Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #1  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

Default Dry skin?

Anyone else have a problem with this.. I know I am not getting all the water I am supposed to, but I get about 40 ounces in a day which is way more than I did before surgery.

I am completely dry all over and it is icky!
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Well, I know for me, its age, my skin is very dry. I use Gold Bond softening lotion with Shea Butter.. its the best I've found on the market, and you can get it in almost any store by me. Also... I notice a difference when I'm getting enough protein and omega 3's. Water is definitely plays a big part too.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

40 ounces is not nearly enough.... my 35lb daughter was having a constipation problem and that was the minimum recommended amount she needed.

I am no better then you in getting in my water.. I try and compensate by drinking soups and teas.. liquid, any liquid is necessary. I probably also get about 40 ounces.. but then again I have THE worst dry skin (hence the name paperskin).
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

sindurella - drink your water. AND, as Leenie says, find a really good moisturizer. also be sure that you're getting at least a LITTLE fat in your diet - doesn't take much, but you do need a little bit.

and then there's the usual suggestion about NOT taking long hot showers <sigh>, because hot water dries your skin out. i love those moisturizing body washes - and there used to be a product that was an in-shower moisturizer that i LOVED - it's hard to find, but i still have a tube or too that i'm hording. it's wonderful for the winter dry skin.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Also take 5000 mg for hair skin and nails.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Oh man - I soooooo can appreciate HATING dry skin!! Especially as the very dry winter comes near! My skin gets so dry it cracks and bleeds at times. Or it's so tight it itches until it burns! Oh gosh, it's just terrible.

I know you didn't ask for them, but here are my tips!

+Water, water, water. Not only helps combat dry skin, but also makes you warmer in the winter!
+Not hot showers - though I always forget that, because it feels SO good to warm up after coming in from all the snow and ice!
+GREAT lipbalm!!! - I use burts bees, or aquaphor.
+And GREAT lotion! - Right now, I have a mix of body butter from bath and body works (which I stock up on every time I fly to the lower 48, because we don't have a BaBW up here yet), Cetaphil for my face, and a special feet lotion from bath and body works that I bought to try out, and it works great.

Dear boyfriend also gets VERY dry in the winter; and his skin is much darker (hispanic and native alaskan mix) so it's a little more noticeable.. we try to remember to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

We also have a humidifier we use religiously in the winter. It's a frog one, because I got to pick it out And we got it from bed bath and beyond - love it!

Last edited by GradPhase; 11-02-2009 at 02:44 PM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #7  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

Annie 5000 mg of what?

Thanks all.... my skin has never behaved this way so I am sure it has to do with water/protein intake.. I will just have to try and force more down my gullet each day.

I have been soaking in baby oil and vitamin E in a lukewarm water and using either a body butter or deep healing lotions and it is still so dry I have scales.

ICKY!
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

HEY SINDUR: I'm so with you and all of these people have the right advise. I've got cracked hands year around and have just made up a mix of liquid Vit E, baby oil and vasoline. Be careful using it at bedtime, so slick you might just fly out of bed!!! I'd think my weight should be a lot less with all the skin I shed!! I'm two years out and still fight getting the water in everyday, and really notice with my skin and blood circulation in my fingers suffer because I don't drink enough. I think I'm a little better than when I first started out.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #9  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Oh sorry, duh... BIOTIN.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote