Old 09-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Default SuperFoods Rx

Anyone read these books? I actually think I heard about them here first. I think they're brilliant and I have, I think, two or three of them. My problem is I'm having a hard time fitting everything into a menu AND doing it on a budget. For two adults and a child. Even if you're not trying to lose weight, this is good info and advice. I have a family history of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, various other degenerative diseases, high chol, high pb, etc. Yeah, it's not pretty. I'm trying to do what I can for myself and for my daughter.

Just wondering if anyone has read the books and its working on incorporating all this info into some kind of weekly template or something.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't formally try to follow any program from the books, but the original SuperFoods book was a real perspective changer for me. Really, really helpful. Later SuperFoods books weren't so helpful - one was organized just terrible, all repetitive, and the "diet" just seemed complicated to me and too carb-phobic to me. But the first book was a turning point for me.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have the original book. I purchased it after reading Glory287's very long weightloss story. Her story is very inspiring and "spoke" to me. I was encouraged to get the book and read it. I agree with the book. You can absolutely do it on a budget IMO. Maybe I have to spend more on these foods. These ideas aren't novel but as a reminder, these are some of the things I employ.

1. They are real foods that satiate my body--no need for unending mass quantities of them.

2. We don't eat out. Right there is a huge savings.

3. Be careful to use what you buy. Don't let things go bad.

4. Stock up as sales hit! We eat sockeye salmon several times a week. I would prefer it fresh but I bought frozen when it hit sale for $4 a pound over the summer.

I do not follow it to the tee. But yes, I believe in the power of the foods it prescribes! Like you I am totally in line for CRAP genes. I am in my 30's and already have two sisters with M.S., one sister with breast cancer and mother and father with diabetes and heart disease.

The way I look at it--I can either pay for the foods or pay with my health. I spend on two things at my house--nutrition and education. Anything else right now is "fluff."
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I read Superfoods RX when I was already eating better but it helped reinforced the ideals I was going for in my diet. I really think it is a good guideline.

We discuss whole foods in general in the Whole Foods forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whol...lifestyle-209/

Also, one of my favorite blogs is from a woman who feeds her family on $100/month. She doesn't always post recipes but it is good to get ideas and she focuses on healthy, real foods:
http://melomeals.blogspot.com/

My quick tips would be:
1) Buy your produce at either a farmer's market or an asian grocery store. Both of these places tend to be cheaper than your regular grocery store.

2) Buy grains/beans/nuts in bulk. Whole Foods and other health food stores will often have a bulk section which can save you money. They may also have a bulk spice section which can save you money on spices.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #5  

I have the original Superfoods Rx book. I haven't read the whole book, but use it more as a reference. I have the same problem fitting all the superfoods in my diet, especially daily, but I do order the SuperFoodsRx Supplements which give you the complete daily requirement of the nutrients the book suggests. Hope that helps!
noelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf View Post
I have the original Superfoods Rx book. I haven't read the whole book, but use it more as a reference. I have the same problem fitting all the superfoods in my diet, especially daily, but I do order the SuperFoodsRx Supplements which give you the complete daily requirement of the nutrients the book suggests. Hope that helps!
I order the supplements too! I try to fit all the SuperFoods in my diet, but its kind of hard unless I go shopping every day.

How long have you been taking the supplements? Do you feel healthier? energetic? or lost weight?
MommaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #7  

Well it's been about a year of taking the supplements now, and I love them. They just make you feel healthier all around. I found that my energy levels did go up too. The best part is that I feel great and have energy at the end of the day to go for a run, or work out. I'm not just coming home and crashing after work anymore. Because of that they have definitely helped with my weight loss. If you want I found this quiz on the SuperFoodsRx web site. ( http://www.peer2.com/bTZOcc ) it tells you how healthy you are. I found it to be interesting. I got a 56.
noelf is offline   Reply With Quote