The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Anyone done JM Making The Cut?

I was curious if anyone has done this plan as it is layed out in the book? I want to try this when I get back from vacation. I currently follow her Winning by Losing book.

If you have done this how were your results?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/162/120

Height: 5'6"

I am just starting Making the Cut. I am hoping to see results soon. I am doing it with a friend who has already started seeing results.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #3  
CherryBombJen

Location: Ventura, CA *currently in Louisiana on family business*

S/C/G: 21.3%/19.7%/12%

Height: 5'0"

Default I have the book....

I used to work in the Entertainment section at a Target....and was in charge of the books. I saw that GEM and had to have it.

I use it a lot as an example for clients curious on how to eat for their body types. For instance most people don't even know what it means when I ask if they want to figure out what type of oxidizer they are.

The exercises are specific for certain muscles and to fix certain issues you don't like about your body. As in they train muscles to get a rounder booty....basically you don't want to do a million squats if you don't want to grow your bottom

I recommend that book, and that program. It seems to make a lot sense to me, and while I haven't gotten around to following the diets listed or the exact workout regimen *I tend to make my own workouts up* I respect the amount of knowledge and care that went into them.

Before you BUY the book be aware that the 30 day cut challenge is for those last pesky pounds, I don't know the name of it but she has another book for more serious weight loss
Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #4  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I'm on the holds list at the library for this book. The list is long enough that I figure by the time my turn comes up, I'll actually be getting close to those last pesky pounds.

Does anyone know if the workouts she develops in the book require one to be at a gym full of equipment? Her videos are very minimalist and equipment free which is part of the reason I like them. I may be less excited about a book that requires me to take out a memebership at a gym. There are too many excuses between my bed and the gym (no so many between my bed and the living room).
Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I did finally buy MTC, but haven't tried it yet for a few reasons. You have to eat the stuff as laid out, there didn't seem to be any options if you are vegetarian or if you avoid certain foods, Jillian says she was mostly vegetarian on her radio show so I was expecting meals more close to how she eats.

Sylvied, she gives a few different exercises you can pick to target the muscle groups you are working that day. Some exercises are for gym equipment, but it doesn't look hard to pick exercises that you can do at home. The only exercise that would be hard to do without a gym is pull downs, but if you get those bands with the door anchor you can do them that way.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #6  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks ringmaster. I will not cancel my hold for the book. It sounds like it's at least worth a read.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

Congrats to anyone who is doing this! it sounds really tough!

I took the book out from the library and I'm not really sure what to make of it. A lot of the recipes sound great and the workout routines sound challenging/interesting, but some of the stuff sounds odd to me.

I guess it just my pet peeve but Jillian recommends no alcohol for 30 days - OK that makes sense. But then recommends that if you "have" to drink once you are done with the 30 days you have Diet Coke and Rum or Vodka and setlzer instead of wine. Yikes, I gave up Diet Coke ages ago -- can a glass of wine really be that bad for me or worse than Diet Coke which is filled with chemicals? She allows you to use Splenda and products like Fat-free Redi Whip -- which again seem gross and chemical to me.

So in summary I would like to try the recipes and the workouts but I don't think I could completely buy in. But I would love to hear more from people who are doing this and seeing results.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

As a follow up I just read Jillian's Master Your Metabolism and liked it so much better. She now recommends eating organic with little to no processed food -- which makes so much more sense to me and wine is back in as the best drink if you want to drink and Diet Coke is banned. But sigh ... good thing I make my own decisions because these fitness "experts" keep changing their tune.

Last edited by jayjay77; 10-13-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

jayjay, I've been listening to Jillian's old radio shows from the last few years, and Yes I have noticed she has definitely changed her tune. One show was about vegans and she wasn't recommending it too much, but in her more recent radio shows she has gone almost vegetarian saying she eats just fish and some yogurt now. It can get confusing!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I have the book and I am adding exercises from in into my routine, but she clearly states that unless you can achieve at least a (was it "good") rating on all the pre-evaluation exercises you arent ready for this book. Since the point of the book is the last stubborn pounds I think I will wait until I am closer. I was coming off an injury to my back that makes some of the exercises still off limits.

Meanwhile I pick 1-2 of the exercises to integrate into each of my workouts. It has helped to shake up my routine.

Oh. And I probably wont follow her eating plan from this book. My eating plan is a bit closer to what she outlines in MYM and I will stick to what had been working up to that point. Interesting about the vegetarianism because my one big take away is she had no support for vegetarianism. "In this diet you WILL EAT MEAT"
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205.0/188.6/130.0

Height: 5'8"

I have the book, but I am waiting to do the full program until I have had more time to increase my endurance/conditioning/fitness. Looking forward to it, though!