Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #1  

Default fish oil or flax help!

I am trying to forge my way through this alone. It seems like some people take fish oil, some flax. Is there a reason or is it just the difference in center's reccomendation? How many mg should I have in a day?
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #2  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
I am trying to forge my way through this alone. It seems like some people take fish oil, some flax. Is there a reason or is it just the difference in center's reccomendation? How many mg should I have in a day?
Lizzie, my understanding is that Flax seed has Omega 6 and well as Omega 3. Fish oil has Omega 3. We need a specific ratio between the two and because of the way factory farms raise and feed the plants and animals we eat, we get too much Omega 6. So I feel I want to take more Omega 3 to try to get more into the correct ratio. They are both considered EFAs (essential fatty acids) and it is recommended to take 2 1000mg or 1200mg pills at each meal.

jeanette
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Some may take flax because it's vegetarian.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

For the last couple of weeks I have been taking 1 total womans oil and 2 fish oils every meal and get a fishy burp once in awhile... Anyone else have this and anything we can do to get rid of it?
daizy hotrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #5  
Diet Diva

S/C/G: 281.5/(see ticker)/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizy hotrocks View Post
For the last couple of weeks I have been taking 1 total womans oil and 2 fish oils every meal and get a fishy burp once in awhile... Anyone else have this and anything we can do to get rid of it?
I have just recently begun to get the fishy-burps. As far as I know, there's nothing really to do about it. I try to drink more water to get rid of the taste and it helps. I also try to take them right before I eat. It seems like the food helps to "weigh down" the fishy burps.
ekidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #6  
Goddess in Training

S/C/G: 284/209/150

Height: 5'3

I was taking flax oil along with the Total Woman from MRC and they told me I didn't need to take the flax as long as I took the TW is this true?
kathyb712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidwell View Post
I have just recently begun to get the fishy-burps. As far as I know, there's nothing really to do about it. I try to drink more water to get rid of the taste and it helps. I also try to take them right before I eat. It seems like the food helps to "weigh down" the fishy burps.
I purchase my fish oil from walmart and it advertises no fishy after taste on the bottle and so far I do not burp up the "sushi" taste...It has a similar coating as the ones sold at MRC.
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Whats funny is I have been taking fish oil the whole time. I had a mix up with pills and now have been taking Total Woman on top of that and thats the same abount of time I have been having fishy burps.
daizy hotrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

I take fish oil myself that I got online and really like. It has 800 mg EPA and 400 mg DHA per serving. Called Mega EFA and is put out by Nutraceutical Sciences Institute. The website was www.vitacost.com.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I can't speak to MRC supplements specifically, but I take a Trader Joe brand of omega-3s that have some special treatment (I forget what they call it) to reduce the fishy burps. If I smell the pills in the bottle up close, it smells fishy, so I was a bit worried. But I've been using them close to a year and never any fishy burps ever. The capsules themselves seem to have a slightly sweet taste if they rest on my tongue, but no fishy taste at all. I've never tried any other brand.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #11  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

"fishy burps" really makes me giggle, not least because it's very accurate!

i take flax, MRC-6, a generic MV, and cortitrim, and i think it's the MRC-6 and cortitrim that give me bad burps. it really grosses me out and makes me want to not take them!!
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #12  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I take a high quality Omega-3 by Life Extension, 700 mg EPA / 500 DHA (Super Omega-3) with sesame lignans and olive fruit extract). This is made from WILD FISH, absolutely no mercury. I have been told that the amount suggested on bottle is like taking nothing. I have worked up to 12 capsules each day, 4 at each meal.

This video may be helpful: http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/09/...5.tpl#comments

A reference to Dr. Barry Sears (Zone diet) -- he gave 15 fishoil/day to an obese man in Mexico.. who weighed over 1100 lbs.. He lost 400 lbs in first year (down to 700)...and his lipid chem is good. He also lost almost all his hunger. Dr Sears says with high dose fish oil, it is almost impossible to have a heart attack!

Life Extension fish oil is 60% concentration (EPA+DHA)...
so when Dr Sears says 10 Grams/day, this works actually works out to 17 LEF fish oil pills/day...

I am NOT a doctor, so please check with a doctor on this! All the best with your weight loss efforts! MRC is working for me!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote