Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #1  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Portable Salad Dressing Packets?

Okay.. I have looked high and low in stores around here for some kind of low calorie salad dressing packets I can keep in my purse. I don't understand why the restaurants around here offer great salads, but NO option for low calorie dressing on it? It's crazy.

My fave kind of dressing is low calorie french. I have found packages with small cups of ranch dressing (but no low calorie!). I don't really like ranch dressing anyway on a salad. The only low cal option in restaurants around here (when you can find it) is some kind of vinegar dressing, which I don't like.

These have got to be out there somewhere? Anyone ever found these? I'm talking those foil packets - similar to a ketchup packet only bigger. I can't see myself carrying around a bottle of salad dressing in my purse. Especially since you have to refrigerate after opening. I just want to put some in a ziploc or something in a pocket in my purse for those times when I have no dressing options.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks muchly
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I keep a bottle of SALAD SPRITZERS in my purse. ETA, put it in a ziploc baggy. I have NEVER had a problem but just in case ya know!

Also, if you have any grocery stores around u with Salad bars, those packets are usually there. Also, my Subway has individual salad packets. I bought them for .25 each there once. McDonalds has them too--as does Chick-Fil-A. Just ask the manager if you could buy a few.

Last case scenario, if you get to a rest. and still don't have anything with you--tell the server to bring you the salad DRY and ask for a side of balsamic vinegar. Most rest. have it!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-17-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I found some teeny little plastic cups with fitted lids at the Dollar Tree a few weeks ago. They're only about 2" across, and an 1" deep. They had both round and rectangular versions, each holding at most 2 ounces (4 tablespoons). They came 6 in a package, so now I have a dozen - and these things are awesome. I'm going to buy a few more packages for my craft room and maybe one more for the kitchen.

They are perfect for portioning out and or/transporting nuts, salad dressings, cheese, dip...

They're also great for making a single serving of a homemade dressing (just splash in ingredients and close lid to shake).

Just as a precaution I do put the container(s) in a ziploc sandwhich bag - just in case there would be a leakage issue.

While most dressings need to be refrigerate after opening, they are fairly spoil-resistant. They will grow bacteria in a pantry - but within days/weeks, not hours - most bottled dressings have enough salt, sugar, and acid (vinegar or lemon juice) that a little container in your purse is perfectly safe in your purse for the day (6 to 8 hours), unless perhaps you leave your purse in a very warm place.

To be safe, if I don't use the dressing within about 4 to 5 hours I rinse it down the sink - another reason why the little tubs are handier than a bottle of dressing in your purse. If you don't get a chance to use it, you only waste a couple tablespoons not an entire bottle. Also, the little tubs are alot more discreet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

Like this? (Scroll down for the light versions of salad dressings; they've got the mayo's at the top). I found the link to this at the HungryGirl site.

http://www.minimus.biz/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=13
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Kraft has a light Italian salad dressing package, I usually take them with me while traveling.

For sale on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Light-It...7&sr=8-2-fkmr1
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #6  

I've found several low cal salad dressing packets online ... but I was in GFS ( not sure if you have any by you ) and asked the manager if they carried any low cal since they carry the big boxes of regular packets ... and they didnt carry any in the store but offered to put in an order for a box for me with their next order. That is how I purchase mine now is through the local GFS store, I just have to let them know ahead of time so they can put in for my box with their order. So if you are unable to find any around you or dont want to go through an online store, I'd ask any store around you that you see that carries the packets in bulk and see if you can place an order with them for the low cal one. More times than not they will go ahead and do it because they know you'll be a return customer since they were accommodating you.

Last edited by Smilette31; 10-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I found some teeny little plastic cups with fitted lids at the Dollar Tree a few weeks ago. They're only about 2" across, and an 1" deep. They had both round and rectangular versions, each holding at most 2 ounces (4 tablespoons). They came 6 in a package, so now I have a dozen - and these things are awesome. I'm going to buy a few more packages for my craft room and maybe one more for the kitchen.

<snip>

Just as a precaution I do put the container(s) in a ziploc sandwhich bag - just in case there would be a leakage issue.
At a camping store I picked up a bunch of little Nalgene bottles + 2 jars. I use those for salsa, salad dressing and other condiments because the cafeteria I go to doesn't have salsa and only has the standard salad dressings (ranch, MAYBE ff ranch, red dressing, creamy blue cheese, 1000-island, caesar, + oils and vinegars) and sandwich spreads (plain mayo and ballpark, Dijon and grainy brown mustard) and I might wanna try something like blue-cheese vinaigrette or fruity vinaigrettes, or other types of sauce or spread. Also the Nalgenes have screw-on lids which are better for not leaking than lids that snap on and you don't have to put them in a plastic bag

Last edited by ANOther; 10-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #8  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Like this? (Scroll down for the light versions of salad dressings; they've got the mayo's at the top). I found the link to this at the HungryGirl site.

http://www.minimus.biz/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=13
YES.. this is exactly what I am wanting... and it looks like they have French, just like I wanted! THANK YOU! I have to say, though, that I am always leery about ordering from a site that isn't a well known one, you know? I will bookmark this one and possibly return to purchase. I don't understand why they don't carry these individual packets in grocery stores... surely there are a lot of people who would use these?!

I also found something interesting while searching:

http://waldenfarms.com/products/single_packets.html

Has anyone tried this brand?!?! They claim no calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind?? I am curious what the ingredients are and how they taste. They have one called Creamy Bacon that sounds good.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #9  
WW Moderator

I hate every single thing that Walden Farms has ever made.
Somebody must like them though, because they're still cranking out the stuff. It all tastes like melted plastic too me. I've even scraped my tongue after trying one of their products!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
no calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind??
No fat, no sugars, sounds to me like = no flavor. I'll take my chances with small amounts of fat and sugar
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #11  
Eyes on the Prize

Jennifer. After reading their description I kept thinking.. how can it have nothing and how did they process everything out.. it makes no sense. But now it does - it's simply liquid plastic.

ANOther: That's what I thought, too - how can it have any taste with all that removed. I was secretly hoping it tasted fantastic, though.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I either eat salads dressing-less or I also for a chunky salsa. Most restaurants have chunky salsa.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #13  
Workin' It

I use a lot of salsa, too. I've also used the Kraft Light Italian packets. I also saw them in Light Balsamic Vinaigrette, Light Ranch and something else. My local Target stopped carrying them, and that was the only place I could find them. Now I'm going to use Glory's amazon.com link!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I've ordered salad dressing packets and non fat mayo packets from minimus and they're great--tastes fien and got here super fast!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #15  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

My husband takes his dressing to work everyday in an empty glass spice bottle that we saved. It has a screw top lid and works great.

My friend at work has started putting hot sauce on her salad. It's no fat and very few calories and requires no refrigeration.
I can't eat hot stuff myself, though.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote