Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

Default December Challenge

Hi All,

I've missed everyone and sorry that I have been out of touch! Things around here went insane for a while...and weight loss was something I simply had to chunk out the window for a while.

I'm not sure how much of this I've shared before so bear with me. My sister had an extremely premature baby this last May. He was born at 5 1/2 months...and weighed just barely over 2 lbs. He was actually 2 lbs and 1 1/2 ozs. When he was born. At any rate...Oct 30th...he'd been home for 2 months. He'd lived in NICU for 3 months before that...so that was his 5th month birthday. Anyway...he stopped breathing. The doctors believe his trachea had collapsed...and my sister did CPR while my Momma called 9-1-1. Long story short...even with the CPR, the Ambulances quick response time etc...it wasn't enough. He suffered extreme brain damage due to oxygen depletion and the fact that it took 40 minutes to get his heart beating on it's own too...wasn't a good sign. Well...November the 9th our little miracle man passed on and returned to Heaven. He struggled a long hard fight, but he obviously had served his purpose and it was time for him to go home again.

Needless to say...weight loss wasn't at the top of my priority list. Nothing was but family! Anyway...

We've had a few weeks and I'm ready to get back into the weightloss thing. No, I'm not insane! And Yes I do know it is the holiday season...but I still would like to lose a few pounds during this holiday season.

So here goes...my goals for December.

1) Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day
2) Do a daily devotion
3) Get 30 minutes of exercise a day
4) FINALLY join the gym and work out there 3x a week
5) Eat on plan at least 5 day a week

So who's next....

Betty
Old 12-02-2002, 12:36 PM   #2  
hottie in training

betty,
sorry to hear about your loss. losing a loved one is always hard but when it is a child it seems to be even harder. I will say a prayer for you.

as far as my goals go, they are basically the same as your monique, i've basically just copied & pasted yours!-
1) Always drink 8-10 glasses of water.
2) Weight training 3 times a week, doing the 1 hour class as often as possible, even if i am late & miss the first 15 minutes.
3) Aerobic exercise 30 minutes minimum 5-6 times a week
4) 1600 calories per day, up to 2000 for special occasions. Will be difficult around Christmas but I will try to eat conservatively.
5) journal all foods eaten everyday
Old 12-02-2002, 08:40 PM   #3  

Angry goals

Hey everyone

Good luck with the goals everyone!!

my goals are close the same for last month...

1)drink my water 8-10 cups
2) lose another 10lbs.
3) keeping going to the gym 6 days a week
4) put in a 100% effort each time
5) work fish into my diet
6) try some cottage cheese recipes
7) try not to pig out over Christmas
8) continue to eat 1200-1500 calories a day..except my day off

one_sweetchick
Old 12-03-2002, 09:13 AM   #4  

Betty - I am sorry for the loss your family has suffered. I'm glad you are back. Did you have a good Thanksgiving?

My November Goals worked so well for me, I am going to pretty much repeat them for December. My ultimate scale desire is to not gain anything. I have about 10 lbs. left before I get to goal, and I think it would be awesome if that were all I had left to tackle in the New Year!

BTW - I followed these goals the last week of November (specifically, I finished the 8 minute in the morning month-long plan the week before, and I started over again last week, doubling up the routines). But I will be skipping this week due to my illness. I can't even stomach too much water - it seems to send me straight to the toilet!

December goals:

Follow the 16 minutes in the morning (i.e. two 8 minute routines in the morning - I want to concentrate on building more muscle) 6x a week.

Walk 30-60 minutes a day, 5x a week.

Take my vitamin every day. Does anyone use a vitamin they really like? I'm scared to take the ones I have now for fear of stomach cramps.

Drink 8+ glasses (16oz.) water during the day, and at least 2 glasses at night. It was amazing how the water at night made a difference in my munchies! If I can only remember to drink water first, before I start rummaging through the cabinets!

Follow my eating plan with only two meals off a week. I'm hope that by upping the number of "meals off" to two, I am making a realistic goal. Only one meal off was hard enough to follow in November, without all the holiday cheer in full force!

BTW - anyone else planning to bake cookies? My friends think I'm crazy, but I can't help myself. It's just not Christmas without baking cookies. I plan to have 3 kinds - thumbprints (sugar cookies with jam in the middle), ginger snaps, and chocolate cut-out cookies. I LOVE baking cookies!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

Hey FM, Jenn and Monique!! Thank you all for your kind thoughts condolences etc....they mean a lot!

FM--you mentioned that you hadn't been feeling well..what's been wrong... I am definitely planning on baking cookies!! I agree it's not Christmas without cookie baking! Now I just have to find people to give those cookies to.

Monique---That's a good way to look at Things. December is new month and a new start!! You can do it! You've come SO FAR!! And good job on looking ahead to the 17th to decide what you are going to order before you go out!! It sounds like you have things back under control. I think that is wise to not worry to much about losing this month...you've come SO far...and maintaining is an important part of all of this!! As we ALL know...

Jenn--Thank you for the prayers! It sounds like your goals are great too!! I look forward to more talks this month. And I am glad to hear things are going pretty well.

Hi-One sweetchic, nice to meet you. Looks like you have some good goals set.

Good luck to everyone!! And it's SO good to be back!!

Thus far I haven't made it to the gym yet....but that's the plan for tonight so hopefully I can manage it!! I think I can I think I can!!

Talk to you all soon,
Betty
Old 12-04-2002, 03:03 PM   #6  

Hi i an asuming that anyone can join this challenge.
I am 27 going to be 28 this month. I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids 3 years and 18 months.
I have lose close to 35 pound since last Jan. and would like to lose an other 20 pounds wich would make me at 145. That is my goal by May.
the things that I do are
1 eat more vegies
2 drink lots of water
3 workout 3 days a week with the firm tapes
4 3-4 days week do5 miles on the treadmill
5 keep track of my food.
6 start to like myself.
Tanya
Old 12-04-2002, 10:08 PM   #7  
ebe
noob

i want to join challenge
my goals for december:

work out at the gym at least 5 days a week doing strength training at least 3 times
eat around 1500 calories a day....aiming for 1400 but wont kill myself if its a little over...
i'd like to start doing pilates tapes and maybe yoga on my "off" days...so that is definately a goal.

i'm reallllllllllllly reluctant to weigh myself and i'm not quite ready to see how my "measurement jeans" are....i don't know whats with the quotation marks
so i ordered a new pair of jeans 1 size smaller than the ones i have now....purely in the interest of science and just to get an accurate a reading as possible......

nice to meet you all
Old 12-05-2002, 10:35 AM   #8  

Let's get this monthly challenge STARTED!

OK, perhaps I'm not quite feeling 100% yet, but a definite improvement. I indulged in a HUGE dinner last night (after hardly any food since Saturday) and suffered no ill consequences - stomach or scale related!

I used to love sugar cookies as a kid, but somehow my recipe never turns out like Mom's (irony there is that my mother is actually a horrible cook!). That's why I chose chocolate cookie dough for my cookie-cutting fun! It is a recipe I found from Godiva, so I hope it is good.

As far as who to give the cookies to, I have quite a long list this Christmas. I just hope my cookie-baking skills are up to it! The list includes co-workers, co-volunteers, my massage therapist, the grocery assistant who has been very helpful with special request items I've asked for, and our two vet offices.

That brings up some sad off-topic news - the vet called me during the snake's surgery to say that it looked like there was nothing we could do, and I told him to just let her pass. The specifics are pretty graphic, but she definitely had not been cared for properly before we got her.

With the volunteer work, we deal with death on a fairly regular basis. But it still really hit me that I was helpless to undo someone else's actions.

But life goes on, and I am considering surprising DH with another guinea pig in his Christmas stocking. (He has been begging ever since we got the first) We will be pig-sitting the week before Christmas, so I will get to see how he gets along with another male. Otherwise, I will have to find a rescue facility that spays their females. No babies for ANYONE in our house!

Betty - I came down with a high fever Sunday afternoon, and it progressed to a stomach bug. Although I was pretty miserable the last few days, at least I can be thankful that it waited until Sunday and I got to enjoy my holiday.

What kind of cookies are you baking? I wished we all lived near each other; we could have a cookie party and keep each other from "testing" all the batches!

Monique - I am with you on the whole weight issue through December. Last year I had already started to gain during Halloween, and so I made a huge effort to lose before Christmas. That backfired to the tune of about 10 lbs.! This year I think what will make the difference is a reasonable exercise plan that I can do anytime, anywhere.

BTW - I ended up using a different beet sauce due to a change in my grandfather's diet - low potassium (oranges are high in potassium), but the beets were a hit! I steamed them for about 45 minutes. Then, the sauce I used was more of a salad dressing and called for blue cheese crumbles on top, yum! No one in my family had cooked beets from scratch before, how weird is that?

I am going to buy some Centrium or femiron over the weekend. It is ridiculous to be scared of your multi-vitamin.

2cutekids - Welcome! Congrats on losing 35 pounds so far! It sounds like you have some great goals, eating more vegetables has made a huge difference in my life.

ebe - Glad to see you here as well! I have a few pairs of "measurement jeans" myself. I was so psyched when the first pair slipped on - I had almost forgotten I owned them! The pair I'm working on now…well, they button but it's not pretty, if you know what I mean.

Well guys, I am off to drink more water. I feel like I have a whole ocean to make up for since Sunday. I might even try a bit of a walk, although it will involve Christmas shopping. Take Care!
Old 12-05-2002, 03:24 PM   #9  

Hi everyone things are going not to bad here. I was making christmas baking. I maked peanut brittle, caramel popcorn, and choclate truffles. The kids are loveing the popcorn. I have ate some of each I am hoping to keep it to a small amount the I eat. I have everything ready for friends for Christmas to give them to.
My eatting is going OK ecept for trying the food to see if it tastes OK. I go my water in and I did 5.25 miles on the treadill this morning. I ate a good breakfast and lunch just need to keep it up for the rest of the day
Tanya
Old 12-05-2002, 07:03 PM   #10  
ebe
noob

hey ladies

thanks for the welcome frisco and monique.
all this cookie talk is making me wish i lived with anyone who would eat cookies....i love to bake but i have no one to appreciate it.
my boyfriend isnt really a sweets fan so he would be indifferent at the most lol

i'm starving at the moment, thinking of grabbing some carrots and hot salsa. freakiest thing i actually crave this snack for some reason. just so good!

i positively despise snow. i had the worst drive home from work today. huge storm i actually got let out of my hellish job 1.7 hours early and it still took 2 hours to get home.
in the best of conditions its like a 20-30 minute drive.
soooooo going to the gym is out of the question i think. i was so drained from driving home i took a detour to the wine store and got a nice bottle of chardonay to curl up in bed with and some lettuce for a yummy salad.
luckily i've eaten lightly all day so a little wine shouldn't hurt...

i got my jeans today, i thought they were the same style as my old jeans 1 size bigger but they must not be because these actually fit me better lol....my fat hips don't pour over the waistband like the other ones...these must sit higher or something i have no clue.
but still, a lower size is a lower size. i'll take it. just means more shopping
i think my long term goal is to hit a size 4. if i can get into a 4 in about any store by like april i'll be thrilled. that would be really nice *dreams*

anyhoo enough about me

2cutekids sounds like you're doing great it would be hard for me to resist homemade candy and treats *drooooool*

monique - are you stressed about something that would be keeping you up?
that is one of the WORST feelings....well sure there are worse but a good nights sleep is important. my only advice is a warm bath before bed and a glass of wine....
but don't listen to me, my parents prescribe alcohol as the solution to every problem, and looking at them it doesn't work too well lol...but everything in moderation right. wine and a warm bath knock me right out.

friscosmom - sad story about your snake..sorry to hear about that. its really sad when a pet dies.
i love guinea pigs! they are like the cutest things on the planet.
their little squeaks and the way they bounce around.....gah! sooooooooo cute!
i used to have one but his upkeep was just too much for me at the time....they need a lot of care and attention.
one day when i have a house i'd like to get a little guinea pig farm...it would have to be something where they had plenty of room to hop around...and preferrably require less cleaning than an icky cage.
what kind of set up do you have for yours?

sorry for so long a post, you'd think i was locked up all day with no one to talk to.....oh wait i was at work.....
Old 12-06-2002, 04:58 PM   #11  
hottie in training

hi everyone,
i subscribe to this forum but for some reason i wasn't getting the updates like i usually do. so i was surprised to see all the posts! but nice to see just the same.

we got some snow here too, about 6 inches. i didn't leave for work yesterday until about 10am. no one was in the office so i wasn't really worried about coming in late. by the time i left the roads were fairly clear. but all morning they were showing the backups everywhere. 2x worse than the usual morning rush hour. i think the snow really caught everyone by surprise. we were only expect to get 1-2 inches or something.

monique-i don't know if you have the same magazines up there (canada) or not but it is either SELF or Cosmopolitan that has an article this month on how to get a good night's sleep. you could probably go to their website for a peek if you were interested. all this week i have slept on the couch. My bf & i Aren't fighting, it's just that I just wanted to sleep alone. i have been staying up til 11 watching "Daria" on The-N (Noggin) Channel. I love Daria. My bf hates it. sometimes it is just nice to sleep alone & not have to deal w/someone moving around or making noise when you are trying to sleep ya know. anyway, i know something that puts me right to sleep--eating! but you probably don't want to use that as a means to an end! ;-)

FM, sorry to hear about your snake. it is always hard when an animal dies. it is so sad, because they are such a big part of your life.

well i better get going. I am off to see my therapist. i haven't seen her in about 2 weeks. have a nice weekend y'all & i'll try to post more next week.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:16 AM   #12  
ebe
noob

hiyas
this thread is soooo slow isn't it, lots more people in those up top threads. i'll have to start posting there too.
urgh
i am so pissed at myself. i had huuuuuuuge amounts of food yesterday and i haven't gone to the gym in three days.
now i'm trying to wake up enough to drag my flabby butt out there and get back to work.
i can at least rationalize the gym by thinking that my body probably needs time off to relax given my newbie gym status but still....should have gone and walked for an hour at the very least.

bad me!
and thai food for dinner last night......yummm but its always bad to leave a restaurant in pain from eating too much. i don't know how it happens there but it does...just roll myself out the door and into the car.
so anyway. well at least its saturday and i can spend the next two days at the gym. woot!

i'm really getting excited about strength training. i absolutely love it and the feeling of being stronger is sooo nice! when i started...only hummm 1 month ago, i could barely.....must stress baaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrely....do 1 set of bicep curls with only 1 plate on the machine. now i can do 3 and even added one plate on for 1 set. i'm psyched! its so funny i'm so proud after finishing my little ones and then some guy will come over and do like the whole stack of plates. gah! so much work to do. i know i can't compare myself but its damn impressive. lol....thats one thing i like about my gym....there are lots of buff young guys there everyday. but there is a nice mix of people so it isn't intimidating...and i have yet to ever have to wait for anything which is even better.
ok now i'm kind of revved up to get to work. maybe one more cup of coffee lol
Old 12-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

oooh, don't mention thai food........

david had me doing curls yesterday, and calf things. let's just say i'm sore today.

alright, i'm at school so i must go home now. ta!
Old 12-07-2002, 06:54 PM   #14  

Arrow no scales

hey everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well this month....
I am not doing too bad...eating clean and still going to the gym 6 times a week..I don't feel like I am getting anywhere but people say that i am looking different but i am just not seeing it, however, I am staying FAR away from scales lately...

I had a fit test at my gym and did VERY well..I did 21 or so push ups and 52 sit ups...that is great..b/c i could only do 8 push ups last time and 22 sit ups...so i was pretty happy..

one_sweetchick
Old 12-08-2002, 03:21 PM   #15  
ebe
noob

hi gonzo and sweetchick

sore is always a good sign right gonzo? i always think it is anyway....pushing your muscles just a little harder

sweetchick thats awesome about your fit test improvement! measurable and quatifiable in other ways than the scale. i completely detest scales, they're evil and should be done away with altogether if you ask me. being strong and fit is the most important thing so why stress over numbers?

i say that but i was looking through one of those fitness magazines and saw in one of their little shopping pages a blurb about a Tanita scale that is the most accurate you can buy and also measures body fat....
i want!
it costs $169 though =/
so...no scale for me until i magically come into piles of money. i'd rather buy new clothes than a scale any day.

on saturday i had a super workout. 4 hours at the gym to atone for three missed days.
like i said i'm really getting into weight training, i want to be strong and buff! *flex*
i was unsatisfied with only using the 6 basic upper body machines they have so i added in angled bicep curls with dumbbells and three shoulder exercises....i forget what they are all called...just those basic moves though.
plus used one of the scarier machines all the boys are always around for mmmmm whats it called....flies i think..chest thingy.
oh and added tricep thing to the tricep pushdown machine.

so i'm feeling it today. think i have a pretty good routine now for the time being. then i can re-evaluate in maybe 3 months
the only thing is that i tend to bulk up pretty easily so i'm avoiding lower body resistance work. everything i've read says that is bad....but.....shrug.

ok enough putting off the gym to post here
Closed Thread