Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #53

Just peeking in on my way up with a load from the dryer . . . .

Susan -- I'm so glad you are feeling better! Ernie has a laser light, loves anything with catnip, has the circle thing with the ball in the track, and likes to chase milk bottle caps around. Since he still has his claws he likes to flip things in the air and bat at them. Enjoy your Bible study tonight.

Maggie -- It's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood for a change. The sun has been out all day but it doesn't feel that warm outside. Olivia sounds like she is one sharp cookie. I'm sure she will remind you when she turns 5! I just got a new set of pans and for the heck of it measured how much my old mismatched pans held. My favorite pan was a 3 qt. size and deep rather than wide. My new has a 6 qt. (too big) and a 3.5 qt. saute pan which is not deep and too wide. I'm going to be shopping for a 3 qt. sized pan asap! Ernie was neutered before we could adopt him from the vet. He has followed me around most of the day and been good. I'm not holding my breath for it to last however.

DW update . . . the store owner can't get anyone from the company to talk to him! He called and said if he ever gets to talk to a real person and gets no satisfaction, as in a part, he will give me the # and I can have at it too. This is ridiculous!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all! It is raining, again, and coming down at a pretty good clip this morning though not particularly cold, a little cool, but pretty nice for the end of October except for the darn rain all the time. I missed my leaf cleaning opportunity yesterday so will have to wait until everything dries out now.

Jean: Have you tried looking online to see if they have a website and then looking up stuff that way. That is what I do when I am irritated about a consumer issue. I find the website and go after the CEO or whatever I can until I get satisfaction. Ernie would have fun here. K and T bought Jack a pen size laser light for his birthday.

Maggie: I bought a set of Rachel Ray cookware and like it except the ceramic outside discolored. I knew it would because it said to hand wash it and I put it in the dishwasher, but it didn't say you had to handwash it on the outside of the box or I wouldn't have bought it.

Susan: I coughed and coughed yesterday and last night and am wheezy this morning so I am sure it is allergies for me too. I don't have congestion or anything like that, just coughing, sneezing and the wheeziness.

I finished my niece's handbag and it is drying now. I will post a pick after I can put the handle on after it is dry. It turned out cute I think. I just hope it isn't too infantile for her, but I don't think so. I am going to work on Jackson's sweater today and try and get it finished up. I washed and dried t's sweater and it came out so nice and soft and shrunk just a tad so it is even better now. I sure hope they like them having them match. I am going to order the rest of Jackson's Christmas stuff this week and then it is wrap time. Jean, you have time to come to my house in a couple weeks and wrap my presents?

I got the upstairs cleaned and am going to move stuff from around the washer and dryer and clean it this evening. It gets nasty pretty quickly.

You all have a nice Tuesday and hope your day is sunnier than mine looks like it is going to be.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is promising to be another nice day and Bob is long gone. He had full wagons ready for the drive to the elevator which he could do in the dark. They close at 7 PM so the guys fill the trucks and wagons after that. I need to do some ironing and run a couple errands later.

I'm waiting for a phone call this morning. I am on a committee at church that fills vacancies on all the other committees which work to make the church run smoothly. I have 3 positions, on the same committee, and had 5 names to call. The trick has been to find people home in the first place; I started calling last Wednesday! One guy said he would think about it and call me back which he never did. I called him again last night and he agreed to help out. I've had 3 'nos' right off the bat and I'm hoping today is another 'yes.' My committee meets again tonight so will have to get more names to call. I didn't realize this would be so time consuming when I agreed to do it!

Maddy has tested positive for flu type 'A' and in Sioux City if one has that they assume that they also have the H1N1 flu. She just ran a temp and complained her head hurt. Beth said she has been sleeping a lot which is probably the best medicine. I notice the tv media is still calling it the swine flu. There have been some comments in the local papers, by the hog producers, stating they are boycotting any network that calls it swine flu.

"Gma" -- I thought I would give the store owner a chance to do the searching first. I'm about ready to ask for a new dw or take the touch panel out of one on display! When we bought our big screen TV a couple of years ago, we got it home and it quit working a day or two later. They did bring out a brand new one that time. We had it about 6 months and the lamp burned out; they had a hard time finding a new lamp because the model was so new and they hadn't made parts yet. I think we have replaced 2 of those now. I did the very same thing with one of my new pans! I hardly ever put pans in the dw, but did this one time. The outside is now a dull red! I don't know about the box but the instructions (reading after the fact) did say to hand wash. I hope your allergies are better today. My nose has been running, but think it is because I've been digging in the corners where the dust bunnies and cobwebs seem to be hiding. When the sun isn't shining they don't show!

Hope you all have a great day! I need to get dressed, put my face on, and get busy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Another nice day in the Heartland and I don’t have an agenda today. Well, I can think of what needs to be done but I don’t want to do anything. Ever feel like that? Sure you have. I will do something though. I did have a good loss at WW last evening. I lost what I had gained the previous week plus a tad bit more. I am going to get the back claws removed from the gray kitten called Ringo because of the stripes ringing his tail. He pushes off me when he is in his wild mode and I get holes in me. Poet (the black one because he is a Longfellow) is not as active as Ringo . Ringo prowls around looking for something to get into. If it looks like real good fun, then Poet will join in, but most of the time he just watches. They get to go to the vet next week for their booster shots for distemper and will be set for another year when we take them in for their check up. The vet here is super. I let my hair get a bit longer and have an upsweep in the back. My curls like to go that direction and it is working for me and real easy to keep this way. I think this Friday I will go in for a health trim and have her keep it about this length. My girl Tatum is my very most favorite hair dresser. Good to be happy with the one that messes with your hair. I am so thankful I found her. She was gone one time when I went in and the owner cut my hair and it was not to my liking at all. But I don’t ever raise a fuss about it for it does grow back. I just learn that way who to have do me. Will ordered the set of pans (which is half price for the season) and is filling it in with some other pieces we want which will end up costing more than the set, I imagine. These are the pans that the culinary schools use for their training of the chefs for the better restaurants. Tip top of the line. My uncle Jimmy who was the head chef at Hairras of Taho for years always used the best of equipment. He had flair. What a character he was. He passed at the age of 95 and his lady lived to be over 100. I went to her 100th birthday party and she was ambulatory and very bright at her age. What a gal. I have a lovely picture of them taken back in the 20’s when she was dressed as a flapper. That was the style back then. What a time to be living.

DONNA FAYE I'm not sure if this cookware an be put in the DW or not but I always have washed mine by hand anyway. Soak it a bit and it is easy to clean. I am anxious to see that purse. It sounds neat and I am sure she will be thrilled to get it. No more homes going up in smoke lately is good. I sure hope that is the last of it in your neighborhood. How is your dear hubby doing? I sure hope he is back to exact.

JEAN Isn't that the way of it. You find out later what a chore it is to do what you have kindly volunteeed to do. However, don't you find that this time of the year folks are ready to pitch in over the holidays more than at other times of the year. Folks get nicer it seems. I am sure I would opt for a different dish washer and not mess around with another repair. When our freezer kept sounding like a helacopter and after they fixed it twice, which didn't fix the problem, we had them exchange it for a different model completely. I love this one for when you close the door it sucks the air out that you have let get in when you had to door open. That sucking sound doesn't last long and it runs quietly the rest of the time. Nope if I were you I'd tell them to pick it up and bring a different one to you.

SUSAN Having a good day are you. Do please.

Type at y'all later. I still don't know what I want to do this day.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #5  

Good afternoon, ladies! 60 degrees and rain. Nuff said.

Faye, I can't wait to see the purse. If I can't put pans into the dishwasher, they better be disposable. I use cast iron skillets and clean them with salt. My other pans used to be a pretty green but not anymore. Very dull now. I've had my set for 34 years. I use the dutch oven when I make soup, but seldom use anything but the smallest pans now and bought 2 more, mismatched but I don't care, because I only run the dishwasher once a week.

Jean, I'd do like Faye. Is that the only appliance store in town? It doesn't seem like they have a good track record. I've dealt with the same store for 20 years now. Mr. Camel is so nice, does a great job of installing and removing and things always work. I hope Ernie continues to mind his Ps and Qs. The VA Health Department said if anyone comes down with the flu right now, they are assuming H1N1 since it isn't time for the regular flu to be around. Our schools are being hit hard. The one near my house has about 775 students and yesterday 177 reported off with the flu and 36 more were sent home. They have run out of the vaccine so no more clinics until more comes in.

Maggie, you better have that box ready at 12:01 am on that little girl's birthday!

Well, Bible Study is hazardous to WW...just too many treats. Fortunately I had my WAPs and APs to use. Next week I'm not getting there until the social time is almost over.

Have a good day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy hazy, but "warm" morning here. It is supposed to rain later this afternoon/evening. The weatherman said the Wyoming area got 21" of snow! At least I don't have to shovel rain. I got ambitious yesterday and pulled out furniture to vacuum underneath -- lots of hidden cobwebs! I have built in shelves and cupboards at one end of the livingroom. It is a "catch all" and I need to sort through the stuff, organize, and pitch!

Maggie -- Congrats on a losing week at WW! I don't know about people being more apt to volunteer around the holidays. I got a couple more names to call last night and am still waiting for the guy to call me back. Guess he forgot so if I don't hear from him today I will call him again. A couple others reported that they were told "NO!" in no uncertain terms and to not ask again! The dw part is coming to the house and is supposed to be here before Friday. I said that I thought maybe we should have just replaced the whole control panel in the first place instead of the timer. The store owner said they have certain steps to follow and if they don't, the manufacturer won't stand behind the product. That sounds like a runaround to me, but what do I know?!

Susan -- There is another appliance store but they only carry Maytag and imo Maytag has fallen way off the charts, for dependability, after my experience with the stove. We are 50/75 miles from any other sizeable retailer so feel it best to buy local for service purposes. I talked to Maddy on the phone yesterday and she was telling me she felt all better; her Halloween party is Friday and she was so afraid she would miss it. Beth said the medicine they gave her made her super hyper. She had to be temp free for 24 hours and then could go back to school. Our Des Moines Register has a 2 cents worth column where people can call in their opinions. Today one was about the gov't and flu shots saying that if they couldn't get enough vaccine ready in advance, how could they ever manage national health care. I think that is a good point. I don't see how the gov't can fine people if they don't buy the gov't insurance when people can't afford insurance now; the taxpayers who do buy their insurance will just end up paying more. There was also a comment about businesses taking away the health benefit for employees.

"Gma" -- Hope you are up and at 'em this morning!

I need to get moving so that I can have my piles put away when Bob gets home tonight. I have bells at 5 and may make a quick grocery stop afterwards if it's not raining yet. Have a GREAT day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #7  

Good morning everybody! Well at least it isn't raining. It poured down here all day yesterday. It was depressing. It is still overcast but at least not raining.

My son called this morning to get some info on his gift card I got him for his birthday and had great news. Though he hadn't been looking for a job, his old boss from several years ago was talking with a friend who is the general manager of WNDU the big tv station up there. As you can tell by the call letters, it is connected to Notre Dame University. Anyway, this guy was grousing about not having good advertising salesmen and that 2 of his big salesmen had left and that left his big ticket accounts without anyone. Cut to the chase, he met with Jay twice and offered him a job at Jay's price and Jay's terms and the guy said he is going to write it up. What the good thing is no more long traveling around Ill and Indiana. He likes where he works now, but this is a 6 figure potential job he just couldn't pass up and they agreed to all his terms I guess.

