Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #1  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Default Exercise weight gain?

Ok, so maybe I'm just venting my frustration... the logical part of me knows there could be a million different reasons that my body likes to lose and regain the same 3 pounds... BUT the illogical part of me is frustrated. LOL.

I've just recently started working out (last week) and I know I need to give my body time to adjust. However, that didn't stop me from hoping that my new level of activity would show some losses on the scale. Before I started exercising I was slowly, but steadily, losing weight. Now my scale is stuck and inching up...

My caloric intake should be fine. I range between 1600-1700 calories a day (while my Fitday says I can eat 1770 with a sedetary lifestyle.) So I don't think it is that...
I've heard people retain water when they exercise so their muscles can repair themselves... so it could be that. But it's still discouraging. Mostly I'm just trying not to think about it. The exercise itself really is making me feel great and my clothes aren't any tighter... Patience is a virtue, right?

I guess I just knew I could vent to you guys. Thanks!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

muscles will retiain water in the repair process. however this is a small amount the bigger the muscle the more water. and its only peak for a day then subsides over the next 2
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #3  
Kae

Thanks for the reply...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I retain water every time I change my exercise plan, particularly if I add in any strength training. Mine sometimes hangs on for close to a week.

It will pass! Good luck.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #5  
Kae

Thanks...

I'm just going to stick with it and wait for the scale to follow. I also think it might be a good idea to take some measurements and see if I'm losing any inches.

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #6  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

I take measurements and watch the scale. It's the part of the reason I didn't let my weight bother me mid-week. The scale hadn't moved at all but I checked some inches and I'd lost. So I kept going. ^^

A good way to keep your water weight in check is to be sure you're drinking enough, number one, and that you're giving your body rest days, too. The recommended target for water intake is half your weight in ounces. At 230, I needed to aim to drink 115 ounces, for example. And 224 (yay, me too!) we should be drinking at least 112 ounces. ^^
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #7  
Out is Through

im happy you posted this kae, i was going to ask the same exact question this morning!! we're stuck together
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you're doing really well.. I bet those 3 lbs will be forever gone in no time! Stay strong
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #9  
Kae

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the responses... I took my measurements last night, as I hadn't taken any since about 30 lbs ago, and I have lost inches. So that felt good.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

I know your frustration! I recently bought a Bowflex and I really like using it however I have not lost one ounce since I started working out on it when before the Bflex I was dropping 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. Thank goodness I dont rely on the scale to show my progress and I am not the type to weight in too often either so I will just wait it out and see what happens. I feel stronger already and my clothes are loose so something must be happening. I hear muscle weights more that fat.
whip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #11  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

Good things come to those who wait!! You are probably building muscle...and ultimately muscle burns calories, hang in there and the weight will start dropping!!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote