Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 06:30 PM   #1  
Slowly going crazy!

Default I have a date

Well, our home equity loan went through, and part of that was going to be used for my lap-band surgery.

I now have a surgery date of Dec 18th. Dh and I have tickets to SanDiego. Wow, all in a matter of hours plans have fallen into place for this.

I'm nervous and scared, excited and elated! !

Just thought I would share.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:48 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Default amy honey!!!

i haven't seen you around for awhile. i remember you from the 100 pound club, and i had no idea you were considering WLS/

what , when, how did you decide to do this? and how's your family handling this?

please keep us posted... gee!!! it's really soon!!!!

and best of luck.

many hugs!!!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 01:00 AM   #3  

WOW. Congratulations!!!!

woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 03:45 AM   #4  
Slowly going crazy!

Well Jiffy, I moved on out from the 100 pound club, because I had been in and out of it for nearly 2 years and I lost and gained the same 30 pounds and I just don't want to 'fail' again. It's hard on the body, the emotions, etc.

I know I can't do this by myself. I didn't want to keep falling into the same trap. So, this was the next step.

Dh is thrilled for me, he still doesn't know what I weigh *LOL*.
He wants the best for me but didn't want me to go the 'RNY/Bypass' route because it was too permanent, and I don't have any co-morbidities.
I just need help with the appetite/eating thing and after researching the lap-band we decided this was it.

I'm nervous about it all, because I haven't had time to process it.
The rest of my family does not know about our plans, but we are thinking about telling my parents on Sunday about all of this.
Morbid Obesity runs in the family I want it to stop here.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:28 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

well, all i can say is GOOD FOR YOU!!!! and you're a relative lightweight

[yeah, i know you don't believe that, but you ARE!!! i had the rny when i weighed 409, and i had started the process when i weighed about 500!!!]

i was too heavy for the lapband, just because i had so much to lose. but just like you, the thought of more yo yoing was just too much. the permanent solution!!!!

the only question i have for you is that as far as i know ,the lap band is designed to be permanent, although it can be removed. once it is removed, your stomach returns to pretty much normal which means that you no longer have that signal to tell you to stop. and you run the risk of regaining the weight. maybe you shouldn't tell your husband that part??????

go for it!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 06:54 AM   #6  
she who must be obeyed

Good Luck to you Amy!!!

I understand the old "dh doesn't know what I weigh" thing, I was the same way. Not now, I will tell complete strangers what I weigh, if they ask.

Are you in contact with other lap-banders? If not check out Spotlighthealth, there is a section for lap-banders. If you have never been to Spotlight, warning it is a VERY busy website and breaks out it wars on a regulr basis. I just duck and run........I stay far away from the wars. If you can wade through all the doo-doo there is much good info to be had there.

Good Luck and keep us informed.
Debbie
Old 12-07-2002, 02:04 PM   #7  
Slowly going crazy!

Deb Kay:
I just registered for Spotlight Health. Actually it was a link there from one site I was on that I found out that Ann Wilson from Heart, had this procedure done. Her results are great...slow losing but still losing, KWIM?

Jiffy: One of the reasons I chose this was because if needed I could get it taken off.
I really want to use this as a tool to help me learn to get into a habit of eating smaller amounts, and training myself. I think any WLS needs to be used as a tool, not as a save all, because you still have to change your diet and lifestyle, no matter what procedure you use.
I will kick anyones arse if they tell me this is the easy way out.
The easy way out would be buying Tony Little's Gazelle Glider thing and watching it collect dust in the corner *LOL*
Dh and I actually just went over all the things that can go wrong with the Lap band. He was most impressed that no-one has ever died from this procedure. *knock wood*.

Thanks for all the support. I think frustration and the thought of failing again is what pushed me over the edge. I'm actually glad I am here now.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:16 AM   #8  
Domestic Goddess

Amy,

Just wanted to say that I'm happy for you. I can tell by your posts that your very excited. It's great that your hubby supports you. Blessings, ChrissyB
Old 12-08-2002, 12:44 PM   #9  

Hi Amy!

