Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Question ***Completely OT***and ready to pull out my hair!

But...I don't know where else to ask. I figured the brilliant brains here might be able to help.

I have never had fleas before and now I can't seem to get rid of the fleas on my pets! I am getting so mad about it. I have given flea baths, used topical sprays on them, flea collars and the liquid that goes down their backs/necks all at once, on TOP of bombing my house! The cats never go out and the dog only goes out to use the restroom. WTF???

They are STILL scratching!!! I JUST bombed and this stuff is supposed to be super strength and last 2 months. I had to remove myself, and them, from the house for 6 hours.

What else can I do? I have been fighting flea butt for a month now! (I finally bombed since the home sprays weren't working)

Any home remedies I can try? I am tired of spending money on treatments that aren't working. I must have spent $80-$100 already. I am really trying not to incur the cost of a vet trip, what are they going to do except hand me more treatments?!?
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Take a look at this: http://www.ehow.com/how_16644_rid-home-fleas.html

I know you are ripping your hair out!
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I feel your pain! We have to be very proactive here to keep from getting fleas in the house over the summer.

Are you using Advantage or Frontline or something else? If you're trying to use a cheaper flea control product on your pet, I would say first that you're probably going to have to purchase something stronger.

Once you do that, and bomb, which you've already done, my next suggestion is to vacuum every day, thoroughly and be sure you empty your vacuum outside afterwards. It's a pain, but it really helps.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I would def go and get Advantage or Frontline, I had a cat that I put the cheaper flea treatments on and he died. I think it harmed his liver and kidneys and even with a vet visit he did not make it. The vet told me that the only ones trusted were the two I mentioned. I bought the Black Flag spray after spending big money on other sprays and bombs and lik you I did this over a month before I decided to spend a few dollars more and get the Black Flag, that along with Advantage worked.

I don't know about in your area but here at our local pet store ..Petsmart I believe they sell Frontline...it might be worth a try calling and asking.

Good luck, I know it is a pain to deal with!

Last edited by lauralyn; 10-07-2009 at 06:35 AM.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

The vet I take my cats to, suggested using a set of clippers/hair trimmers to shave the back of the neck and then put the advantage on there, that way it's sure to get on the skin where it can work. There is also a shot they can get at the vet to keep fleas from being able to breed, I guess it makes the ones that bite them sterile. Also as stated above the cheap brand of flea treatments are horrible. They caused major irritation to my one cat.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #6  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

Before you put another flea killer on your pet, please give their bodies a little time to get rid of the ones that are already on -- they absorb the chemicals in those flea killers and it can make them very sick and even kill them if they get too much, too fast.

That said, have you treated your yard? The fleas are living out there and hiking in on the back of your pets. You'll need to treat inside and out in order to stop reinfestations. Also, wash EVERYTHING you can that they've touched/sat on/laid on (blankets, pillows, carpets, furniture, clothes, etc) with HOT water (steam cleaners followed by vaccuum when dry work well) and bleach what can be bleached.

I've heard that feeding the animals fresh garlic (chopped up in their food) will also help -- it changes the "taste" of them, and repels fleas.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Definitely go with Frontline or Advantage.

The vet I work for sells a spray called knockout, that you can use on your pets, around the house, around your doors and on screens, etc.

We recommend the Frontline or Advantage, the washing, vacuuming etc. The thing is you will need to treat the yard, and keep up with the inside cleaning for 4-6 weeks, to get all the eggs that have been laid and will hatch. I have used Sevin dust outside, you can just sprinkle it around, rather than spray.

It's a process, and takes awhile, persistence is the key. If you live in a flea prone area, you may need to apply the topical faithfully every 4 weeks, as some say you can go 6 weeks.

Be sure you get the animal appropriate topical as well. Dog for dog, cat for cat.

Around here, Frontline is a script product, you have to go to the vet to get, it is expensive, but works well. Your pets may also now be suffering from flea bite dermatitis and need some meds for that as well.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I used to be a veterinary technician and the best investment at this stage is vacuum bags. The life cycle of the flea allows them to go dormant until conditions are right to become active again (the chemicals disperse or it warms up). Also if you have successfully treated your pets, then the fleas will start biting you. You're not the preferred meal, but if they're repelled from first choice, you're it.