Here is my little handbag for my niece. I think it is just adorable and just right for a teen to carry what she needs in it without it being too big. I may put a snap on it so it had a closure for her though. I gave you two views the front and side so you can see the drawstring effect to it.

Jean: Glad Maddie is feeling better. Hopefully she won't pass it on. Our policy is if they vomit at school or run a temp of at least 100 they must stay home for at least 24 hours with neither before returning to school. Of course, parents rarely follow it and that is why this stuff runs rampant through the school. I am sure she is anxious for her party. That and Christmas and Valentine's day were the best when I was in elementary eons ago.

Maggie: congrats on the loss! I know you have to be happy to be heading back down again. I am stuck in limbo partly because I am retaining water even though I take a diuretic. I am going to have to talk to the dr when I go in there and find out what I can do. I drink plenty of fluids and am staying OP everyday but I know I need more exercise for one thing.

Susan: Hope you like the purse. I think it is cute and girly and it will go great with the little short sleeved cardigan I am going to make her for Christmas. Thought you might like a sneak peek at my summer sweater I have started for myself. I ended up going with this green called clover, though I think lettuce would be a better name for it. I love the pattern, though it takes some getting used to knitting wise. I of course goofed up the first four rows and had to go back and start them over because I forgot the last yarn forward before the last k stitch, but after that it has been smooth sailing even though I am only about 12 rows into the pattern.

Everyone hope you have a grand hump day. Remember that this weekend we set our clocks back!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthiespurse.jpg (28.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ruthie2.jpg (24.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg dsweater.jpg (30.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #8  

Quick good morning to you all. Jack should be down in a few as I just heard the shower turn off. It isn't raining!

I got an email message from the hotel we stay at when we go to Vegas about $1 days so I clicked on it. Boy, they really have to be hurting for visitors. This is the expensive time of the year and they are offering certain days for $1. In fact, the second week in November if you stay Sunday-Thursday, you can get Sun-Wed for $30 a night and Thur for a $1. Boy what a deal, $121 for five nights in vegas in a mini suite.

I had a sick stomach all day yesterday for some reason and am still a bit queasy this morning. Don't know why that is. Maybe I will just make myself a cup of hot tea and see if that helps.

Well, sounds like he is almost dressed. You all have a good one today. TTFN
Faye
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! We are back to rain and wind; the leaves are a blanket over the yards, driveways, and streets. They are too wet to mulch, bag, or blow. I just hope we have enough dry days after harvest to get them taken care of. I need to make a WM run this morning and do some more sorting.

"Gma" -- Jay's new job sounds like a great one! It is even better if they don't have to move and he doesn't have the travel. The handbag turned out so cute! I'm sure your niece will love it! The sweater stitch looks very delicate and pretty; I like the color whatever it is. I hope your stomach has settled down. Mine was a bit iffy last night. I went to bell practice and stopped at the grocery store on my way home. I had 7Up and crackers for my supper! I didn't sleep very well either; I felt like I dozed off and on all night. I feel fine this morning.

Maggie and Susan -- Hope you two are having a good day!

I'm off to run between raindrops and shop at WM! Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! Rain alternating with sun - go figure.

I've been really busy at work, but I've gone to Curves Tuesday and Wednesday. I just feel so much energized when I get enough exercise. Tommorow is WI and I don't feel like I've lost a thing. I only ate out once this week (and took half home), I've exercised, I gotten in my 9 HGs and only used a few of my extra points. I think the big loss I had last week was a real shock to my system. I won't let it discourage me!

Faye, she'll love the purse and I love your sweater. Such a pretty shade of green. I'm so glad you son has found a good job that will let him be at home more. Traveling with your job always sounds to glamourous until you have to do it. I did that in both jobs I had before this one, about 2 weeks out of the month on the road. It quickly became boring and tiring. I drink tea all the time, mostly Irish Breakfast in the morning and then Earl Grey or Lady Grey in the afternoon. I was so glad when I read black tea was full of antioxidants and equal to green tea. I drank a cup of green every day but I don't really enjoy it. I hope your stomach feels better.

Jean, I'm glad Maddie has recovered. H1N1 is still gaining strength in our area. I have to go to WM sometime Friday or Saturday - I go early before it is crowded. We have a very nice one. The leaves have just started turning so not too many leaves to rake yet. My yard man will take care of it for me.

Maggie, congratulations on the weight loss. Every ounce counts!

Have a good day.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MANGNOLAS

It is a so so day here in the Heartland. Feels like a cook fall day though. Got the kittens their follow up shots and the vet suggested we just trim the back nails of Ringo and give that a try before we spring for another hundred dollars to get them removed. Poet is so much mellow and I have not seen nor felt his back claws. Ringo is just so much more active and I love him so. I am making a big pot of chicken noodle soup this day. I have homemade wide noodles and Schwans white meat chicken cubes. I chopped up an onion and sliced up some carrots and celery earlier and so I have it all ready to go. Got some foccacia bread to slice toast up and we shall have a marvelous dinner. Makes my mouth water to think about it. I have a house copper wrapped and don’t want to start soldering it just yet for I do have some housework I need to get done while Will is down at his volunteer job.

DONNA FAYE I do so hope you are feeling better. Your handbag is darling and I am sure she will like it. Love the item you showed you are making for yourself. I don’t think I have ever knitted that stitch. Wow ~ those are great prices for Lost Wages. (I have always called Las Vegas that). I understand they need to do something for they were cut out of some business they were counting on.

JEAN So you also had a touch of the crud. Glad you are feeling much better. Isn’t that just the way of it to have the rain wet down all those leaves that fell so you can’t get them moved. They are like glue when they get rained on. And ugly to boot.

SUSAN Being busy is good. I bet you do show a loss but not as big a one as you had last week. That was a whooping big loss.

Take care of yourselves. Type at y’all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone! Hope you all are not drowning like we are again, but it looked to be a real gully washer in a larger section north to south so I imagine you all have gotten it in one way or another. I am so very sick of rain. I want some beautiful sunshine. It is the one day I wish it were cool though. I have the cutest Halloween long sleeved top I want to wear today and I am afraid I will cook. It has to be in the 70's here this morning or close to it.

I have errands to run, my nails, pick up Walmart stuff I can't get at the commissary, drop of a box to go back to the knitting store to exchange, and clinic duty. I don't think they have anyone for today at all so I may just be a nice gal and go in after I am done with everything. I will just pick myself up a sandwich and some fruit at Walmarts and a diet soda and then I can eat whenever. I think I am going to take some candy to the school today and give a ziploc bag of it to Thomas to share with his class. I have a ton of those dumdum suckers and several unopened packages of premium licorice I bought in flavors on HSN. I am sure the kids won't turn it down and since it is lunchtime they can have it with their lunches.

Jean: Jay can sell ice to eskimos. He is truly amazing. His first sales job was several years ago selling hot tubs and then he went to work for the company he works for now selling big huge manufacturing machinery. This job entails selling tv advertising. The thing with Jay is thank goodness something stuck from his raising, he is dead honest and fair. If he quotes you a price, you can be sure it is the best price he can get you and then he always keeps up with you, you know service after the sale kind of thing. His customers love him and some of them have actually become friends. He is very personable without the "car salesman" schmooz. I bet he could be one heck of a Vegas casino host!

Susan: I had Earl Grey for the first time a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner with the kids and my stomach was queasy. It is sure a different taste from your normal Lipton isn't it! I have never seen Lady Grey what is it like? I haven't ever drank green tea. We are going out to eat tonight, but I told Jack it must be to somewhere I can stay within my points. He is stuck around 211 so I imagine that is what is good for him so he is where he should be. If he decides once in awhile to have dessert or whatever when we eat out, he can, but it is disaster for me. I rarely eat dessert and if I do, I share some with Jack. I think we are going to go to Ruby Tuesdays so I can have salad bar and the mashed cauliflower tonight.

Maggie: I am still having queasy stomach, but at least I know I am not pregnant! How awful that would be. My children would die of shame probably! I can't imagine us carting around a baby at our age. I know I am sick and tired of being sick and tired as they say. I have a dr appt the 12th and I am going to get to the bottom of why I am not sleeping, this female stuff, and all of it. I think the queasiness may be just lack of sleep. I never sleep anymore properly anyway.

I have about 1/3 of one side of the sweater done and I absolutely love how the pattern looks. Though lacy, it isn't seethrough so I think it will be nice and cool for summer vacations. I made it is a size 18 or so as I won't be down to goal next summer yet.

Well, I am going to go. I need to eat and get showered and do my morning chores than head out in a couple hours and get stuff done. Have a wonderful weekend. For us, it is commissary weekend, UGH! We need groceries though so I have to go.
Faye
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is peeking through the clouds and it is 50 degrees all ready. Maybe it will be a nice day after all. I have a couple errands to run and then need to vacuum . . . again. I think "someone" is manufacturing dust around here!

I got the grandkids' Halloween cards ready at the beginning of October . . . you guessed it . . . I forgot to mail them. Bob is going to take them to the little town west of us so just maybe they will get them tomorrow. My brain must be on "hold!"

Susan -- I'm glad you are able to go to Curves because I know that you enjoy it. I just wish ours was in a better location with parking lot type parking instead of downtown. I don't care for green tea and have always enjoyed black tea. I hope you were pleased with your encounter with the WW iron monster.

Maggie -- Your soup sounds ! I've never had the back claws removed on any of our cats but know the feeling when they leap off your lap.

"Gma" -- You have a busy day planned for today! We have an "ex" bil who could sell snow/ice in Alaska. I always said he wasn't what he appeared to be and after a few years his true colors came through. Now he lives in AZ and wheels 'n deals in Mexico; I'm sure he is 3/4 crooked! I like Constant Comment tea and I think it is the orange flavor. At least the package is orange and black. Enjoy your time at the clinic -- they will be with Halloween excitement!

I hope the sun is shining on you wherever you are and that you have a GREAT TFIG kind of day!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #14  

Good afternoon ladies. The sun is out but it is only 63 degrees.

The scale was kind to me - down 1.4 pounds for a total of 11.6 in 2 weeks. Since I have my quilting retreat next week, I'd have to go to WW on Monday or Tuesday so I don't know if I will. I guess it would be good if I got a little extra inspiration for the weekend because I don't think my weight will change much by then. Glory and I are going to Happy Belly for dinner this evening.

Faye, I hope you get to the bottom of your not sleeping soon. It's no fun being tired all the time. I start my day with Irish Breakfast Tea (4 on the strengh scale), then have English Breakfast (3) around ten, the Lady Grey (3) in the afternoons. I also like the Scottish breakfast but its hard to find and lapsoug (its smoked and very different, not for everyone). I don't care for Lipton any more but I do like their Vanilla Carmel tea occasionally. I really got into tea after I had to stop drinking coffee because of GERD.

Jean, I hope the grandchildren get the cards. I had a Halloween card for Glory and forgot all about it until you mentioned your cards so I just wrote it and will take it to her this evening.

Maggie, thanks for the encouragement!

Have a good day!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and the weatherman has promised the next 5 days to be dry, "warmer," and nice! Bob left for the farm in hopes they might have some dryer areas to work in. We have the memorial service at church tonight and again tomorrow morning, so I need to figure out what I'm going to wear. Since the sun is shining I can see the dust on the furniture . . . I just dusted a week ago for crying out loud!

Susan -- Congratulations on losing another 1.4#! As always I had to smile at you eating at Happy Belly last night! Do you buy your tea at a specialty tea shop? You mention flavors and brands I have never heard of.

"Gma" and Maggie --

I need to get busy and accomplish something today! Hope you all have an enjoyable day!

Jean -- from Iowa!