Congratulations on getting a date! If possible could you keep posting on how you are doing? Both on the emotional side and also after you have the surgery? I am inches away from making the phone call to get the ball rolling and the words that you have written in this post are pretty darn close to how I have been feeling. I think the only reason I haven't made the "call" is because of the holiday crunch and rush.

all the best to you!

peach
Old 12-08-2002, 10:11 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

sounds like you've done your homework, amy. i've been telling people that this is my eating plan... some folks are on WW, others do atkins, or low fat or whatever. no matter what we do, no matter what ANYONE does, we ALL have to follow some kind of formula for survival.

it's just that this is the way WE live. and it's not a big deal.

and please PLEASE keep us posted. peachie is my real life sister. i stopped at her house this evening, and yep!!! we talked about you. especially how she really related to you.

and who will be doing your aftercare and fills?? or will you be having regular mini vacations in mexico??? hmmm. not quite sure which i would choose... the travel would probably be a tax write off because it would be for medical care!!! hope there's a good beach as well!!!

hmmm now where did i get the idea you were doing this in mexico??? maybe because san diego is so close to mexico??? sorry. i KNOW there's a beach in SD!!!!

Last edited by jiffypop; 12-08-2002 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:08 AM   #11  
Slowly going crazy!

I told my mom today about the lap-band.

Immediately she said...Well, I'm losing my weight the hard way. I kid you not.
I said, "you've lost weight and once you quit dieting (or taking phen-phen, or smoking) you gained it all back."
She couldn't deny it.

I'm glad I told her, I know she is researching all this stuff now and going to dig up the 'bad side' of it all. But point blank, I told her the fat gene stops with me. I look at my brothers and sister who are all overweight. My dad, my mom, her mom, etc... I refuse to fall into the trap over and over again.

I'm nervous today. I've lost 3 pounds since I made the appt. *LOL* been doing a lot of 'bathroom duty'.

My husband is soo excited for me. He knows this is something that will help improve my self esteem. He said "I want you to have more up days than down". (meaning my moods about how I look and feel).

Anyways, that is my checkin for now.

Peachie...I will keep you in prayer. It's not an easy decision, as your sister has probably told you. But I know it can be a successful one.

Jiffy...I plan on 'vacationing' in Mexico when I need a fill. *LOL* Who wouldn't. BTW...my surgeon will be Dr. Kuri, in Tijuana.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

Default had to chuckle amy

at your mom's response... yeah, she's losing it the HARD way, and gaining it back the EASY way. just as we all have done repeatedly over and over and over again.

yo yoing is not healthy. and a body gives up at a certain point.

and by the way, you're brave to do this the week before christmas with the young children you have, but it'll be fine.

keep posting!! i LOVE reading about what's going on...
Old 12-09-2002, 11:16 AM   #13  

I'm sorry to say this; but what an awful thing to say!

My husbands first doctor appointment is on December 20th. I've seen what he has gone through to get to this point. I just hope and pray that the doctors can and will help him. (And the insurance company)

Good luck to you! "Easy way" my eye!
Old 12-09-2002, 12:13 PM   #14  
Slowly going crazy!

Quote:
and by the way, you're brave to do this the week before christmas with the young children you have, but it'll be fine.
I know I thought about this too, but I haven't heard of any severe complications from this type of procedure (band slippage a few months later has been the worse).

I'm just putting myself in God's hands, KWIM? What better gift for not only myself, but my young family as well, a New Healthy Momma!

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, my mom asked what I could eat at the Christmas gathering and I said "not much". and so she said she would make me a plate of veggies and dip *LOL*...I spilled it to her that I would be having all my meals liquid for the first month or so *LOL*.
It's hard to change old ways of thinking.

Luna3: I'm glad your dh is doing something for himself. I pray that your insurance can cover this surgery for him.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:10 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

luna... best of luck to your husband.. and please come back and let us know what's going on. this is a hard decision to make, but for many of us, there's no other way.

but you knew that.

and amy ... i just figured that after the surgery YOU deserved some pampering and downtime if you felt you needed it. christmas is a very stressful time of year. but you're right. you're giving everyone the best gift they could ever have.
Closed Thread