Start by getting your house as cold as you can stand (open windows on a night frost is expected?). Then vacuum 3 times a day until all fleas are gone. Make sure to through out the vacuum back every day outside of your house (or they'll hatch out in the bag and be back).

Finally, before you start any of this, have you seen actual fleas? Scratching doesn't always = fleas.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post

I've heard that feeding the animals fresh garlic (chopped up in their food) will also help -- it changes the "taste" of them, and repels fleas.
I'd have to ask that no one try to feed their dogs or cats garlic, since it contains a chemical(same goes for onions) that is toxic to them.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

If you are up for giving your animals bathes...Bathe them in Murphy's oil soap(you have to let it sit on them for 10 mins but it will kill the fleas) This is what we do with dogs/cats at the kennel where I work.Then I would go with advantage on all of your animals. And you have to treat your house...vacuum every you can in your house and wash all bedding sheets and towels.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #11  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

I feel your pain, I just went through this myself and its not fun at all! my Mother in law's cat has fleas and when we went on vacation she watched our cat and he came home with them, our cat is still quarantined to the basement as its only been a couple weeks since we got the infestation under control, we bombed, we sprayed, we fogged nothing worked!

finally I decided that I was going to vacuum 3 times per day, hard wood floors and carpets alike and I found a product that worked good, its called Zodiac fleatrol, its a pump spray bottle and says "Carpet & Upholstery" on the bottle you spray it on furniture/carpets etc and it kills the eggs and larvae and the vacuum takes care of the live ones because honestly the bombs and foggers did nothing! you spray this stuff on the carpets etc and leave for an hour, I did it for 3 applications 4 days apart and I haven't seen a flea in 3 weeks, I pray that the madness is done because man oh man do I feel your pain.

we washed our cat and used I believe it was advantage (its a drop that goes on his neck) we are planning to let him back into the living part of the home this week but I am still paranoid that we will get them again...

hope this helps

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Could they be suffering from allergies instead of fleas? My biggest dog has allergies and he scratches contstantly. You an buy oil supplements for them at the pet store. The supplements can help with skin issues.

If you do have fleas, I swear by Advantage on my dogs. I have 3. Also, vacuum constantly.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

They definitly DID have fleas before bombing and re-applying the meds, etc.. I watched them just fall off my dog during her bath.

As of now, I am not sure. Everytime I see her scratch - I check her instantly. I have only found 1 dead flea. I am going to shave her (she gets groomed that way anyway) to help me be able to check her more easily. She is 100% pure black so it's hard to find the buggers on her. I have been doing the vacuuming thing every day, and I treated all the areas they visit, the ones they don't, and then bombed on top of that to get the ones I couldn't reach. When she scratches it is like that immediate, intense, scratching/chewing like she just got bit again.

As for Frontline, she got them while ON IT. I don't have a yard to treat, I live in a condo, but I will treat the outside of the house as well today.

Thanks for all your help ladies! I knew the brilliant brains here would have some info.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

garlic in SMALL doses is perfectly fine for them. I know tons of raw feeders that feed garlic in small doses and it's just fine. Onions ARE far more toxic. As are raisins!

You will save money in the long run by just heading to the vet. Over the counter flea treatments can KILL your pets!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Our cure has been frontline!!! I buy it on ebay really cheap. We live in the country, on 4 cleared acres, a 2 acre weed field and woods surrounding us, 2 years ago we had fleas and ticks like you wouldn't believe! It was horrible! We tried EVERYTHING, then I finally brokedown and asked for help from the vet and she told us Frontline, and vacuuming. It was also reccomended we treat our yard, we laughed and told her that it would cost a million dollars to treat all the areas our dog wonders, because on top of our yard, we have a 500 acre family farm at our disposal.. so she roams everywhere! Anyway, the frontline did the trick, we haven't had a single flea or tick in over 2 years now.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote