Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 07:52 AM   #1  
Scotland's finest export

Default wednesday

Hi girls,
i'm all excited today because we've got our work xmas meal (just for my department, each department goes on their own). our proper office party is next week. i can't wait! today we're going to a french restaurant just near carnaby street (you've prob heard of that cos of all the austin powers films!). and hopefully we're going to go for a couple of cocktails first. yum. i've saved some points but i'm still going to try and watch what i eat. wish me luck!!! think i'll avoid the bread. hope they have some olives to nibble on.
oh, i have a problem with a coworker. she always says things about ww really loudly to me, like on a thursday if i go to meetings she always says, "oh are you off to weight watchers?" in a stage whisper so everyone can hear. and the other day i was eating my soup and she said "oh soup, is it homemade?" (she always comments on what i eat and watches me all the time, it's rather disturbing!). i said yes, and she said "is it a weight watchers recipe?" which really annoyed me. it's as though i wouldn't know what to eat unless ww told me to. and it wasn't a ww recipe, i'd made it up myself (peel and chop parsnips, carrots and chestnuts, add 2 pints vegetable stock, boil till vegetables soft then attack with blender). but she is always trying to remind me about WW and tell other people how i used to be overweight. sometimes i give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she is telling people because she is proud of what i achieved. but i don't want every tom, dick and harry to know i did it, it's a personal thing. so i think she is doing it to put me down and make herself look better. my other friends think she is jealous of me so she likes to remind herself of what i was like before. they think she sees me as some kind of threat. sorry, this is getting into a long rant! but it's crazy. i'm 27, she's 43, married with 3 kids. how can i be a threat?! yet she joined the same gym as me and is always trying to go more often than me. she always asks what classes i've gone to and if i miss a class i think she likes it! i feel like i'm in a competition i never entered. if i get new clothes she often gets something similar. whatever i eat for lunch she often gets the next day. it's crazy! i don't want to say anything to her because i think it would make things awkward but it's a bit single, white, female! i'm sure she just sees me as some kind of role model and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that. but it's weird and annoying! plus, i ain't exactly the most fashionable person around so it's embarassing to see someone wear similar outfits! oh well, i don't think there is much i can do but have fun with it. i've started wearing hoop earrings lately to see how long it would take her to get some. i'll let you know!
i have to run now, but big hello to everyone else, i'll post properly tomorrow if i'm not too hungover!
kirsty
ps jenl - look after yourself pet!

Last edited by Kirsty; 12-05-2002 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:02 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy ugh. 3 more work days left

First of all Kristy, that is just plain STRANGE. I would be a little scared too.....

ALSO....I keep saying "I want to go to England and go down Carnaby street...." but REALLY I want to go down Carnaby street in the 60's and see all the mods on the scooters (I have a Lambretta). I'm really into the Jam and The Who and old mod stuff....so I really want to visit England but I know its not going to be what I expect since it has changed since the days of mods and rockers Are there a lot of stores there that have vintage mod clothing? Jay and I are thinking of going to London for our honeymoon if we can afford it, and if so I need some info on where the good vintage shops are.

I had a horrible eating day yesterday. I don't really want to talk about it, just complain about it. But today is a new day, so I have to start over....

I am organizing a "giving tree" here at work. It is for a Mom and 4 kids ages 3-9. I put up a little tree with "ornaments" on it. The ornaments (they will be paper) have the kids' names and a girft they would like for Christmas. People take the ornament off and go buy the gift and bring it back and put it under the tree. I'm going to be putting the tree up tomorrow. I don't know how this is going to work here. I'm not sure how many people will actually participate...it's an odd crowd to feel out on that subject here.

Hope everyone has a great day, I'll be checking in!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:04 AM   #3  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Hey all.... Back is feeling better. I am limiting my Emma lifting time and that helped. Still a little sore tho. Oh and I have an infection in my finger that I refuse to go to the doctor for. No clue how I got it, just started hurting like heck. I go in next week for an OB appt., so I can have it checked out then if need be. Oh and hubby has a bug in his colon, most likely from bad food. So he had to give a sample, and if that is what it is, he has to tell the health dept. every where he ate out in the last week, since neither Emma and I are sick. Yuck!!!

OK, on to better things.

Kirsty, that women needs help. We have people like that here, but they never ever say anything about WW. Just about my eating, and if I am going to the gym and what kind of things I do there. Gets a little annoying, but I think your problem is much worse. I wouldn't give her much info and let her suffer from lack of info!!

Lori, oh the giving tree sounds nice. You'd be suprised at how some people will help out. The only suggestion I have is to give nice thank you's after the fact. I have donated to several things and am lucky to get a thank you. When I don't, it usually means I will look else where to donate. Make it enticing to help to. Pictures or bios on the people sometimes works.

I feel asleep during the Osbournes last night, so missed the ending. Oh well!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:50 AM   #4  
Eve's Mom

Kirsty - that is a bit freaky - imitation is one thing, but she sounds like she can be malicious too - yikes. She must be extremely jealous of you and your success. You'd think by that age it wouldn't be such an issue - but look at htis, my stepmother is like taht still she is about 46 or so. good luck with that, I hope it works out.....

Lori - howdy! Your giving tree idea is cool. "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstien was my favorite book as a kid - it always made me cry. I also liked Clifford the big red dog and where the wild things are. OK, enough reminicsing. My group is pretty cold that way - there are only 2 of them, but they are, well, kinda snotty. The kind of people that ONLY buy thier coffee from Starbucks. Tim Hortons is out of the question for them. Know what I mean? I brought up going to a nursing home and singing carols (not just us but with others) and they totally laughed at me. I did that last year with my other company and they seniors loved it. Most of them have no families and they are a forgotten group at xmas, as we focus on children most often. Anyway, off my soapbox.

Jen - doing the test is totally gross. I feel for your hubby. Hope you continue to improve !!

Well, better get my butt back towork. I feel totally exhausted today - I want to crawl back to bed- but I have a TON of work to do and I should really do step class at lunch....UGH.

Adios amigas!!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:59 AM   #5  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Morning, Ladies!

Well, WI was a complete disaster last night. I felt like I was not terrible over the weekend. I ate a bit over pooints, but nothing that would have caused a gain, more likely just a maintainence. Well, I get on the scale last night and was up to 187! How? Why? Is it really possible to go up over 3 lbs in a single week? Since my MIL doesn't cook, every meal was either take-out or out to dinner, so I'm wondering if some of it might be sodium. I can't blame TOM since that's still about 2 weeks away. It's just a big ole bummer, but even more reason for me to buckle down this week and be a very good girl!

Jen, I'm glad that you're making progress with your back problem...that's a miserable thing, isn't it? Good thing Emma's getting to the point where she can walk just about every time and doesn't need to be carried too much. Hope hubby feels better soon, and I hope that you don't get worn out attending to him.

Lori, I did a similar thing at work with helping out a family in need --my classes adopted a family. One class of 15 moms collected $3, and a group of 5 moms collected over $100. Very strange...I did the toy shopping, and I added on lots of our own dollars -- I just wanted these kids to feel like every other kid on Christmas morning, like it was a dream come true with all the toys they were receiving. It's a good thing that you're doing, and I hope that not only are your co-workers generous and giving, but that they appreciate your willingness to take this on. Good luck! As for the bad eating day...no guilt, move on ( Dotti is full of wisdom, isn't she?).

Kirsty, I think that this woman feels inferior to you (as she should, if her behavior concerning you is any reflection of her personality) and doesn't know how to be herself. So she is trying to be you. Not only you, but the best you. Something I have done before with psycho imitators is to comment on how they do everything like I do...in front of others. I made it sound like I was just discovering the little coincidences, but it embarrassed her into stopping. For example, I looked at her one day and was able to say,"Oh look, you got your haircut. That looks a lot like my haircut. And your sweater...I wore one just like that last week." Later came,"Oh we go to the same bar to hang out at, don't we. Did you know that my friends and I go there every Friday night? No, wait, I think you saw me there with them several times, you must have known." I acted like I wasn't making the wierd connection, but everyone around us did (this was a sorority sister of mine, who was kind of fixated on me for awhile, I'm not sure why) and many people made comments to her about it. Maybe this could work for you... But overall, since you are such a wonderful girl, I think that at least she's made a wise choice for her psychotic fixation.

BBL!
Old 12-04-2002, 11:00 AM   #6  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Hey, Belle, we were posting at the same time...I personally think that Starbucks isn't good enough for you.

BTW, anyone heard from Jess recently? I'm about to email her to make sure everything is ok, so unless someone has heard, in which case I won't bother her, I'm going to do that...
Old 12-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #7  
Proud Canadian

Things have been so slow on the board the past couple of days. It's nice to have enough time to read and post rather than one or the other. My sister is coming ovewr for dinner tonight. We are having the pasta chicken bake WW recipie. My sister is trying to be good so she won't have to worry about eating over the holidays. It's nice to have a bit of encouragement. It's funny how now she's an old married woman and I'm the swingin' single (about 2 years ago that was totally reversed) she's only 26. Should be a fun nioght though. I haven't had her to myself since before her wedding in August.
Kirsty - psyco co-worker sounds like she's jealous. It's amazing how small some people can be when they're unhappy with their lives.
Lori - I like your tree idea. I asked someone in the office if we (an office of 70 people) were going to adopt a family to do a Christmas hamper for and I was looked at like I had purple freckles. I guess we spend our money on our own Christmas party. Maybe I can find a soup kitchen to volunteer at.
Jen - glad your back is better but your finger now? Stop being hurt! Try some antibacterial cream like polysporin - it could help.
Jayne - sodium can do a lot of damage. Get on the water and flush it out. it is another day after all.
Belle - Hope your day is going well!

OK - off to work. The boss is actually in today so I might get given something to do. Yay work!
KT
Old 12-04-2002, 05:33 PM   #8  
Eve's Mom

Hi girls...not much doin' on the board, eh?

Well, I went to step class - it was HARD but I earned 7 activity points, which is good

I am pissed off b/c I brought in a framed picture my neice made me - its a cross-section of a potted plant. Its very clever. Anyway, my boss comes in adn makes a face at it. I explained to her what it was and she was like. "oh. interesting". I was like, just b/c you don't have a maternal cell in your body doesn't mean you have to turn up your nose. What a weenie. I should get my niece to make her an ornament and give it to her for xmas. God, she is not my cup of tea. I know not everyone WANTS kids, but to turn up your nose at a kids drawing is rude. And psycho.

Anyway, on to other things....

Jayne - I find if I eat out a lot I end up gaining even if I am within my points - its the sodium. Take KT's advice, I bet its gone next week!!

KT - hey girl - have fun with your sister!!

Well, back to work!! BBL
Closed Thread