General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/162.4/130

Height: 5'6

Default Need suggestions for a good dessert wine.

Hi all,

I was thinking about dessert wines today. I absolutely love them and it took me a while to come across them. So far I have tried a type of port wine, sherry and another wine I forgot its name.

Anyways I am no wine wiz as you can probably tell but I wanted to get some suggestions for good dessert wines (nothing expensive. if i say $10 a bottle would I sound cheap?? lol)

There is trader joes here and they have an amazing wine collection but I just get lost.
sweettooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #2  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i like white Riesling and ice wines for dessert wines. My favorite cheap brands are Fetzer and Barefoot.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Trader Joe's has a good riesling.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In some circles it's considered a bit unsophisticated (at least if drunk as anything but a dessert wine), but I love Muscatos (wines made from Muscat grapes).

Ironically, I think that the Muscatos taste very much like the ice wines (which have a much better reputation, but usually a much larger pricetag).

Muscatos are usually fairly low in alcohol, with a sweet and clean taste. In Italy, I've been told they're popular as summer drinks (sort of like lemondade) served with ice, and also as dessert wines.

Muscato d' Asti is a sparkling wine (my favorite), but in general, sparkling or not, the Muscatos are inexpensive. I've tried almost every Muscato I've come across that sells for less than $20. One of my favorites is Bricco Riella Moscato D'Asti which usually sells for around $9 locally.

Ironically, the lower priced Muscatos tend to be (in my opinion) every bit as good, if not better than the more expensive varieties (though the alcohol content is also usually a bit lower).

This is hilarious, but what's in my fridge right now is a bottle of $3.99 screw-top muscato wine (Chateau LaSalle Moscato Blanc). I didn't see the price tag until after I bought it (I just saw a Moscato that I hadn't yet tried), and it's surprisingly good - comparable to many of the $12 bottles I've bought.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote