Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Default Nausea after workouts?

Lately I've been doing a really good job of working out consistently, but it seems every time I always feel really sick to my stomach afterwords.. like I'm going to throw up. Does this happen to anyone else?

Some days my heart hurts for a bit after too.. :/. I've made sure to eat within the 2 hrs before I workout, but I still get the sick feeling. Maybe I should eat right before I workout? Or would that make my workout less effective?

Maybe my body just still isn't used to it.. I don't know. Any thoughts?

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 10-22-2009 at 06:43 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to guess your body isn't used to it. I would actually throw up after workouts for the first two weeks. You could tone it down a little bit to avoid the nauseous feeling.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Better to eat a light snack with protein half an hour before a workout, or at least that's what I've been told. The nauseated feeling could be dizziness from low blood sugar. You might try carrying a snack with you to the gym, like a miniature box of raisins or a small bunch of grapes or half an apple, to see if eating after the workout helps that feeling go away.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #4  

Thanks! After doing some research, I think I probably need to drink more water before/during my workout and eat closer to my workout, just not right before.

This was kinda crazy: I found a site that said that feeling nauseous after exercising is a GOOD thing, because it means you got a "killer workout". Of course the site also advertised lots of powders and had pictures of men and women with unreasonably large muscles plastered all over it... hmm...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I know a few trainers who say that nausea when starting an exercise regime is proof-positive that you're reaping benefits. I guess they *could* be right, but I'm not into puking...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
I know a few trainers who say that nausea when starting an exercise regime is proof-positive that you're reaping benefits. I guess they *could* be right, but I'm not into puking...
Haha! Meeeeee either!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Do you also get dizzy? It could be a sign of an insulin 'issue'. I used to get nauseous and dizzy. I ended up having to eat a small snack closer to my workout time and it went away.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm also a little concerned about your saying that your heart hurts. Have you been checked out by a doctor before starting your exercise program? Might be a good idea...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #9  

I used to feel sick after workouts too. I figured out it was low blood sugar. I eat a banana RIGHT before I work out, and a glass of chocolate milk after I workout. Now I do not get that "workout low". good luck !
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

oh i know how u feel, a really really hard workout will make me feel so nauseas. WATER is the key!
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/162.4/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhrisuh View Post
Thanks! After doing some research, I think I probably need to drink more water before/during my workout and eat closer to my workout, just not right before.

This was kinda crazy: I found a site that said that feeling nauseous after exercising is a GOOD thing, because it means you got a "killer workout". Of course the site also advertised lots of powders and had pictures of men and women with unreasonably large muscles plastered all over it... hmm...
OMG I was gonna say the same thing. It is true -- if you feel nausea after work out then that means you ACTUALLY DID push yourself to your limit. Often we work out but don't go all the way.

And yes dehydration causes nausea. So drink plenty of water. I drink a lot of water before during and after work outs but sometimes -- very rarely --- there are times when i probably just ran too fast for too long and after that i feel like throwing up.

DOnt stress. EIther case you know you are doing your workout right!! good job
sweettooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

i used to feel ill after workouts when i didnt eat before or after... Think of your body like a car.. you run it and you run it... it gets empty, so you fill it up.. im not saying gorge out on food, but i PERSONALLY eat an hour before i work out, and by time im finished (or a little beyond that) its time to eat again.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #13  

Me too I can relate. Though what do you do, do you stop working out if you feel nauseated in the middle of your routine? I never know if I should stop or just keep going... :S Happens to me about 90% of the time I exercise, nausea and light-headedness
evince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #14  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

sorry to write so late but this article helped me. last night i worked out on the treadmill for 50 mins then did weight training for 10 mins. something i never mixed before. then after i got home and drank water, i felt soooo sick to my stomach i thought i was going to throw up. i did some research and its called exercise induced nausea. it can be caused by a few things. too much water, not enough food (which i started working out AFTER my husband gets home from work which is like 10 or 11 and i dont eat past 7 usually.) today im really sore and not nauseated but i read it happens ALOT in weight rooms (can be caused by fatigue as well)

Last edited by kimicat76; 07-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhrisuh View Post

My brother is in the Marine Corps, so of course, he is super fit. (He came home, and we almost didn't recognize him because he's so thin! My mom and I were like, "Okay, all we need to reach our goal weights is the Marine Corps boot camp!")

Anyway, I talked to him about workouts before I got started again, and he said, "If I don't puke after a workout, I know I didn't push myself hard enough." I looked at him like he was a martian, lol.

So, I think it is probably a sign that you're pushing yourself really hard. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and I've been there before too, even with the chest pains. (Which I have chalked up to my heart not being in tip top shape, but I also track my heart rate while exercising to make sure I'm not going too far.) Good luck and way to go on the workouts!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote