Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #1  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Default Any former scale addicts been able to make the switch to weighing in once/week?

It is making me crazy to weigh in every day and I'm obsessing over every .5 up and down. I want to go back to weighing in once a week like when I did Weight Watchers, but I know it will be so hard! Also, I know that I will expect to see at least a 1 lb loss per week, so it will be very hard if I don't see any loss after a week of busting my butt counting calories and working out.

Has anyone been able to do it, and are you glad you did?

Also thinking of getting a scale that goes to .1 increments - mine only goes to .5. It's been SO tough this time around that maybe being able to celebrate .1 lbs might help!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

My scale goes in .1 increments and I weigh in daily. I used to be OBSESSED with the scale, stepping on it every time I passed the bathroom! Now I weigh in 1x daily to be sure I am on track.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I have. Every time I tried to lose weight in the past, I would become obsessed with the scale and my emotions would be completely ruled by if I was up or down on any given day. While there are certainly people who weigh every day and have no issue with it, I think it was unhealthy emotionally for me. This time, when I started my weight loss plan, I promised myself that I would only weigh once a week. Believe me, it is very tempting sometimes to get on the scale and just check how I am doing. But, I have resisted and it has worked so much better for me.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I was attempting to go 7 days without getting on the scale this week, but the temptation was too much this morning and I hopped on.

I love the daily feedback, but I hate the letdown when things go counter to expectation.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I know the feeling, Natamars. I used to weigh myself 2 or 3 times a day.
For me, the solution for all that scale "crazy" was to finally take it to the dump &...presto....problemo gone.....
Now, as long as I am counting calories, eating healthy, & keeping active, I know I'll be ok, so I don't need to see the numbers so much. Every 4 weeks I weigh-in at a friend's place just to make sure though, and so far(knock on wood) that's been fun.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #6  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

I didn't weigh myself for years and just went on how my clothes fit, and what I weighed when i was at the doctors.
Now, though, I follow the CAD suggestion, which is that you weigh daily but then only measure your weight loss by your weekly average. It takes that daily pressure off, because you can be up one day and still be down on your weekly average.
If you're not ready to toss your scales, yet, that might help. Once a day, same time, same place, all that jazz, and then track the average.
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I weigh daily with a scale that goes in .2 increments. I was obsessing for a while but I've finally calmed down and just use it as a guide. If it started creeping up, I need to be a little more strict on my plan, if it's going down, awesome. Saturday is my official weigh-in day, so that's the one that counts. If I'm up on the official weigh-in then I get pretty down about it. But I am kinda addicted to weighing almost any time I'm in the bathroom.

Anyhow, maybe you could put your scale away on the top shelf in your linen closet or something. If it is not convenient, perhaps you'll be less compelled to weigh-in daily.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

I am a multiple scale hopper.... I manage my emotions with a lot of positive self-talk...

I think weekly weighing would be hard for me.

I think I'd be more likely to drift off track thinking that I had more wiggle room than I did.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155.4/133.4/105

Height: 5'0"

I weigh myself 1x daily. It motivates me to work harder and watch what I eat. I know that my weight can go up or down by doing this daily but I don't let it get me down. What really matters is how much you've lost by the end of the week.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #10  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

I'm a scale hopper, as well. Any time I've seriously attempted to lose weight, or even half-attempted, I become that way, though. This time around is actually different emotionally. I used to obsess over every .1 up or down. (My scale does run in .1 increments.) For whatever reason, I don't get so worked up anymore. It's actually amusing for me to see how much I weigh at different times throughout the day. In will say that even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to commit to a once a week weigh-in. Without stepping on the scale daily, there's just too much room for me to lose the accountability that's vital for me to succeed.

Last edited by garnetrising; 10-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
Anyhow, maybe you could put your scale away on the top shelf in your linen closet or something. If it is not convenient, perhaps you'll be less compelled to weigh-in daily.
I second that! I only weigh in officially once a week, but I usually end up weighing a total of 3 or 4 times a week.. I think putting the scale away might help keep your mind off it. For me, I need to see the scale as a reminder of my goals

When I see my weight fluctuate, I remind myself that water retention and food leftover in my tummy will cause a slight gain. Of course, when I see it down even .1, I give myself a big pat on the back .
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Every weight loss program I have ever been on until now I have failed at. Every time I started losing weight I became emotionally attached to the damn scale. It dictated my mood, my eating and just about every other emotion for the entire day. This time I decided I wanted to succeed, and so everything I ever did prior to this time I ditched for a different approach. During my weight loss I weighed once a week on Friday. For the 16 months I was actively losing before hitting my orginal goal, I had a loss every single week except 2 times. Weigh day was exciting. It was a day of celebration. I'd recommend weekly weigh days to anyone with even an inkling of scale obsession. It has been so wonderful to just live without that constant, omg, omg what's it going to say today? If you follow your plan FAITHFULLY you will lose weight. The scale is only for bragging rights.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #13  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I was an obsessive weigher. I had to change it or else I was going to go crazy. I now only weigh once a week and am VERY happy with it. I do however have to put the scale under the bathroom sink so it's just not out there in the open, tempting me to hop on.
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I've never been a slave to the scale. I was actually the opposite, never wanting to know how high the number was getting. I just ignored it which is why my weight creeped up so high.

During this weight loss journey, I only weigh myself once a week, on Tuesdays. It's worked great for me. I read somewhere that once every 2 weeks is even better because you'll see amazing results that way. I do it weekly, though.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

Some words of advice..what I done. I refuse to have a scale in my house..I knew if I did I would be on them everytime I ate something basically I know sad but true. My scales are at my mothers.. I go there and weigh myself.. *LOL* she lives a little bit out, so I dont plan to drive there everyday heheh So once a week I will go there and weigh in. Somd good advice..Sound like a plan?
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote