Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 01:41 PM   #1  

Angry New and Unlurking

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am researching WLS. I had a meeting with my PCP who thinks it is a good idea since I have tried everything and nothing has worked. I am just 40 BMI but have high cholesterol, arthritis and family history of hypertension and heart disease.

I am in Northern California and have Blue Cross POS. I don't know how successful my insurance application will be but I have heard that Blue Cross CA is pretty good to work with.

I've been researching WLS for a year and meet with the dietician and surgeon this week. Next week all will be submitted to the insurance company and I hope to have lapband surgery in January.

It's a scary process. I'm both excited and afraid! Thanks to the mods for having this forum. Thanks all for being here.
NCOTB
Old 12-01-2002, 04:12 PM   #2  

Default Welcome!!

Hi Friend,

Just want to wish you well in your pursuit of WLS. It's great you have done your research so you have all the facts before you dive in......and, so you feel informed.

I had Open RNY almost 3 weeks ago and have lost 22 lbs. I had no complications, which I'm thankful for, but have been struggling the past 10 days or so with eating.......or lack of, I should say. I have been very nauseous and had to force myself to eat.....a 1st for that!! Things are gradually getting better and I hope my stomach settles down soon. Still, no regrets having surgery though. Anyway, welcome and keep posting. There are folks here who will answer your questions, and make sure you ask questions at your consults. Best wishes and God Bless....

Just me....Robin
Open RNY: Nov. 13, 2002
Old 12-01-2002, 07:30 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Default hey there new chickie!!!

and keep us posted on your journey.. it's not easy. but you know that, because you've done your homework.

lap band is a good choice for many people, and it sounds as if you have all your little duckies in a row, especially with the support of your PCP. and a reasonably cooperative insurance company, unlike some folks who need the surgery. and i do mean NEED.

as you know, this isn't the easy way out and for many of us, it's the last resort.

so, chickie.. hope to hear more from you during this exciting time of change!!!

oh, did anyone mention - or have you already done - your homework about not doing the emotional eating thing?? that's one habit that has to go with any type of WLS, and doing the work NOW, before the surgery, makes life easier afterwards.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:54 PM   #4  

Thanks. My PCP is actually my second PCP in a few months. I only went to OBGYN before that and didn't really use a PCP. A friend of mine, who is a dr., saw my struggle with weight loss (every diet and exercise program imaginable) and he said "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to consider WLS since all this diet and exercise is making you BIGGER." It would take me months to lose 10 or 20 lbs and a week or so to put it back on (by stopping exercise for a week or vacation would come up or I would get sick) PLUS MORE.!!!

I had my thyroid tested 3 times and it was normal. I started to research WLS but was only 38 BMI. I kept at the diet and exercise thing and worked really hard, day after day after day. Then I got sick, really sick, last summer with a head/chest cold/virus/flu that knocked me on my !!!
I was in bed for a few weeks and living on soft food (oatmeal and toast). Believe it or not, I gained 15 lbs in 2 weeks! I thought I was eating next to nothing and gained 15 lbs!

I thought about WLS and started to see a new PCP who listened to me but then when I got home, he called me back and said he did not approve of the idea since I was just hovering near 40 BMI. I have high cholesterol and other serious comords but he thought I needed to try phentermine or xenical (AGAIN! I had done that already more than once). I sent him some information on WLS and he was insulted and his secretary called me up and asked how I could question his knowledge!

I cried. and cried and cried.

I figured that no one would help me and I would be stuck in 38/39 BMI **** forever. Well, I stopped dieting, stopped everything. I didn't out but I ate "normally" and managed to move into the 40 BMI range (I'm still actually like 39.99999).

I went to see a new PCP who discussed everything with me carefully. He didn't understand the other PCPs lack of approval for someone who has tried everything, understands the process and has 3 serious comords. He sent a letter to the surgeon I am considering and promises to work with me and the surgeon on this (to get insurance approval).

I checked with Blue Cross of California POS and their policy seems to be over 40 BMI or over 35 with 3 or more serious co-mords.
I have had my psych consult and tomorrow meet with the dietician and then Friday I meet with the surgeon. I am so excited.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:39 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

congrats!!! you are really doing everything possible, and you have already DONE everything you could

and i DO indeed understand about being sick and gaining weight. during my unfortunate [hospital] incarceration in the summer of 2001, i gained about 10 pounds on a strictly supervised 800 calorie diet!!!

keep on going!!1
Old 12-07-2002, 01:03 AM   #6  

I had my consultation with my surgeon today.

He thinks I'm an excellent candidate for the surgery!!!

I have done all the consults and now just need to wait for them to pull all the things together for my insurance letter. I was in the waiting room with a few other patients who all think that Blue Cross California is a great insurance co that will approve right away (the medical staff seem to think so too but they weren't as enthusiastic just in case there is a denial).

yeah!
Old 12-07-2002, 06:22 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

you go!!!! congratulations!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:02 PM   #8  

My paperwork is at Blue Cross of California!!! I'm so excited! I have a different last name than my husband and he is the policy holder so they just called to verify spelling of his name.

Anyway, I am so excited that it's there! BC lady wouldn't show her hand as far as how long it would take to be approved but she hinted that it wouldn't be long.

Old 12-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

what more can i say???? you're off and running!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:15 PM   #10  
Slowly going crazy!

This is exciting! ! ! I can't wait for you to get through this. The money part is sometimes the hardest. I'm a self pay, but I am totally worth it, as you are too. I hope you get through this little step quickly! ! !
Closed Thread