Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 08:05 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs down friday

So, they didn't close down work. This is what I look like this morning: because of the snow! My cheeks are all red hehe. I think we got around 6-7 inches. It looks really pretty out right now. The roads are OK, not great, but the roads on the base here are horrible. I'm surprised they didn't cancel work for the morning at least.

So, today is OK so far. I have had some bad days the past 3-4 days. Let's hope today goes well. No run ins with the boss or any other people I don't care to talk to.

I can't weigh in this week. I was supposed to yesterday, but too much snow. I can't Saturday morning because I'm working, so I will have to skip a week. I might leave work to get weighed in on Saturday...I'm not dure yet.

I did most of my Christmas shopping at the beginning of November. I have 4 people left to shop for. 3 I have to shop for online, can't get the stuff at stores. The other is my dad's parents, and we (my brothers and I) always send them flowers.

I really wasn't in the "Christmas Spirit" the past couple of years. But this year I think it is different becuase I am not living at home anymore. Christmas Eve we are driving up to my parents' house. Then we are driving back home that night (2 hours each way). Christmas Day we are going to Jay's parents' house. I'm thinking of going back home again the weekend after Christmas to spend some more time with my parents and brothers. I've been missing them all a lot lately...

So...anyone have any ideas how I can make a lot of money really fast?
Old 12-06-2002, 08:17 AM   #2  
Running Babe

Lori: yeah last Christmas was really hard on me. I was having problems with my boyfriend and I had to work on the 26th.. So I hardly spent any time with my family at all... that sucked let me tell you (my parents also live an hour and a half away from me), and with my emotionally distant boyfriend who didn't even bother to call me from the 22-27 of December, I was pretty sad (hence I started the new year by dumping my man). So do spend some extra time if possible with your family.

Hey all, I am just getting ready for an exam... I should do well. I am guaranteed an A in the course unless I completely forget everything

Have a good day!

Ali
Old 12-06-2002, 08:39 AM   #3  
Running Babe

Oh, and I have been good on my points as of late.... I was trying to do free days for a while and realized they are soooo not good for me. It kind of brought back patterns of binge eating that I definitely don't ever want to deal with again. I am serious ladies, on some cheat days I was probably consuming about 100points or so, and on what? not just junk food, but too much healthy food too. It was really bad. It also brought on an all or nothing attitude when it came to my points and stuff on non-cheat days.

I have thought a lot about what worked for me in the past and I realize what worked was one meal every other week or so where I had whatever I wanted plus a dessert. Also with that if I wanted a piece of chocolate on a regular day, I could have that too... As long as I had the points for it.

In actuality I would like to be about 5lbs lighter than I am now, and I am trying to do it sensibly. Treating myself once in a while and keeping tabs on my points. I think I'll also start journalling again too. I have decided on Christmas day I will be lax, but try and count my points regardless. I will also have 3 other days where I go above points (Iin December), but that's it.

Take Care!

Ali
Old 12-06-2002, 10:34 AM   #4  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

hey all, I was busy this morning. Boss is back from a convention and on a rampage. This always happens. She is all "this has to be done, and why isn't this done, and what's up with this...." UGHHHHHH.... like I have said before Nov. and Dec. are REALLY bad months and this doesn't help! TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing new with me. Last night we signed Emma up for a new round of swimming classes. She moved up a level. She was a Shrimp, now she is a Perch!!!

Lori, I get all out of wack if my holidays aren't like I am used to. We live close to both parents, but both want us to visit too. My parents are 30 minutes, his are 40, in opposite directions. I love going to church on Christmas Eve and seeing the Christmas performance. My neice is in them and soon my nephew too, heck, soon Emma will be. Last year I missed it because the in-laws got all crabby, and it kind of made the rest of the holidays yucky! So every year this is a big ordeal with us. Not sure how it will work out this year. We want our OWN Christmas too since Emma knows what is going on, but with the way we get pulled in both directions, it doesn't work. And that isn't fair, so we are trying to make it work this year!

Ali, yah on the grades!!! I give myself a free day, but I know that I can't allow more than 1 a week or I am totally off!!

OK, back to work... hut two three four!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 12:22 PM   #5  
Eve's Mom

I don't give myself "free days" but yesterday may as well have been - I was good until dinner when I ate 5 snackwell cookies for dessert and steak for my main course. I ate rice plain and brocoli plain as well, those aren't so bad. I ate over by about 5 points (all the cookies I ate!). I felt really weak too and was worried I was getting sick but I slept on the couch for an hour and went to bed at 9:30. Trouble is, my back pain wakes me up each night and some nights I can't get comfortable b/c of it. B/f has learned to sleep through me tossing and turning and getting up to stretch...but it is taking a toll on my health I think. I can't remember the last time I slept through the night or only got up once, even....if I get up 2 times I am doing well.

Lori -where do you work??

Ali - I remember last xmas sucked for you. I hope this year is 100% better - that is my xmas wish for you!!

Jen - your family and the inlaws dont mix well, right? That sucks - otherwise you could have them at YOUR place. Sooner or later, esp with baby #2 coming, you will have to have your own xmas. I always liked that my grandparents were in winnipeg b/c it was always our xmas. until mom and dad divorced, then we started going to dad's too. Now we do mom's xmas eve, my sisters xmas day (dinner) and dad's boxing day. But until dinner on xmas day, it will be a day for me and b/f at OUR place. We have decided that - no running around. Its also his b-day, so he wants to have some special time to himself with me.

Well, I should get to work if I don't want overtime this weekend. And sometime I want to get my butt to the gym for a run...

Have a good OP day BBL!
Old 12-06-2002, 12:40 PM   #6  
Proud Canadian

Morning everyone and Happy Friday! I'm tired today and very glad for the weekend. I actually hit the snooze button this morning which is something I never do. On the Christmas topic. We have so many families (with 4 children in the family and their spouses and children etc) my mom said I'm doing dinner on Christmas day and that's that. She used to work around schedules and have it on Boxing day or Christmas eve, now we all go to her on Christmas afternoon. This year we are all going to my brother in-law's family celebration - They have a family dinner on Boxing day and this year there's 70 people which is basically his parents brothers and sisters and their spouses and children - huge French Catholic family. It will be a nice afternoon I'm sure. I say the best way to go is make your plans ahead of time and let everyone know what you're doing. That way, they have to schedule around you and you get a relaxing and enjoying holiday.
Lori - make sure you take some time to have fun in that snow!
Ali - After 5 Christmases with a boyfriend who hated Christmas I'm really excited about a Christmas on my own with my family. It will be so much more relaxing than worrying about someone else all day.
Jen - if you guys sleep in your own beds Christmas eve, you'll have your own Christmas on Christmas morning and it should be perfect. Emma's such a good age for holidays.

OK - this took way too long to type - hi to everyone else.
I'll be back. When the boss is away...
KT
Old 12-06-2002, 12:45 PM   #7  
Proud Canadian

Belle - it took so long for me to post that I missed yours. Is it your back pain from your fall still? My suggestion, cause it worked for me, is swimming. It's great to build up the back muscles (and hopefully minimize the pain) and good excercise.
KT
Old 12-06-2002, 02:19 PM   #8  

Belle, I agree with KT, try some exercise that is lower impact on your back. Running may not be the best for you. I have back pain also, and I know that anything that is jarring to my back is not good.

As for my in-laws. They are a different breed. Christmas is very commercial to them and no real meaning. I don't like that. And they aren't very personal, so we just basically sit around and stare at each other. I really don't enjoy it at all. Even if they came to our house, it would be the same thing. And I really want some personal family time. And my MIL is hot and cold with me (and most everyone), it all depends on the drugs she is on. She takes pain killers and anti depressants and some other things. When they weaned her totally off of them to do some tests.... YIKES, I couldn't go near her. So that is it. Sad thing, I had a set of grandparents that were not very family like and I hated that. My other grandparents, my g-ma died before I was born, so I felt like I never had a grandmother. And swore I wouldn't let my children go through that..... and I was cursed with in-laws who are the same way. Oh and hubby has the same problems with them as I do. He said he was never close to them his whole life, they have always been like this. So sad.

Anyhoooo.... so hopefully Christmas morning Emma will wake up to Santa leaving her presents. We usually tell people what we are doing, but as you can see from above, the in-laws usually have opposition. Oh well. We are a family now too!

So where is everyone lately? Must be that time of year when everyone hides. I am sure people will come out of the woodwork when New Years rolls around and they make resolutions. That always happens!!!

Ta ta!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #9  
Eve's Mom

Hey girls! Yeah, I think that my excersize might have something to do with it - and that I need a body pillow to not always wind up on my belly at night - I like to sleep on my tummy! OH well Maybe I'll take up swimming, but its not convenient and there are no public pools nearby.

And yeah, its still from my rollerblading accident. Its been since May 12 and still horrible. BLECH!!

B/f is moody today! I called to see if he wanted to go bowling tonight after work and he was very wishy washy and grouchy. I think he needs a good swift kick in the arse today. Or a beer - maybe I'll buy some beer on the way home. I could use one too! I'll by light so I can have it

Jen I think you are right- people do tend to disappear over the holidays then come back in the New year (same at the gym and WW). But I'll be here - even if I am all alone! Its easier to get through the holidays with support.

BBL
Old 12-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #10  

Oh Belle, I hate the gym in January. There are actually lines you have to wait in to get on equipment. It is so annoying because you know those people won't be there for the long haul. That and I hate it when college kids are home and HS are out of school. They don't have gym etiquette. At mine, we have to sign up for a machine and you can't sign up for longer than 30 minutes. Well, they never sign up, throw a stink when people say they aren't signed up, make a huge mess in the locker room. Oh and they are always screwing around. I just dread it.

My gym has 2 pools and unless there are swim lessons, you can usually count on one being set up in lanes for swimming. At lunch one is because hubby goes once in awhile. The membership here is much more costly than a regular gym, but we can get a family membership. I would like to, but I am a little swim suit phoebic. Especially now that I am huge. Plus, I can't just jump out of a pool, I need steps (I found this out at Emma's swim classes). So I may wait to try swimming. I keep telling hubby one of these days. I think he gave up on me tho!
Old 12-06-2002, 04:53 PM   #11  
Proud Canadian

Jen - no fun on the in-law front. We have always been such an affectionate family that I couldn't imagine not WANTING to be with my family around a holiday. I've only missed one Christmas with them and I went home on Boxing day cause I couldn't take being away from them at that time of year. And your gym sounds Amazing. I have access to all of it at work and I don't use it. I should really start. It will be dead at this time off year.

Belle - I LOVE sleeping on my tummy. It's so comfy! Although I found when I slept on my own when the ex was out of town I would wake up surrounded in pillows and flat on my back. One under my head and 2 lined up on either side of me. it was strange. I don't do it now that I'm on my own.

OK, back to whatever else I can find to do.
KT
Old 12-06-2002, 04:58 PM   #12  

I love tummy sleeping too. It is the most comphy for me and if I bend my one leg just right, it makes my back feel better. But I am almost to the point that I am strictly a side sleeper now with my belly. I can still sleep slightly turned so inbetween belly sleeping and side sleeping. Soon the Body pillow is coming out and hubby dreads that because I take up way more than my half of the bed. I remember the night after having Emma, I slept on my belly in the hospital and was in heaven!!

Have a great weekend all!
Old 12-06-2002, 04:59 PM   #13  

Default happy friday

Belle - I sleep on my tummy too! I work at a place called the Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC). The easiest way to describe it is that I work for the Navy as a civilian government employee.

My parents started to do everything on Christmas Eve when we got older. So we open all our presents, and the big dinner is Christmas Eve. But its all seafood and I am allergic so my mom has to make me my own spaghetti sauce with no clams and set spaghetti aside for me, and that is all I eat besides No-Bake Cookies. If you don't know what No-Bake Cookies are, you don't want to....2 points each! But they are soooooooooo good! Chocolate, peanut butter, oats, butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. It tastes more like candy. I'm going to have my mom send me teh recipe so I can make it with sweetner and light butter and low fat peanut butter...

Jay's parents do this WEIRD thing with unwrapping presents. They start at 7am and don't finish until around noon! You go around in a circle and open ONE PRESENT AT A TIME...and these people buy TONS of presents. I told them...we have to drive 2 hours and will be getting home late from the night before. Don't even EXPECT US until noon. And his stepmom told me they would wait until we got there to do the present opening...ugh! On top of that, his parents are re-doing their kitchen and its anyone's guess if it will be finished my Christmas. AND I don't want them to wait, I just want to open our presents when we get there. AND AND there was almost a huge fight because Jay's sister wanted Christmas at her house this year because she was afraid their kitchen wouldn't be finished. AND AND AND we are NOT having Christmas at his sister's but at his parents' because they refuse to hold it anywhere else, even if the kitchen IS in shambles. AND AND AND AND I could go on and on.

Jay and I are just doing our own thing Christmas Eve after we get home from my parents' house. Opening our presents and stockings from eachother, since it is our first Christmas living together. We wanted to do something just the two of us.

I still have to get the cats Christmas presents (we do stockings for them)
Old 12-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #14  
Running Babe

Belle: Your holiday sentiments made me cry... okay TOM is approaching, but thanks That's my wish too and I am determined to have a good christmas.

Actually my back is sooooo sore today. I think it's from sitting too much... I gotta get me back to teh gym!

Jen: I know, the gym in January is terrible... I think my new years' resolution will be to find me a regular cardio class... A place near me offers Cardio Kickboxing and my gym has classes... I'll figure out something and compare and what not. I am still self-conscious when I am swimming and stuff.... Yeah my dad still has tons of problems with his mom... didn't help that he moved accross the ocean and stuff. He gets guilt all the time.... Although I have met my relatives I have pretty much grown up without an extended family. I mean I am starting to get to know some now but an ocean does make a huge difference and what not. I never met my mom's mom... She sounded like an awesome lady. She died a year before I was born (of a stroke, I am soooo glad my mom has gotten her bp under control).

KT: Have an amazing Christmas and do what you want That's the best

Take Care!!!

Ali
Old 12-06-2002, 05:07 PM   #15  

BTW - What is Boxing Day??
Closed Thread