Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Question A Question about Calories vs. Fat intake

Good Morning My "Chickie" friends,
Ok question, I started logging my food on fitday Did very good yesterday to keep my fat grams at 15g per meal calories at 1200. (OK I DO have almost 100lbs to loose) I ate small meals through out the day and was not hungry. Went grocery shopping last night for all my "healthy" foods (God help THAT food bill ugh) I am also using Alli. Also signed up for Curves....

My question:
For breakfast I had a glass of OJ (no pulp) 1 banana and a Special K protein bar. I recorded it and it was great EXCEPT once i added the OJ it put me at 500 cals?????? that's half of what I am taking in a day almost!!!!!!!!!!! All because of OJ???? My fat grams were only 5 grams.

Any opinions on this??????

I was shocked

readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah - juices can be REALLY high in calories. And I make an effort to EAT my calories, instead of drinking them...otherwise, they just go too quickly! Since weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out, I just don't get enough benefit from something like juice to want to consume it on a regular basis.

Next time, try eating an orange...they've got only a fraction of the calories, plus all the fiber of whole fruit that you just don't get in a glass of juice, so it'll fill you up.

If you really want juice, you can keep portion sizes small by mixing a bit of juice with a lot of seltzer or mineral water. That way you get the flavor, but the calories are kept in check.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #3  

A cup of orange juice will have 3-4 oranges. Juice is not the best choice. It is high in calories and no fiber. Always eat the whole fruit and if you have to drink OJ at least get the one with pulp. One orange will fill you up a lot longer than juice.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Consider it a lesson learned.

Eat normally for the rest of the day. A few calories over is better than starving yourself to stay under 1200 and ending up binging later.

Like everyone above - I have a rule that says beverages should be as close to 0 calories as possible. I MUCH prefer fruit to juice, and I can't remember the last time I had fruit juice.

If you really like juice with breakfast, how about V8? Vegetable juices are a better choice.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Yep bought V8 too and forgot I did LOL ok and also I am a HUGE HUGE water drinker ALWAYS have been so that is to my benefit and love unsweetened ice tea.......but i was just shocked good lord on the OJ issue but i will have it sparingly. I'm not a big juice lover anyway...

HOW about coffee...splenda....no fat creamer? I have 1-2 cups a day...in the morning generally what do you think of that?
readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Sounds like a great idea! I like coffee in the morning too. I use stevia in mine, but Splenda works too.

Water is of course the best of all

on your first 5 lbs. You are off to a good start.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also think if you have a really low fat meal like that, that you shouldn't take alli. I've heard others say but you can also figure out the math. 5g of fat is 45 calories. Alli will absorb 25% of that so basically Alli absorb 11 calories total for that meal. Of course it is up to you but seems to be a waste.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote