Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Question Need opinions/thoughts...?

Maybe someone else has had to go through a similar experience and can add input.

My schnauzer (almost 8 years old) is ill. Took him to the vet because he wasn't acting like himself, she did x-rays and tests...an assortment really. He has an infection (and a fever, though we're trying to get it down), and a bladder stone.

He's on medicine to keep the fever down, and 2 different antibiotics for the infection. However, once the infection is taken care of, the vet wants to operate on his stone.

So far the costs (of the exam, antibiotics, special food, x-rays, blood work, etc) have hit just over $400.

I love my dog, but I'm terrified about the cost of surgery. I tried to google and some people say that it'll be $400-500, while someone on yahoo answers said their vet charged them $900!

That seems like a large gap....can anyone shed some light on the situation for me? From what I saw in the x-rays, the stone looks pretty big...which is why passing it isn't an option for him I guess? I'm just trying to get a guesstimate as to what the cost will be so I don't faint when I hear it.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 10-28-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #2  

I am so sorry about your dog. It's awful having a sick pet.

Vet care costs vary depending on different parts of the country and the availability of care. Probably the best thing is to call your vet and explain that you need an estimate. My vet is good about that--I think most are b/c few people have pet insurance and vets know that people need to work payment into their budgets. If you elect for your dog to have the surgery and can't pay cash, ask the vet if they have a payment plan. Most vets around me do (again, they're used to people not having pet insurance) and would rather arrange for a payment plan than allow an animal (esp. an otherwise healthy animal) to go untreated. My vet even has a "foundation" for people who can't afford care for their pets. Don't be afraid to ask!

Also, this is pretty big stuff; you might want to take your dog for a second opinion or find a vet who can help you with the finances.

Good luck!
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

Your vet can't give you a cost? My vet is always able to provide at least a cost estimate (assuming no complications).

Also, you might check and see if your vet will let you make payments.

There are also 3rd parties that can provide low cost financing. If you ask your vet, they should have some brochures. Here is a link to one that I found juts by Googling "Financing for Pet Surgery".

Good luck and hope your fur baby gets better!
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Here in California it is expensive! for surgeries...one of my dogs cost me $1,500.00

I was able to afford it....she was still very youg too...

It is not an easy choice when we have to deal with $$$ and our pets...my poor brother has spent a fortune on his cocker and still may lose her...sad..

I wish you the best and you are in my prayers!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #5  

I didn't ask the vet for an estimate. I was overwhelmed by all the information on the antibiotics, a follow up appointment to check his blood work, and keeping tabs on his temp. He needs to get over the infection before we can tackle the stone.

The surgery isn't a yes or no choice. He needs to have it. The stone is big and it could cause a blockage. Good to know most vets can work out a payment plan if I need to do that.

The whole situation is just really upsetting, especially since my cousin just had to put her schnauzer down about a week ago (different reasons). This vet had to do the same surgery on her own schnauzer, so that's a comfort at least.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #6  

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. Thought I'd post an update.

My dog's fever is down, he's at a normal temperature. His infection seems to be getting better, and the vet plans to do surgery in about 2 weeks. Going to cost around $750, but that's much better than $1500!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Good news! Prayers continue.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote