the boys were all shy or standing alone!

Peter's soo picky, he won't eat raw or cooked carrots. Sometimes celery, but usually only if DH is eating it. Our district does not have a school lunch program. Just a milk program and I'd rather send it than pay .30 a day for probably a small 8 oz. carton. I have to sent a snack w/drink for kindy, lunch w/drink for kinder kids (the aftercare for kindy), and label them "snack" and "lunch", or put in separate labeled bags. I don't and I don't label them. I told him I don't care what he eats when, as long as he eats! I'm gonna ask the KK teacher what the other kids eat. And I'm going to double check on the PB thing. I'm pretty sure they said it's a peanut free school.

He told me he doesn't like sandwiches anymore, but I made little PBJ rollups, kind of like I saw in Kraft Food & Family. Flatten out a piece of bread, cut off the crust, spread w/whatever and roll. Then stick in toothpicks and cut into little bite-sized pieces. He and Robby both liked them! Silly kids.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #208
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Lauren, I can't believe they don't have a school lunch program! Our school makes such a big deal about the lunch forms because somehow thats how they get their Title I funding. As for the lunch's, snacks may be the way to go. I do remember seeing chicken nugget lunchables and remember your kids liked chicken nuggets. I can't imagine how they would taste though?

It's good to hear all the kids are enjoying school. Spencer brought home his first progress report. He did pretty good, I think he just likes stressing us both out, lol. As for McKayla, she has nothing much to say on the subject except to complain that all her classes are 2 hours long and sooooo boring.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #209
Working on Weight loss!!!

Helllo all!!!
kaylee loves Kindergarten!! and is doing great with having delayed speech. The teacher is great!! DH brings her to "before care" and she eats breakfast and when she gets to school she eats breakfast again For $1.00/day--she gets breakfast and lunch. She eats anything and everything so lunch is not an issue. She then gets to "after care" and has a snack before I pick her up. At school, They have a meal line and then a sandwhich choice line(hamburger, hot dog, chicken nuggets) it is fun to go online and I can check her food choices..

K likes the boys bettter at school but has a Best friend..I will have to post and update pic!!!

Lauren--still great friends with the IM's.. Was invited to a Disney premier party last weekend which was cancelled due to Gustav
Hopefully it will be rescheduled!!
RR
RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #210
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Alex is LOVING kindergarten. If I ask him what he did in school he says "nothing much" so I have to ask questions. What story did the teacher read> What songs did you sing? Did you do any dances? Did you go anywhere special - they went to the library yesterday. Today he did offer the information that two kids got moved onto yellow. I guess they were being naughty. I asked him if he ever got moved to yellow and he said no, he stays on green! I wonder how long that will last.

We only have 1/2 day kindy so we only send snacks. He's taken those handy snack cheese and crackers/peanut butter and pretzel things, a cheese stick and a juice box. He eats it all which really surprises me since we don't do afternoon snacks here at home. He does come home VERY thirsty tho.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote