Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #1  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

Default What was your "UGH!" moment?

I am just starting out, as I have said in other posts. I was just wondering if you could share what the moment was like for you when you became committed?

I was sitting on my bed changing my daughter's diaper and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. That was just a few days ago, and up until that point, I think I tried to avoid looking at myself in the mirror at all, besides above my neck. I thought to myself, "My god...how did I get so fat?!" And, that was my moment. Well, the BIG moment anyway. There were several other moments, too. But, that was the one that got me started.

Care to share yours?
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

My biggest "ugh" moment actually happened a while before I decided to start loosing weight.

I'm in a sorority, I know my sisters don't care that I'm heavy but for a while, I was one of the heaviest women we have in chapter. For formal recruitment (the new PC term for Rush), we all order the same shirt. Chapter's order only when through a size XL through American Apparel, which runs notoriously small; there was no way that I was going to fit into an XL. And while it seems like just a shirt, without these shirts, I don't go to Recruitment, and not going to Recruitment means I have no say in the women who will then become my sisters.

So I had to email and call and beg to see if American Apparel even carried a XXL, pay more money per shirt to even be able to order that size and still had to wear Spanx the whole weekend. It was one of the most humiliating experiences I've had because normally, I can just buy clothes that fit and no one has to know the size. I just couldn't believe that my

We changed companies this past year and it wasn't an issue. Plus, those shirts actually fit me now. I've also made sure that we always offer through at least an XXL and I will stand up for those sisters who can't do it for themselves. But that weekend sticks in the back of my mind as "I can't believe I let myself go so much" moment.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #3  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

I had several things happen that pushed me to get started.

The first thing that just got me really down was of course a picture taken at my aunts birthday dinner. I thought I looked pretty good for the night. I got all dressed up, did my makeup and hair, and was having a good time. Then we took pictures and well...I had never looked fatter.

Then about a month later I went to the fair with my dad. He wanted to ride all of the rides. I did too but I was scared I wouldnt fit. I sucked it up because I didnt want to tell him and figured if he thought I would fit, since he wanted us to ride them, then I would give it a go. I *barely* fit into most of them. At one point when one of the workers came around to check the above your shoulders thing he stood there for longer than a couple seconds pushing the thing down so it would click. I couldnt breath and the metal on the side of the seat was absolutely killing my thunder thighs. As we rode up side down, spinning around my legs ached from being so tight in that seat. I was affraid as we were riding that I was going to break the seat and go flying across the state fair. It was absolutely my moment now that I think about it. I didnt realize how much it was until I started writing this.

Oh, and the fact that I only had 1 pair of pants out of my MANY that would even fit me and even those were tight. **I can now fit into a few!!!**
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

My UGH moment was realising that it was painful to wear high heels because of my weight.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #5  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

hmm My Ugh moment came when I couldn't even look at a mirror of myself without hating what I was and what I looked like.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #6  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

My UGH moment came so long ago that I can't remember it - but I know that I'm horrified every time I see myself in a photo. In our bathroom at work we have a large floor to ceiling mirror that is unavoidable and I can just about live with it, if I try really hard not to look (especially not to acknowledge that in some shoes I walk like a fat woman!).

Whenever I see a photo of myself I'm just appalled....and I can almost understand my ex-best friend saying that I was too fat and would ruin her wedding pictures so I couldn't be in the wedding party...almost!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #7  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havisham View Post
My UGH moment came so long ago that I can't remember it - but I know that I'm horrified every time I see myself in a photo. In our bathroom at work we have a large floor to ceiling mirror that is unavoidable and I can just about live with it, if I try really hard not to look (especially not to acknowledge that in some shoes I walk like a fat woman!).

Whenever I see a photo of myself I'm just appalled....and I can almost understand my ex-best friend saying that I was too fat and would ruin her wedding pictures so I couldn't be in the wedding party...almost!
OMG Im glad she's your ex-best friend! That's horrible!

Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I've had lots of those moments and I've had lots of failed attempts at losing weight. Normally it was when I saw photos of myself (which were normally very quickly deleted). I always planned to lose weight though as a lot (though not all) was pregnancy weight but when I broke my ankle and had to be carried up a flight of stairs in a wheelchair at the weight of 273lb at my sister in law's wedding (so humiliating but fortunatly family didn't seem to think anything of it though they had been drinking) I knew that was enough of being so heavy and I had to do something about it and I had to be sucessful. I didn't restart losing weight until March this year as I didn't want to cut calories until my ankle had recovered.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #9  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeypnd View Post
OMG Im glad she's your ex-best friend! That's horrible!

Thanks, Mickey, yes, she's definitely an ex best friend. Like an idiot I still killed myself helping her with the wedding...I guess back in those days I felt that my weight made me less worthy of respect than I do now.

Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Got measured for my sisters wedding. I was MOH. I was told I had to order the largest dress they had. A Size 28, and perhaps have to ADD material to it. That day was the day I started my life change. By the time the wedding came, I had to have it taken in TWICE.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #11  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

I've been overweight for a long time and it could be argued that my entire life up until about two weeks ago was on very long "ugh" moment. Sure there would be days where I didn't feel so bad about my weight but it always came right back to the front of my mind. I think the biggest thing is DH and I want to have kids eventually and I've never been very regular and I know that my weight has something to do with that. I was thinking about it a few days ago and I realized that I really am making the best decision of my life. If I were to get pregnant at this weight and gain 30 lbs, I'd suddenly find myself at 260 lbs. Losing weight is hard enough without having to try and lose more. I can get this problem under control now and it would be better for me in the long run, and any little ones who happen into this world.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 232/158/150

Height: 5"5

I had several things happen over a few week period in early June of 2006 that started me on the road to a healthier life and weight. First, I was having chest pains, almost serious enough for me to go to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Second, I went to an amusement park and ALMOST didn't fit into the seat of an older roller coaster - I felt the fat on my hips slide up as I pushed my rear end down into the seat. I sat there thinking how mortified I would have been if I couldn't fit in the seat. And finally I overheard someone make a comment to my daughter in school when I was helping out about my being fat. It was like a triple whammy and the combination of all three things happening made me finally get serious about permanently trying to lose this weight. I spent a few days reading and trying to figure out how to go about it so that I had the best chance of losing and MAINTAINING this time. I knew I was serious because we were leaving for our summer vacation in two weeks and in the past I would have said I'll start after we get home from vacation. But I had decided that the only change I was going to make that summer was to try to eat a little less at every meal. Nothing big, no counting calories or anything, just trying to make a little better choices and eat a little less. So I figured it wouldn't be that hard to do that even when on vacation. By the end of the summer I had lost about 7 pounds just with that small change. Then in the fall I added exercise and started counting calories more and then the weight loss picked up.

The key for me has been that I have never made any changes that I can't live with permanently. I still eat fast food, I eat out just as much as before, I just try to make better choices most of the time. I've accepted a slower pace of weight loss (one pound a week at most) in exchange for still allowing myself to eat the things I like a few days each week. So for me, this is the way my life is now and will always be. There is no end to my "diet" even when I reach my goal weight. I feel like my body will naturally level out at the weight that I can maintain with how I am living my life in terms of eating and amount of exercise. And I'm happy with that.
TMG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

My UGH moment was at the end of Sept 07. I was at a friend's house for our usual 'girl's night' which of course included a lot of snacks. When I went to use the washroom I weighed myself. I had guessed I was about 210 or so..but when I got on the scale it read 230. I was in disbelief. I felt disgusting...we had just ate tons and tons of junk. I vowed that Oct 1 (which was a Monday)
I would start my weightloss journey. I am so glad that I did step on the scale that night.
I spent the entire Sunday planning out a few days with my old weight watcher material. I didn't actually join WW and I started just by walking daily. Almost a year later and a lot more confidence I joined a gym. I am the healthiest and smallest I've ever been in in my entire adult life.

Last edited by angelanicole23; 10-25-2009 at 04:25 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/220/160

I've been overweight all of my life and didn't really care, yeah, sure, I wanted to be able to shop wherever I wanted for clothes, but I loved food way more. When I was about twenty-four, about seven years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes and a seizure disorder which were unrelated. Sure, I was scared then, and vowed to be good, but they put me on medication and my blood sugar seemed okay, but I quickly went back to my old ways and stopped taking medication because I couldn't afford it and had no insurance.
Then, about four months ago I had a seizure where I somehow received to pretty bad cuts on my feet and they became infected even though I tried to take good care of them, I knew that this was largely due to my poor diet and diabetes. I went to the doctor who gave me some antibiotics which I had an allergic reaction to and I was like scared I was going to lose my big toe on my left foot where one of the worst cuts was, anyway, I made it through it, but vowed that I needed to make some changes.
There is also the fact that Shaun and I want to have a baby, pretty soon, like within the next year, but I need to be in a lot better shape for that.
lunameower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #15  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Mine was a combination. I just started finding old class mates on facebook and seeing how NONE of them had gained weight. Also - my dad had surgery about that same time and we were at the hospital waiting for him to go in and somehow it came up how much he weighs -- 237 and he is over 6' tall. ummm that was the same as me and I am 5' 3" -- made me realize just how heavy i was. I mean I knew but it was put into perspective yanno?
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote