Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/229/155

Height: 5'5"

Default MRC & Bi Polar

My husband and I just started MRC and are actually seeing results. Our teenage daughter would like to do the program as well but she has controlled bi-polar and was told she can't do the program because of it. Anyone know why? I asked at my center and they couldn't give me a very good answer. They only said that it can mess with their system and cause them to become unstable. I'd like to know why so we could adjust the program for her so she could lose weight with us. Any advice?
HotMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I hope there is someone qualified enough to help you find an answer on this. All the best. --Joy2MeNu
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #3  
rip

S/C/G: 282

Height: 5 11

A lot of doctors recommend MRC to patients so your doctor may be the best person to talk to. If they don't know you could possibly try calling a Dr.s hotline and get the answers. Regardless I would speak to her Dr.

Started MRC 5/9/09
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #4  
rip

S/C/G: 282

Height: 5 11

I won't be going to my center until Sat. but I will also ask them if they know why....but like I said previously not matter what you find out please talk to her Dr.

Started MRC 5/9/09
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMama View Post
My husband and I just started MRC and are actually seeing results. Our teenage daughter would like to do the program as well but she has controlled bi-polar and was told she can't do the program because of it. Anyone know why? I asked at my center and they couldn't give me a very good answer. They only said that it can mess with their system and cause them to become unstable. I'd like to know why so we could adjust the program for her so she could lose weight with us. Any advice?
The only thing I can possibly reason would be the ketotic state changing the rate of metabolism of her meds but this is a stretch... You're not the 1st person to state this on this forum, I've heard another person complain of being turned away for the same reason. I would discuss this with her MD, explain that the diet consists of remaining in a mild state of ketosis the majority of the time and see if he as any thoughts. If he is unsure, contact the center, ask for headquarters # and speak to one of the medical physicians or equivelent for MRC, someone should have a reasonable explanation for not allowing these pt's to participate in the plan. Good Luck, Hope you find your answer and I would be interested to hear what it is when you do :0)
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 239/229/155

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for your input. I will discuss it with her MD. I never thought about talking to MRC corporate for their thoughts on it. I'll let you all know what I find out.
HotMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/See Ticker/134

Height: 5'4"

This topic sparked my interest so I googled up on it. Basically (really basic that is) the MRC diet is a low carb diet and they want us to go into ketosis to help with fat loss. Right now, there's a lot of research on ketones and being bi-polar, like being on a low carb diet may actually help control mood swings. Also, the hormone seritonin (a mood elevator) is produced after eating carbs. Since this is a low-carb diet, our seritonin levels could possibly be lower causing mood swings. So in all reality, MRC is protecting themselves by not allowing people that are bi-polar on their program because the diet itself causing mood swings and they don't want to be responsible for anything that could happen with the added mental condition.

The best thing to do is to talk to her doctor about this and have him/her help with finding a weight loss program that would be best. Show him/her the menu and discuss it. Most likely, MRC is going to stick to their decision, but since you and your husband are on it you both can help keep her on track if you decide this diet will work for her too. And we're here for you too.

Something else I thought was interesting, I found another forum on low-carb diets and they have a group there of people who are bi-polar and trying to lose weight. It may be usefull. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ge...wn-thread.html
desilu0 is offline   Reply With Quote