Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/115/115

Height: 5.0

Default Chile Relleno and Zucchini Bake

This is my go-to meal when I want something spicy, "cheesy" and yet won't blow the calories for the day. It's sort of a combination of the Chile Rellenos Bake from Kalyn's website and a friend's Chile and Zucchini recipe. You can make it vegetarian by simply leaving out the chicken. Kalyn's recipe is here: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...enos-bake.html

Chile Relleno and Zucchini Bake
4 generous servinigs

10 poblano chiles, roasted, seeded and peeled; or one large can prepared whole green chiles. (I've seen the cans at Whole Foods)
Cooking oil spray
2 zucchini, cut lengthwise and then into thin crescents
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 large can chopped tomatoes, liquid discarded
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded lowfat cheddar or monterey jack cheese (reserve 1-2 Tbs. of this for top)
1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken (optional)
2 eggs, beaten, or 1/2 cup eggbeaters (I use eggbeaters)

1. Spray a large skillet with oil. Cook the onion and zucchini until they soften and begin to brown. Stir frequently so they don't burn. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and then the chopped tomatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 10 minutes or so.

2. Spray a 8x8 shallow casserole with oil. Arrange one layer of chiles in the bottom.Sprinkle in half the shredded chicken and half the shredded cheese. Spread on just enough of the zucchini-tomato sauce to lightly cover. Repeat with a layer of chiles, chicken, cheese, and sauce.

3. Pour the eggs over the top, and tap a few times so some sinks to the bottom of the dish. Don't worry, as it will sink during baking. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.

4. Bake uncovered in a 375 oven for 30-40 minutes, until puffed and set. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

5. Serve with salsa and lowfat sour cream or plain yogurt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repeat 012.jpg (41.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Teachyrchildren; 10-22-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Teachyrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

This sounds wonderful - I loved you Zucchini Lasagna - can't wait to try this one!

Thanks for sharing.

Carol
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #3  
No description available.

Thanks for this!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I wanted to ask you about those chilis. Can you use the ones from the can without any problem? How difficult is it to use the fresh? If I do the cans, how many cans do I need.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chile rellenos!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

I also have a poblano question - I've only seen them pickled when canned. Does somebody sell them just packed in water? I always buy fresh poblanos, but they take so long to prep, roast and peel.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That sounds delicious , I plan to try it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/115/115

Height: 5.0

Jennifer--I think the Hatch brand isn't pickled. I've also bought frozen ones online that I share with another chile-loving friend. This company sells several varieties of frozen and canned chile. http://www.newmexicanconnection.com/catalog/index.html

To do the fresh ones, I grill on the BBQ until the skins blacken, and then put them while hot into a bowl that I tightly seal with plastic wrap to let the skins steam. They slip off really easily then.

Last edited by Teachyrchildren; 10-27-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Teachyrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote