South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #1  

Default is there a way to use Jospeh's Pita's ?

I am new to SB and prior to starting was using the Joseph's Pita' ( Flax, Oat Bran, & Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread) as well as the Jospeh's Lavosh 1/2 for a wrap and then used them also for a modified pizza...

Are these things I can continue using ?? I love the pitas as I can make wonderful stuffed sandwiches with them or tacos etc...

Help a New South Beacher
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  

Hi Crenita- What phase are you in?
meelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #3  

Just starting so I know they wouldn't work for the first 2 weeks but am hoping I can add them in for phase 2...

I have been doing low fat, low calorie and have been totally stalled for months .. I need to shake up my plan and think I need the higher protein diet plan than a regular low fat one provides. In fact I am craving protein products so i suspect that is my issue...
Hopeing SB will be the answer to get me out of this stall and onto more weightloss... ..I am just concerned about doing all this cooking.. I am not good at follow through even with good intentions.. That was why I was hoping that the Joesph products work as i can do wonders with stuffing them with grilled veggies or tuna or chicken breast etc..
I just wish there were more SB frozen meals to take some of th cooking out of this plan....
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Flax, Oat Bran & Omega 3 Pita Bread

INGREDIENTS: WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN STARCH, FLAX, OAT FIBER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, OAT BRAN, YEAST, ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, SOY FLOUR, SOY OIL, SESAME FLOUR, SALT, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, DEXTROSE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (A PRESERVATIVE), FUMARIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, MONODIGLYCERIDES, SUCARLOSE, SODIUM METABISULFITE.
CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

Since corn starch is the third ingredient, above oats & whole wheat, would be concerning to me. Guess I'd leave it up to more veteran SB people.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

ugh, thanks Anne. I should be more careful. They also contain splenda which we try to avoid in our house. Rats
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, Crenita, and If you are just getting started with the South Beach Diet, I strongly suggest that you read the book first, so you'll be acquainted with the fundamentals of how this plan works, and become familiar with the approved foods for each phase of this plan. We do have the up-to-date food lists stickied in our FAQ section of this forum, but the book has a wealth of important information that you'll need in order to make this diet a success for you. Good luck, and we hope to see you here often!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

I can't believe I didn't read the ingredient list on these. They are one of the things we were buying before SBD that I didn't bother to question. I rarely eat wraps of any kind but still no excuse for getting sloppy. The thing is I know that low carb products are really suspect because they try to make them more like processed flour than whole grain. From now on it's Trader Joe's whole grain tortillas when I need a sandwich or pizza.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cyndi, do you have Ezekiel products available in your area? I use them frequently, and they are yummy. As far as I can tell, their cereals, breads and tortillas are 100% SBD compatible.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 10-28-2009 at 06:32 AM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Cottage - I can get those and they would be good for pizzas. I wouldn't use freezer wraps for sandwiches though. On those very rare occasions when I need a quick portable lunch a ww wrap with veggie meat & laughing cow and a bag of crunchy veggies does the trick. It looks like the Trader Joe's tortillas will work. They also have corn starch (maybe to keep the wraps from sticking??) but it's at the end of the ingredient list and no sugars or sugar subs. I'll keep looking though. I would never eat 2 slices of any kind of bread, so that won't work. Now I'm on a mission
Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

There are lots of other choices you can try, Crenita. Look for 100% whole-wheat (WW) tortillas, 100% WW pitas, and other types of pitas and tortillas or wraps. Try FlatOuts (click on "Products" and then on each one to get to links to the nutritional info--try Harvest Wheat in the "Healthy Grain" and Mini categories, or Whole Wheat in the Mini category) for wraps and pizzas, and look around for other options with better ingredients.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #11  
Working on healthy

Laurie - Here's the challenge:
Flatout Mini 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Preservative Free Ingredients:

Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Vital Wheat Gluten, Liquid Brown Sugar, Soy Flour Contains Less Than 2% Of Each Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Cultured Wheat Flour, Prune Juice Concentrate, Oat Fiber, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Oats, Sunflower Seeds, Yeast, Caramel Color, Cellulose Gum, Millet, Fumaric Acid, Vinegar, Flax Seed, Salt, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Cracked Wheat, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Calcium Sulfate, Culture Wheat Starch, Annatto Color, Enzymes, L-Cysteine.

Tons of ingredients including liquid brown sugar as the 4th ingredient. IMO these aren't that far off the Joseph's Low Carb. It's a tough choice to make.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #12  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Wow, I just bought a bunch of these (actually the "hearty healthy" ones, not the low carb ones)... I thought I remembered them having really good ingredients, so I didn't check, just snapped them up .... What's with the corn starch in a pita???

Anyone ever try making them?
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...A-BREAD-108122
I think I will try this! Um, that is, after I get through all the Joseph's ones that I bought...

ETA: That was obviously the wrong link. Thanks for pointing that out below, Anne. Here is the proper link: http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/01...e-wheat-pitas/

Last edited by EmmaD; 11-04-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: POSTED WRONG LINK!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Whole Wheat Pita Bread
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon honey
1 1/4 cups warm water (105–115°F)
2 cups bread flour or high-gluten flour, plus additional for kneading
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Cornmeal for sprinkling baking sheets

EmmaD, these are not 100% whole grain, due to the 2 cups of bread flour. No corn meal either. Has to be all whole grain, not part. Many "whole wheat" products are guilty of this. That's why it's so important to read labels.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cyndi, I don't really see that as a challenge. I can pronounce and know what most of the ingredients are in the FlatOut, plus the first three ingredients (ingredients are listed in order of how much of them there is in the item, biggest amount first, which I know you know, Cyndi, but some might not ), are all safe, healthy things that I trust. The liquid brown sugar is questionable, but it's not HFCS, and the overall grams of sugar (2g for this one) is lower than we're allowed per serving of dressing, so I figure it's safe. The Joseph's one, however, has corn starch as one of the top three ingredients and has a lot of different types of soy products, which makes me wary. I also don't like that there are so many ingredients I can't recognize or pronounce. So the decision to have the FlatOuts would be easy for me in this comparison.

That's just how I figure things out--but if you know that even the small amount of sugar will bother you, or you have other reasons for not liking this product, it might not be something you'd choose. It's good for the members to hear lots of perspectives, and you always add so much to any discussion, so I'm glad you've pointed this out, Cyndi!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Cyn have you tried the Tj's Soy Pita. . .Very good!!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote