Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/205.2/199

Height: 5'1

Default Sodium/carbohydrate intake

I began following the daily plate with my nutrition on Monday. I count my calories and stay within range. I have noticed, although I am significantly under my fat and cholesterol percentages, I have been over my sodium every day this week and over my carbohydrates all but one day. Will this cause a problem with my weight loss? I know sodium will make me retain water, but if I am working out/sweating and drinking a lot of water, will it still cause a problem? Health wise, this has never been an issue. My blood pressure is quite low, my cholesterol levels are low.
Also with the carbohydrates... will a higher carb level cause weight gain if I am staying within my calorie range?

Thanks!!
NBaxter2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Well, I hate to say it, but yes and no.

Some people feel bloated until they get their sodium down, others don't. It doesn't interfere with actual fat loss per se.

Carbohydrates - lots of us lose with plenty of carbs, others can't lose until they cut carbs down. You have to experiment.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #3  

Cool

Actually, I've read that poeple who have successfully lost weight were on high carbohydrate diets. This is believed to be due to the fact that the carbohydrates that you eat while on a diet are also a source of fibre. For example, apples have a lot of carbohydrates but they also have fibre. It is not that you're getting you carbohydrates from a piece of cheesecake when you're on a diet.

As for the high sodium intake, just be carful because there has been significant research that connects high sodium comsuption and hypertension. You mention that you're blood pressure is fine but you keep this info in mind.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Personal blog: whataweightlossjourney.blogspot.com
HealthyGir2010 is offline   Reply With Quote