Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #1  
Never Say Never

S/C/G: 233/210/135

Height: 5'2

Smile Has anyone ever heard of a Sweat Suit?

Hi Everyone!!
I was recently have been to target and walmart looking for a treadmill I also went to sporting good stores and i saw a sweat suit... and I am curious do they really help you lose weight and water weight? Has anybody lost any weight with this suit? Should I buy one? Is there any risk to it? how many calories do you burn with this suit on? and do you have to exericise with it on or just do house chores and lounge around enough? thanks...
D22Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

They will help you lose water weight, which you will promptly regain.

Bypass them.

Last edited by CountingDown; 10-17-2009 at 05:04 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #3  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

I actually saw the body suit when I was buying dumbells the other day... I probably wouldnt waste my money on it. I looked at the Golds one and the material was really thin and cheap. I just dont think it would do much of any thing besides what counting down said which is make you lose water weight so you can gain it right back.
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

These were really popular in the early to mid 70's. They've been around alot longer than that, and never really disappeared, but they're essentially uselss, except to dehyrdate yourself into a smaller size for a particular event - knowing that as soon as you have a glass of water, it'll come back on.

And of course, there's the very real risk of dehydrating yourself ill. People have even died using the suits (though most people are smart enough to take the suit off as soon as it starts to become uncomfortable).

The "home version" of this is wrapping yourself in saran wrap. Which I'm ashamed to admit I did (this was in the late 70's, and since I was born in 1966 I was 13 or younger at the time). I remember my mom yelling at me, because I used up nearly a whole roll of saran wrap (oddly, she didn't criticise what I was doing, but rather was upset that I had used up the entire roll).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-17-2009 at 06:03 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Colleen - I remember the Saran Wrap craze - AMAZING what the diet/exercise industry as well as well-meaning dieters and doctors have come up with over the years.

Common sense seems to be in short supply MANY places (3FC not-withstanding of course).
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

When don't allow the suits at my gym. They increase your risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke, and they dehydrate you. We have a lot of people who bring them in wanting to use them in the sauna. Seriously guys? Yes, I'm certified to save your life, that doesn't mean I should have to. Be smart, stay safe. (sorry, little lifeguard rant there)

Last edited by Aclai4067; 10-17-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #7  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Talking Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
When don't allow the suits at my gym. They increase your risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke, and they dehydrate you. We have a lot of people who bring them in wanting to use them in the sauna. Seriously guys? Yes, I'm certified to save your life, that doesn't mean I should have to. Be smart, stay safe. (sorry, little lifeguard rant there)

I remember those things and I used to have one or two..not worth it, like everyone else said. Totally unsafe!
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #8  
Never Say Never

S/C/G: 233/210/135

Height: 5'2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
These were really popular in the early to mid 70's. They've been around alot longer than that, and never really disappeared, but they're essentially uselss, except to dehyrdate yourself into a smaller size for a particular event - knowing that as soon as you have a glass of water, it'll come back on.

And of course, there's the very real risk of dehydrating yourself ill. People have even died using the suits (though most people are smart enough to take the suit off as soon as it starts to become uncomfortable).

The "home version" of this is wrapping yourself in saran wrap. Which I'm ashamed to admit I did (this was in the late 70's, and since I was born in 1966 I was 13 or younger at the time). I remember my mom yelling at me, because I used up nearly a whole roll of saran wrap (oddly, she didn't criticise what I was doing, but rather was upset that I had used up the entire roll).
thats really funny about your mom getting upset about you using all the saran wrap i was gigglen by myself her at work in my coworkers were staring at me as if I was going crazy hilarious I think i just lost a pound....hahaha...which will bring me to my next thread....hahaha....
D22Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote