Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/220 (10%)

Height: 5'7"

Default Introduction

I have been reading the posts on this board for the last 2 weeks and am finally pushing myself to step up and be counted. My doctor recommended 3 Fat Chicks to me several months ago and I wish I had investigated it then. So, about me:

GENERAL: I live at about 7000 feet above sea level on the Front Range of Colorado, which is the east or dry side of the Continental Divide, and so my name comes from aspen the tree, not aspen the glamorous ski resort. I am 51, married and a stay-at-home mom with a 15 year old son. Both husband and son are active and healthy and very supportive, if somewhat clueless about how different things are for me than for them.

PHYSICAL: I am 5'7" and up to 245 this morning from around 233 just 6 weeks ago. That was a nasty shock. I haven't gained or lost a lot of weight for several years. I don't have any physical restrictions except being fat and the joint stuff that comes along with that. Several months ago, my LDL= 80 (<100 is good), HDL=27 (50-60 is good), triglycerides=252 (<150 is good) and glucose=106 (70-100 is good). I suspect these numbers have probably gotten worse, if my weight gain is any indication.

MENTAL: I have a genetic disposition for depression (as in both parents and all sibs have it lol) which is usually mild to moderate in my case. Back in late July, something changed and I am now the kind of depressed that can barely get through daily chores, cries over nothing and often spends the majority of the day in bed. There was no event or external cause. I have been avoiding meds for depression for years and respond well to exercise, especially outdoors. I also am pathologically shy, sometimes to the point of not being able to buy groceries if I have to interact with the checker. In the anonymous world of the Internet, I can be chatty, insightful, funny and warm, but IRL, I probably couldn't actually look you in the eye.

So, today I walked my son half-way to the bus stop and then took off on a nice local path that heads up into the hills. (Pretty much all the paths head UP here lol) Now back home, I have more energy and feel more even-keel than I have --- which is why exercise is so darn important to me! I am going to clean up the kitchen and clean out the pantry/fridge. If my energy level stays high, I am going to plan food for the week. If not, I will plan food for today. Then I will go into town for groceries and maybe hit the public library for books about dieting, etc. (There are plenty of those around, aren't there?)

Finally, I wanted to tell you that reading your posts has made a noticeable difference. I think that is why I managed to get out the door today. The posts from people who are losing lot of weight, the posts from people who are stuck at the moment and all the informational posts are great. The posts from folks who have goofed up, but get right back to their program are particularly inspiring to me. And the people who have reached their goal, but still come here to encourage everyone else, well, you guys are heroes.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted the transparency that comes from revealing yourself to others. I am way too good at hiding and I don't want to do that here. I promise future posts will be less long-winded.
DarkAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #2  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome to the board Aspen. You will find all the support you need here, and if by chance you don't find it- just ask for it!! I spent a lot of time asking for support when I first started here since I don't have much support here- just 2 young boys who aren't as thrilled with Mama's changes as Mama is :-) We are glad you stopped lurking and joined in. The more of us encouraging each other the better it goes for all of us. I couldn't wait to get home and get back to 3fc!
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome DarkAspen, we're very glad you've joined us! Please stick around and post often so we can support you.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #4  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Welcome and congrats on making your first steps toward a healthier you.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I can identify with a lot of your post! Especially the depression part. Ugh. It's no fun to be irrationally sad. Good for you for getting out and walking. I'm in CA, but I graduated from CU so I know and love Colorado. Such a beautiful place you live in.

As for books, still one of my favorites is You on a Diet by Drs. Oz and Roisen. It's very easy to read and teaches you why your body needs what it needs and craves what it craves. The advice is really easy to follow and very common sense. It helped me a lot.

Good luck to you and I hope you post often so we can get to know you!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 10-19-2009 at 01:41 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome

Walking is great exercise. It is inexpensive and almost anyone can do it.

Also, the library will probably have tons of books. My recommendation would be to look at the south beach diet. When I wanted to learn how to eat healthy, the south beach diet helped me get started on the right path although I don't follow the diet myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

welcome!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/245/220 (10%)

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. You ladies are the nicest!

And thank you for the advice on diet books. I looked online for what our library has and there really are a million diet books lurking out there. And yet, so many people are overweight. Strange! (Or maybe not so strange? If we all lost the weight, we wouldn't be buying those books anymore.)
DarkAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #11  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

Welcome, I am new here too and Love this site, who knew support could be so..um..supportive! LOL. It really does make a difference! I can identify with you on exercise and depression, I feel like a million bucks after doing some physical activity! Good luck, I know you will be successful!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #12  
on a journey

Welcome, i've been concentrating on eating smaller, healthier meals and exercise. It's started working finally. This board is a huge help in not feeling so alone.

We are all someone where on the path to better health, so we are in this same space mentally.

Good luck!
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #13  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! You are certainly from a very beautiful part of the country. I lived in the Colorado Springs area for 9 years as a child, even started Kindergarten in Cripple Creek. Lots a nice places to walk and enjoy nature, which seems to encourage you.

Can't wait to "hear" more from you along your journey!

Angie
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #14  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Looking forward to getting to know you!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #15  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I am so glad you're here. I am fairly new and finding this forum a great source of inspiration and a safehaven.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote