South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking The "On Plan" Thread for the Week of 10/19: Staying On Plan in ALL Phases!

Hi, Beachies!

We mods have been talking over some suggestions and comments put forth by members and have come up with what we think is a really good solution. In order to provide a place for everyone, regardless of phase, to share tips for staying on plan, we'll start an "On Plan Thread" each week. Here are the guidelines for this thread:
  1. Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so!
  2. This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.
  3. Because people from different parts of the plan are posting here, it'll help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!
  4. While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum.

That's it! I'm going to close the Phase 1 thread with a redirect to this thread. I look forward to seeing all the ways our wonderful community can support each other in staying on plan while we journey to better health!

Last edited by beachgal; 10-23-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Okay, I'll start us off: this morning I went to Dunkin' Donuts to get a latte. Our morning is so dark and gloomy, and I needed a "pick me up." With all the gloominess, I found myself wanting to eat every carb in sight! I thought about it and realized that while those carbs looked good, they wouldn't actually make me feel good once my blood sugar dropped. In fact, the world would look even worse from that vantage point, not to mention the guilt I'd feel (and the three days of P1 I'd have to face)...and I went back to my office with my SF latte and had a great breakfast of cottage cheese and the last of the raspberries. I feel calm and happy...much more so than if I'd given in.

How do you stay away from temptations? What temptations are you dealing with this week? Do you get hit with the it's-so-gloomy-I-need-more-seratonin blues too? Here's a card from www.someecards.com that seems to express that feeling:

Last edited by beachgal; 10-23-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #3  

I try that tip they use for impulse buyers- go away for 15 minutes and see if you still want it. Usually you don't!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great idea, BEachgal. Some of the may posts in Today's Daily really belong in here. I'm too rushed to move them so we'll leave them for today.

My challenge today will be to take something to eat during my time working the Bingo. (No I do NOT play the silly thing - just work it!) I think I'll dig out my protein powder and make a shake for lunch that I can sip during a break in the back "office" - a tiny room with two chairs.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Thanks BeachGal and Mods for such a great thread.

I'm in week 25 of SB. I've pretty much stayed OP and am feeling great, however, the time of year compounded by some unplanned stressors in my life have brought me to realize for me it's time for "recomittment".

I actually ate something off plan last night. I knew it and had an ice cream cone last night. I didn't go on a wild spree and just went to bed early.

I've started re-reading the original book, and am going to get the new book ordered today. I have a few questions and I'll post them here. I've had my op breakfast and am heading out to exercise. For me one of the best things about SB, is I have that ability-to get right back on track since I'm in such better health and not in a insidious craving cycle.

My question: what is the purpose of the daily dairy requirement? I'm not fond of it and I've found myself slacking. I do take 1000 mg of calcium everymorning. Am I cutting myself short of the benefits of SB by being lax on my dairy?

Have a great day!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Debbie, do you mean that you have trouble getting enough dairy in to your daily meal plans? If so, here's some compelling reasons to figure out ways to get it in:
  • Fat free dairy is a very low calorie and healthy form of lean protein.
  • Though the impact has been found to be less than thought, eating three servings of low or fat free dairy daily has been shown to help you lose weight, especially in your belly.
  • Getting your calcium directly from food will be more effective than a supplement.
  • Dairy is processed as a carb (a good one!), so it helps keep away any possible effects of getting less carbs in your diet. If you're eating only one serving of starch or fruit a day in P2, you may not get enough carbs to keep your body working well. You need the carbs in other OP items (like beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and dairy) to help you get enough.

Hope that helps. There are tons of ways to get your dairy in. You can make smoothies, put light or fat free sour cream on veggies or in soups (milk can be used in soups, too), and add low fat cheese to salads, chili, soups, and veggies. Let us know if you need more suggestions.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Thanks, Laurie. Before SB, I used to put FF yogurt in my morning smoothie. When I added a green powder with lots of probiotics, I stopped. I can see now that adding the yogurt would be a great way to add some "automatic" dairy(lean protein) since my morning routine is so set in stone.

This week I have been trying to add the FFY with a little pumpkin spice into my afternoon snack. I really like it, I think I am a bit "lazy" getting it in because I really am not hungry anymore, although I eat alot.

I had a light bulb moment at the pool this morning. It was "Debbie, there are tons of old threads about this. Research further on your own and don't always expect someone else to give you the answer." Thanks for your quick response.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm excited about our new On Plan thread! I think we'll all benefit from having a place where we can all share our daily trials with food, no matter what phase we are on.

I'm on Phase 1.5 to Phase 2. I try not to have more than 1 serving of a starchy carb a day, but will sometimes have an extra serving for either lunch or supper. I can eat as much fruit as I want, as I've happily discovered it has no effect on my cravings. Here's my menu for today -

B. Kashi Good Friends cereal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a scant scattering of slivered almonds
L. 1/2 Kashi Thin Crust Roasted Veggie Pizza, topped with salad greens (no dressing), 4oz. cup Light & Fit blackberry yogurt
S. Honeycrisp apple with a wedge of Laughing Cow
D. Roasted mixture of delicata squash, brussels sprouts, grape tomatoes, onions, spinach, craisins and pecans, drizzled with olive oil and lots of garlic.
S. SF dark chocolate pudding cup with a dollop of FF Cool Whip
AND, in celebration of Friday night, - a glass or two of red wine
Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Cottage - One vegetarian to another it looks like not a lot of protein on that menu. I know that you get more other days though so won't worry

I eat a lot like you do, even now. I think 1.5 is going to be my forever plan. It's usually 1 grain per day but plenty of beans, fruit and other good things.

Debbie - I also have trouble with dairy. I have never been a big dairy eater but get plenty of calcium from vegetable sources. I do try for a serving of either Greek yogurt of ff cottage cheese (both good protein sources too) every day but must admit I rarely get more than that.

Laurie - this thread is a great idea. Thanks!
I'm having that gloomy, cold weather carb thing too. I've been trying to get 2-3 servings of beans in every day along with my fruit and that seems to help. I know I won't really feel better if I eat cookies, but my brain keeps telling me I will.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #10  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, I may plan for vegetarian chili for the next week due to the carb-craving cold weather drippy nose allergy crap going on. Chris is making real chili for our movie night when we have people over tomorrow, so I told him I'll bring my own. (He offered to make meatless for me, I just hate being high maintenance.)

Three pounds down so far, although no official weigh-in til Monday. My khakis are a little looser. Goal is to fit back into first: my fat jeans; then: my regular jeans.

Rikki's "Cheese Cracker" thingies have saved me lately when I've been wanting something salty and crunchy. If I'm not mistaken, it looks to me that some of the fat gets..... cooked out of them when you microwave them, too. There's a lot of grease left on the parchment paper when they're done.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cyndi, you are absolutely right that I'm a bit low on the protein today. I was considering adding some chickpeas to my roasted veggie mixture, then decided to leave them out. I thought I was getting enough protein from the Kashi cereal and pizza, almond milk, yogurt and cheese.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #12  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

This will be a great thread.

On another forum there was an idea about adding your ingredients to yogurt and then freezing it, they said it tastes good and reminded many of ice cream. I will try in as soon as I make some. Will let you know how it tastes.
take care
Sophie
Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #13  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My "ice cream" cravings are taken care of by my little frozen fruit invention.
Whir up some frozen fruit in a blender, then add some greek yogurt and if you want, a little agave necter. It's yummy, has that ice cream consistancy and hits the spot.

Comfort food for this time of year....a big old pot of soup with lots of herbs and other green stuff!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I'm feeling good about recommitmiting to SB. I knew my ice cream night was a sign to really get back into my WOE.

Last night, we had a bit of chaos when the carpet cleaners showed at 630. The easiest choice was to eat dinner out, but I took a moment to think things through and recognize we'd eat OP by staying home. Dinner was delish! and I felt in control.

This morning I've already baked a low sugar Apple Cake from Kalyn's Kitchen. I do, have to recognize that eating the whole cake is not appropriate, and will very mindfully set my portion aside. I recognize I easily lose control with sweet carbs, even SB approved.
Newer beachers might not know about her; "Kalyn's Kitchen is a blog about healthy low-glycemic cooking, with a bit of gardening and a few product recommendations from Kalyn. Blog is at www.//http.kalynskitchen.com" You can become a fan on Facebook and recipes will post that are SB friendly.

I went to Costco yesterday and stocked up on SB friendly foods. Planning is really important to me and last night it was easy to stay OP because everything in my kitchen is now SB friendly.

I got the SB Supercharged book from the library and will start reading again pick up new hints and make sure I am, in fact, staying OP.

Have an OP weekend, everyone. I upped my dairy yesterday.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #15  
Be happy.

I really like this thread.
Thank you!

My goal for this week is to get moving more. I feel so much better when I get a walk in. I'm still new enough on phase 2 that staying on plan isn't too tough yet.

(Debbie, thanks for the link to Kayln's Kitchen.)
Closed Thread