Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #1  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Default Sleeveless *cringes*

I just got a picture of the dress my cousin wants me to wear to her wedding (maid of honor)...and its sleeveless. And, she knows I will not go sleeveless. I will wear a flippin long sleeve layering tee under that dang dress if she thinks thats what she wants me to wear. Why do skinny chicks always completely ingore the requests of other people when picking out brides maids dresses. Its a winter wedding too...on the solstice, in ALASKA. She's crazy. Any other bridesmaid dress horror stories out there. I'm sending my cousin a link to a long sleeve thermal shirt I'll be wearing under my dress. See how she likes that!
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It seems like there are very few dresses with sleeves for brides or bridesmaids these days. I would rather die than go sleeveless in public!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

can she get a dress that has a matching shawl?
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I wore a strapless bridesmaids dress for my best friend's wedding at 250lbs. The dress was pretty...but not on me. However it's the Bride's day so she wins.

I would also suggest matching shawl!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Yes, a shawl or a cardigan. Point out to her that it will be cold--maybe she'll be able to relate more to that!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

A shawl would look very nice, I bet. I wouldn't rock the boat, it is her day.

I bet your arms do not look as bad as you imagine at your weight. You are a lot smaller than I am, and I imagine you are your worst critic! If you can comfortably oblige her, I'd do it.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #7  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

I HATE my arms and would totally ask if you could wear a matching shaw or something in some nice polite way. I dont see anything wrong with asking.

But Im sure even at worst case, she doesnt agree, you wont look bad at all! We're all def more hard on ourselves.

Hope it works out for ya!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

When I got married my bridesmaids were all sizes (from a size 24 to a size 2), so I just picked a color and let them all wear whatever dress they wanted. I guess I'm lucky that I've never been a bridesmaid.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #9  

It's the brides vision. What can you do?

I'm the Maid of honor in my sister in laws wedding. she picked a halter top bridesmaid dress. I. have. huge. boobs. crap.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #10  
This means war...

Well, 80 lbs ago my arms looked fine but since I've lost weight they've literally deflated and look like old lady flapping wings with unstretched out stretch marks and lumpy cellulite. One of them has a permanent crease where a roll used to be. I carried my weight like an apple when I was at my heaviest so I was arms, boobs and belly. And, its her third wedding so I'm not going to humiliate myself for her, I'd rather not even be involved in the ceremony if its going to involve humiliating myself. I literally need to have my arms surgically fixed to ever look remotely normal again, and she should be sympathetic to that, why humiliate the person that is supporting you through the whole wedding thing. I really am tempted to just say **** with it and just be a plain ol' guest for the whole affair. I don't want to be like that, but, she's got a 30 year old maid of honor at her third wedding...I feel like she is literally being mean and making me look hideous so she can feel better about herself. And really, I told her three months ago when she asked me to be her MOH that I didn't want to wear anything sleeveless and the dress had to hit the ankles. AND, I have to buy the dress myself so am I that far off base here in complaining?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #11  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Yea, knowing the situation now I would def tell her youre wearing a non sleeveless dress or a shaw or you arnt in the wedding! Eck! Sorry about your tough spot! Good luck!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #12  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

A couple of thoughts.
- Since you asked her in advance for nothing sleeveless, I do think she should respect your wishes. Any chance the dress could be altered by a seamstress to add a sleeve? Even a sheer material should help you feel more covered.
- When is the wedding? Do you lift weights? Maybe you could build up some lovely biceps in time?
- I think the idea of having matching colors, and letting the bridesmaids choose their own dresses is a great one. Do you think she would go for that?
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #13  
This means war...

eh, like all of her weddings, she is acting like a princess. I did email her a picture of a thermal long sleeve shirt and told her that was what I was going to wear under it. For this wedding she has me as the maid of honor, my thin sister as a brides maid and her two daughters as flower girls and all the dresses are this sick cotton candy pink with shimmery beads or something on the bodice, I can't tell from the picture she sent. I don't think the dress can be altered, it has spaghetti straps (hello, boobs! that also means I'll have to wear a strapless bra to hold up my double d's *forehead smack*, good thing I have a good corsette that will work under the dress).

I can deal with the cotton candy pink....ick, I know she loves pink so I knew from her first two weddings what I was getting into with the pink situation. Oh, guess what. Her wedding dress has full sleeves, all the way down to a loop to the middle finger. ???. *shakes head*. The wedding isn't till December so I have time to either work it out with her or bail on her. I'm trying to enlist my sister on the the demanding sleeves for the winter wedding thing...but she's in Slovakia right now and not responding to my emails.
The flower girl dresses are freakin adorable. I wish I was 5.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #14  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

I agree. I picked bridesmaid dresses with sleeves when I got married 10 years ago, and I swear, they were the ONLY ones around. EVERYTHING else I saw was sleeveless. I even had cap sleeves on my wedding gown. Also extremely hard to find. A few of my bridesmaids could have pulled off sleeveless, but my SIL definitely could not, and I would have had **** to pay if I had given her a sleeveless dress. I can't say anything though, because I still can't pull off sleeveless (big arms, big boobs, ugh!). I would try talking to her about this again.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybelle9 View Post
she picked a halter top bridesmaid dress crap.
I have HORRIBLE memories from this type of bridesmaid dress. When I ordered it I was one size and when the wedding happened I was 1-2 sizes larger. Oh, it was awful. Then I got drunk and made an A$$ of myself.

do. not. repeat.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote