Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #1  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Default Disgusted by pictures of myself

I was uploading pictures from our family vacation and am now so depressed. The facts that I'm getting my period and the Sox just got swept in 3 are not helping. I've never seen myself at my all-time high. From behind. In shorts.

It reminds me of the time I had put on a little weight but was feeling OK with it, until I caught sight of myself in the mirror at step class and didn't recognize myself. I thought, wow, those pants are not doing her butt any favors..oh wait, that's my butt!

Thanks for letting me vent - on the positive side I went to the gym and did the elliptical for 40 minutes rather than digging into the ice cream.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You did a great thing! Channeling that frustration and disappointment into a workout, instead of food, is a huge deal! You are headed in the right direction and you will get there and then, you'll have some great before and after pictures!!!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #3  
One Old Jedi

S/C/G: 306/208/195

Height: 6'0"

Have had similar experiences -

Love yourself, own yourself - We have met the enemy and they are US
- pogo

My oldest daughter dug out my high school yearbook....
Before she could catch herself ... she gasped and looked at me...
"Dad, is that you?"

Somewhat ashamed dad, "yes, baby that was me.."

I am what I have made, I own it. It is me, this is what I have done...
Do I want to do something about it - Yes, I do - Here I am...

I know the image in the mirror is me, own it, love myself and
I will do something about it... story to be continued...

Looking forward to the day my daughter looks at me and says,
"Dad, you look GREAT!"

I have a dream......

The Orange One
PSP Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #4  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That is great that you didn't let get you too down and you worked out instead!! Hope things get better! Sorry about the Red Sox -- I really thought they would pull it out against the stinking Angels!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5' 5"

Good for you that you decided to head for the gym! Very proactive! I've been upset by pictures too. In fact for quite a few years I avoided having any photos taken of me at all.

Last Mother's Day my son's teacher asked that each child bring in a recent photo of the child with his mother and I realized that I did not have a single picture with me in it less than 4 years old. I was erasing myself from our family history! Now I take the pictures and plan to enjoy (although seeing them now is painful) being able to see my progress. Plus my children will know that I always enjoyed being with them no matter what my size.

Good Luck!!!
cyndyjlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Oh lordy, when we are chubby, the camera is NOT our friend! - I saw pics of me just recently (taken Saturday) and I felt grossed out. I mean ICK. But I know I'm on the road to healthy now & I will only say nice things about me. As in "I sure was having a good time that day!"

Oh, and sorry, can't help you with Sox... my hubby is a die-hard Yankee fan, so I gotta go with him on that one.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Good job on going to the gym rather than eating! If you keep that up, I'm sure you'll start to LOVE staring at pictures of yourself!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Well, one positive thing about this, is that your really awful unflattering pictures make for some awesome, dramatic before-and-after comparisons soon!

Some people do such a great job avoiding the camera at their highest weight, that they never have any good "before" shots to show how far they've come.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Yes, I'm one of the folks who always dodged the camera, and it is sad, because like cyndi said, had erased myself from the family history. Plus, I don't have any good "before" pictures.

Yet somehow, I managed to stay in denial. I thought I looked better yet knew enough to avoid having my picture taken. Maybe if I had seen pictures, I would have taken action earlier. Use those pictures to motivate yourself and eventually you will be able to add pictures of you looking your best!

And congrats on dealing with it by working out!!!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

I know excatly how you feel I have not let anyone take my picture in nearly 4 years but now I have this dilemma.... I would like to document my weight loss but I just can't do it. I won't even look in a full length mirror and I avoid looking at my reflextion in store windows. I regret to admit that I have been know to slap the camera right out of the hand that was taking my picture it has become a fobia........
whip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #11  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the support, guys. Think I have cried it all now. I've been to the gym every day since I saw those pictures and am sticking to 1200 calories/day, so at least it was good for something! Also yelled at my husband for even taking pictures showing me from behind. Hmm, maybe I should get some of him with no shirt on and that might motivate him to join me? Or is that evil?
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote