Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default Jiff's latest adventures in home maintenance

it's never pretty.

yesterday, i decided that i HAD TO find the furnace filter and change it. i haven't been able to find the blasted thing and i KNOW it needs to be changed. i haven't been able to open the furnace casing. so yesterday was the day.

i managed to open the furnace, and found the filter!!!! YAY!!!! can't get it out, but at least i found it!!!!! it's one of those that you have to wash, and i don't want to break it.

i put the casing back on and walked away - figured a better effort would be switching the clothes from summer to winter, and getting the comforter on the bed and the bedspread in the laundry and so on.

woke up this morning to a VERY VERY VERY cold house, and could NOT get the furnace on. flipped the emergency switch. checked the circuit breaker. nothing.

took the casing off again, and pushed the little button right THERE. the system revved, but didn't light. there was no pilot light. i left the casing off the furnace because ....

i called public service, and he showed up within an hour [miraculous!!!!]. he picked up the casing and put it on and the system started right up!!!! he said that the system won't operate [that little button] unless the door's on right, and i didn't have it on right!!!!!

so i put him to work doing a few other things - like fixing the dial on the oven so that the dial doesn't say 350 and the actual temperature is 425!! and re=lighting the gas fireplace [the pilot went out]. and re-setting the programmable thermostat to fahrenheit because somehow last year i managed to get Celsius displayed, and i've been doing the conversions in my head all this time!!!!!

bottom line - any candidates for JIFF's husband material - just line up, please so we can interview you!!!! qualifications: sense of humor, love of children and animals, knows how to fix things, sense of humor. etc.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Great way to start the day ! Thanks for the laughs.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for sharing, Jif--you put a smile on my face today. I'm a single girl, too, and mostly I like it just fine but I sure miss having a guy around the house when things are broken, need maintenance and stuff like that. It's a real pain having to either try to figure it out for myself or hire someone! (Sometimes the guys at work will volunteer but I don't like to ask them too often).
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I have to ask.. Did you have him show you how to get the furnace filter out?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh Jiffy.... I can dress you up but I can't take you anywhere lol

Love yah !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

Glad you all enjoyed that - and TODAY's adventure will be replacing the belt on the vacuum cleaner. but i can handle that - it involves a screwdriver and for some reason i can fix ANYTHING that involves a screwdriver!!!

and Caryesings - i'm ashamed to say that i didn't ask him how to get the filter out. i actually had it almost out already, but got scared about putting it back. and the nail breakage was getting bad.
<sigh>
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'5

Hey Jiff, I'm from Pennsylvania so I'm not THAT far away..I have a great sense of humor, I love animals, get along pretty well with kids and I can fix things....I'd offer to be your housewife, but I'm pretty sure my hubby wouldn't be happy with me moving to Jersey. :-D

Kat
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

thanks, Katarine!!! actually, i have some friends who lend me their husbands on occasion - and as long as i feed them, they're VERY happy!!!! <one actually said to his wife once 'i'm hungry - and in the mood for something good. i'm going over to Jiff's house -i'm sure there's something i can do for her, and she'll feed me or at least make me a hot mocha!'

And, believe it or not, HE'S STILL ALIVE!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Oh Jiffy, I laughed thinking about what you are going through with the furnace. I do a lot of little crappy maintenance jobs around here. Here is my old stand-bys: bungee cords and duck tape. I hit a deer with my car and just took full coverage off a month ago, so duck taped the grill and wire on the head light. My DH is mortified!!!! I don't care. It is paid for and the deer got the worst hit! We had an ice storm and the furnace was out for four days and when we finally got electricity back the furnace wouldn't work. I finally ran down a part for it and was so cold, I matched up all the wires and put it on myself. My DH came home and when he walked in he stopped and said, "Hey the furnace is on!" He friend came over that night and had to check it out to make sure I wasn't color blind! LOL!! The funniest thing was this summer DH was putting in a replacement window and came and got me because it wasn't right.......He cut the opening for a window that opens up and down and unfortunately the window that he got was a side opening window. I laughed till I cried. He fixed it and with the new siding can't even tell on the outside. Now the inside is a different story!!!! LOL!!! My DH and I went to an electronics class for adults at a vocational school and learned lots of stuff. Oh, and there were lots and lots of men there!!!!!! I'm waiting for them to offer a carpentry class, especially drywalling!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
I have to ask.. Did you have him show you how to get the furnace filter out?
or get him to change it.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote