Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #1  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default OT: My mom is having surgery today.

I'm not sure if I posted the last time my mom had surgery (about a month ago)...so I guess I'll start from the beginning.

My mom has degenerative disk disorder (i think that's what it's called) and her vertebrae have been pinching nerves and stuff because her disks have slipped or dissolved...so for years she's been in a lot of pain..

About a month ago she had a surgery on her upper spine, I think it was between 5 and 6, and 6 and 7 (the vertebrae, counting down from the top)...the nerves were so badly pinched and damaged and compressed that she lost all feeling in her left arm and would scream for like 10 minutes after she laid down because her back had to adjust and until it did she was in severe severe pain...Basically they took out what was left of the disks between 5 and 6 and 6 and 7...and replaced them with something (i don't really remember what) and screwed it into place...it was a pretty major surgery, i mean, it was her spine..and they had to go in through her neck and move that major artery that's in your neck...but the recovery time was extremely short (she had the surgery on a monday, and she was back in church the next sunday)...

Today, she's having pretty much the same thing done, except on her lower spine. They're hoping that this will fix most of the other issues she's been having (although she does still have fibromyalgia and really bad knees and ankles)....but the surgery is much longer and more extensive, and the recovery time will be long and difficult. She could end up losing function in her legs if something goes wrong, and she will (best case) not be able to bend at all for 12 weeks, basically have to lay down or stand up....and I know it's going to be miserable for her.

I'm just really worried about my mom. I definitely bought some hot chocolate from the caffeteria in the hospital, but I don't really care about the calories right now (although I SHOULD, because I've had that "I don't care" mentality for the past month or so, and I haven't really lost anything at all...I NEED to get back on plan..)...I'm really worried about her...I hope she's going to be okay.

I just needed to talk about it, so thanks for listening guys.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #2  

I'll say a prayer for your mom's quick and complete recovery. I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I don't think the hot chocolate was a bad choice under the circumstances.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Share away ... we don't mind -- and we do understand; our family has been dealing with all kinds of health issues over the years (cancer the most, and knee replacements and leg surgeries and back surgeries, etc).

As someone who was born with spina bifida and gone thru tuff surgeries as a child; and still suffer with pain today on and off (but it is bearable for me); I just have to be careful as I do have 2 damaged disks as well ... I can understand a bit of what your mom has and will go thru.

I am going to send up some ^PRAYERS^ for her for peace and comfort for her recovery, if you and her don't mind, as I really believe in the power of prayer ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #4  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

She'll definitely appreciate the prayers...Thanks so much guys.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I hope it all goes well!

Please give us an update when you can.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

me too. I pray for a good surgery and easy recovery. I pray for healing in every area. I am so sorry your mom and you have to go through this. I would have picked a pumpkin pie or cake--the hot chocolate was a good choice!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

My mom has also had surgery on her spine, hers was closer up towards her neck. I've been through the worry & stress & sadness too. Your mom & family are in my prayers!! Stay strong for her, and she'll be fine . We're here girlie. Let us know how it goes!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #8  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers... From personal experience, I'm thinking she'll be a different person when she has less pain.... she'll be so relieved... Stay strong so she can lean on you for awhile...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Your mom is in my prayers
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Your mom is in my prayers....you too.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

that's really tough! I'm so sorry your mom and all of you have to go through it. Let me throw in my prayers.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #12  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Just wanted to give you some hope, my Mom had the same kind of surgery last spring. It was successful, and the next day she had immediate relief on the pinched nerve pain. 6 weeks later she was pretty much healed up. She's in so much better health now.

I'll pray that your Mom's surgery is a success too!
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote