Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Question Acorn Squash

Does anyone have a good way to slice one or is there a way to cook it whole?
I have 2 in the fridge and I'm afraid of losing a thumb!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been told you can cook it whole in the microwave, using a sharp knife to poke a few holes for steam to escape. I haven't done that with acorn squashes, but I did do it with a spaghetti squash.

My husband cuts it vertically (so both halves have a "stem" end), parallel to the ribs. I find it very difficult to cut that way, but find it very easy to cut the other way - across the ribs (so one half is the top end, and the other is the bottom end).

If you use a serrated knife that has some weight to it, it's much easier to cut, and is (or certainly feels) more secure, because those teeth of the blade are grabbing the skin while cutting, so your thumb is relatively safe. The knife I use is about 2" wide at the base, and the blade is about 10 inches long and serrated.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Kaplods is right about that slicing thing. but there's also no reason at all that you can't put it on a baking sheet and put it in the oven for awhile. if you want to end up with nice slices or halves, pull it out when it's about halfway done, let it cool, and then slice it with your knife.

but if you want it kind of smashed, let it cook completely, cool enough to handle, then open it up, scoop out the seeds, and then scoop out the pulp. and then - oh ambitious cook that you are - roast the seeds just the same way you'd do pumkin seeds.

let us know what you do with it - you're SOOO creative!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

If I can Get James to cut it for me I wanted to stuff it with Loafless Meatloaf mixed with Quinoa
If i do it whole I figured I'd mash it with some SF syrup I need to build up the arm muscles again so I can have Squash Carnage (and not Kierie Carnage!)
Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Acorn and butternut squash are so good roasted. Just poke a few holes in the squash with a meat fork and pop them on a tray and right into the oven. They take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to bake. I think at 350 degrees. I love them roasted better than anyway I make them.

I can eat them in a box; I can eat them with a fox. I can eat them with a goat, I can eat them on a boat. I can eat them anywhere, I can eat them here or there! I've read Green Eggs and Ham once to often. LOL!

I'm having roasted butternut squash and fried geen tomatoes tonight. Just cleaned of the rest of the garden.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

aw shucks, Nan. fried green tomatoes. my mom used to make them just before [and a little after!] the frost.

i once invented a butternut squash dish- is was really good. let me think - peeled and cut the blasted things into chunks. tossed with some olive oil and salt and pepper. roasted for awhile. i can't remember if i sprinkled the cinnamon on when it was half done, or at the beginning.

and when it was ALMOST done, i mixed in a little honey, and then some roasted chestnuts - and put it in the oven so everything would get nice and warm.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

SQUASH !!!

I usually just cut it in half and bake it....
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

DH ended up going to a work thing last night so No Squash for me! I did however get yummy apples from the Farmers market
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I nuked it for 10 min whole with three slices in it then mashed it with Butter and S&P simple and so damn good!