Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #1  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Exclamation A calorie cycling observation...

Calorie cycling FOR ME does not speed up my weight loss. Period. At all.

I've been sitting doing tons of calculations etc and over the last 6 months I've alternated one month calorie cycling, one month not. And my rate of loss? EXACTLY THE SAME.

And for the last four months I've lost between 8-9 pounds a month. Which yes is MASSIVELY slower than it used to be... but I'm not worried. With losing at this rate I will be at my goal by summer. That works for me.

But ya... no increased weight loss by calorie cycling. I was checking back into it as I figured I could use a boost in the speed department but after all of my calculations it's not worth it. Very strange.

Now this is just ME and not anyone ELSE but I thought it was worth a post!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't think it's strange at all.

Never worked for me either. I never attempted it though. I never calorie cycled and I lost steadily. Although I did eat slightly more on the weekends.

*For me*, it's always, always, always been about creating a calorie deficit while eating healthy foods. As long as I steadily did that, I steadily lost. I never had to "trick my body" or "keep it guessing". I stayed at the same calorie level for months and I ate very similar foods for months. All my body needed was to create that calorie deficit and use up my stored fat.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #3  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Wow! If you are still losing 8 - 9 pounds/month you are doing great! I consider 5 pounds a good month for me. Just keep on doing what you are doing, you obviously have it goin' on!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #4  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

The key is to find something that works for you right Isn't it great to have all this data so you can go back and pick up trends! I'm such a data nerd

You made me check out my own monthly losses...something I haven't looked at in a while. I'm all over the map!!! But when I go back to see the numbers behind the monthly weight loss I know why it was high or low. I've switched up my daily calories a couple of times dropped them twice upped them 3 times (all for at least a month to see what would happen).

This Sunday I'm running a 1/2 marathon, then taking a week off from training, then hitting the weights hard and cutting back on cardio big time.

I've been maintaining for the past 3 weeks on an avg of 2,500 cals (needed the fuel for the 1/2 marathon training). I'll be dropping down to 1,900 in the next week and half see what happens from there. 5lbs to go for that 100lb loss, I know it's just a number but I want it real bad

How many cal are you eating now? Still walking and doing yoga? Have you added any strenth training?

You are rocking it cfmama
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

Right now I'm eating 1500 calories. Walking 4 miles 3 times a week, yoga three times a week and no strength training yet. I HAVE to get started on that. I HAVE to. I know. Kick my butt now. Please.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
Right now I'm eating 1500 calories. Walking 4 miles 3 times a week, yoga three times a week and no strength training yet. I HAVE to get started on that. I HAVE to. I know. Kick my butt now. Please.
Do it. Do it. DO IT!!! Don't be intimidated. Make it simple. BUY A RESISTANCE BAND. It's the greatest. You can add muscle to every area of your body, right in your own home with that wonderful thing. You think those emerging bones are cool? The smaller sizes? Wait till you get yourself some muscle. AND it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories. AND having muscle is healthy. It's good for your bones and a slew of other things.

Kick. Kick. Kick.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #7  
In the Home Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
WELL GET ON IT WOMAN! Even if you just get some dumbbells you can do so much with just that and you'll get some SPECTACULAR results! Trust me, I'm blown away how my shape has changed since I started lifting. I wish I started right when I started losing so I could have held on to more lean body mass. I'm here for you if you decide to get into it...I'm no expert but I'm always willing to share

Now go lift something heavy!

Last edited by daniela; 10-13-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #8  
In the Home Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Do it. Do it. DO IT!!! Don't be intimidated. Make it simple. BUY A RESISTANCE BAND. It's the greatest. You can add muscle to every area of your body, right in your own home with that wonderful thing. You think those emerging bones are cool? The smaller sizes? Wait till you get yourself some muscle. AND it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories. AND having muscle is healthy. It's good for your bones and a slew of other things.

Kick. Kick. Kick.
DITTO and one more time "it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories" can you say, "JACKPOT!"
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

OMG Daniella - I just looked at your progress pics - your arms and back and shoulders are amaaaaaaaaazing! You must be so happy and proud.
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
DITTO and one more time "it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories" can you say, "JACKPOT!"
It can't be said enough times. You were calorie cycling to try and speed things up. So, ummm, hello - proven - effective - healthy - way to do so. No gimmicks. No nuthin'. Not only will this speed things up for now. But and here's the BIG thing. It will always be there to help you speed things up or at least keep things MAINTAINED in the future. Forever. Got that? It will help you with maintenance. And let me tell you dear friend, that's something you don't want to pass up on.

So get cracking. Don't waste another second. It does take time to develop muscle. Especially us women. But develop it you will. Don't delay.

I'm only yelling at you because, well because I care about you.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

HELP! I have 8 lb free weights, 2 lb free weights and access to others. I'm going to buy a resistance band. Lead me wonderful women. Can you send me to a website that will help me develop a work out plan?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #12  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I'm with cfmama! I want to learn how to use a resistance band, but I don't know where to look to learn! At my gym it's kind of a non-trainer place and you have to pay big bucks to get advice from them so it's a no go learning from THEM. Plus, I need something I can do before I go into work on nights I can't make it to the gym to do anything. Anything you tell her, please tell me!!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Tammy, you know this is the second time I've lost over 100 lbs. First time, I lifted no weights. Nada. Not a one. At the time, I couldn't even pick up a relatively small hound (50 lbs). And, when I got to the 190s, I was jiggly. My arms had folds in the skin from where the fat had absconded. I had to wear support hose under dresses and pants because my tummy was so saggy. And that was almost 10 years ago.

This time, I have lifted HEAVY weights and it has made all the difference in the world. Even under all this remaining fat you can see my delts, pecs, my arms are very muscular and I even have a rudimentary (very rudimentary, but the definition is there) six-pack. Heavy, heavy, heavy.

So, my suggestion would be, to start out, Weight Lifting for Dummies. Then as you grow stronger, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. All freeweights, no machines, heavy, heavy, heavy. Fewer reps, heavier weights. You will see a difference very quickly. It's awesome! And very well worth it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

Tammy, you can just google "resistance band workouts" and a bunch of things will pop up. With visuals, since it would be hard to explain it here in writing.

I know about.com has some good stuff and fitnessmagazine.com/resistance has VERY good stuff as well.

You can also pop into the Exercise/lifting forum here at 3FC. I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge there. Also, when you purchase the band(s), it will come with a booklet. I know it seems foreign now, but in no time it will be natural and comfortable for you.

Oooh, I'm excited for you!!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #15  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Tammy - I like several of the DVD workouts from 10 Minute Solutions. I bought the Spry resistance bands and they came with a poor-quality, but very instructive video.

Many, many videos come with the resistance bands already included in the package. Check out Collage Video for snippets of different workouts to see what would work for you.

And - definitely give resistance bands a try - they are GREAT! If this old chickie can do it, you can too!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote