Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/227/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Dealing With Nighttime Hunger

Hi all,

I have been following my plan for about two weeks now. I work out 5 times a week and keep my calories low, usually around 1500 a day. But due to this, I'm sure, I get so hungry.

My boyfriend and I go to the gym after dinner, and when we come home we watch TV or read for awhile before going to bed. That's when it hits me the hardest. I usually have an apple or some frozen yogurt with berries, but lately I've been craving something carby and starchy like bread or cake. (Cake!)

Do any of you experience this? How do you deal with it? What are your favorite nighttime snacks?
strangerthanfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

What sorta foods are you eating? I opt for low calorie, healthy foods that I can eat in high volumes so I am not getting the munchies or feeling hungry.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/227/180

That's what I try to eat as well. During the day I have a lot of lean protein like egg whites, beans, and some low-fat cheese. About 80% of my grains are whole grains, and of course, I pack on the fruits and vegetables. I think my body is just adjusting to my new lifestyle, but it can be very frustrating.
strangerthanfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #4  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

When I'm really craving carbs or crunchy things, I go for the animal crackers.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #5  

Hey! I have the same problem..I workout in the evenings after dinner and am way hungry before bed! I don't eat..not even snacks. What I do is drink a HUGE glass of ice tea & take a bubble bath or a nice shower & go to bed. It always works for me. Just think about how great you've done that day and how great you feel for exercising! You're going to be hungry in the morning whether you snack at night or not..might as well save those calories!
MandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Ever try drinking a protien smoothie?? I use Designer Whey protein. 1 scoop is 100 calories. You can mix that with some water and drink it by itself or throw it in a blender with some nonfat yogurt, rasp/strawberries..and some ground flaxseed. That combination right there is giving you a TON of protein and fiber which will both keep you full but you're not consuming a lot of calories. Which especially important for you since you'll be going to bed short after ;-)

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #7  

Frozen grapes. Or non frozen grapes. Apples. Cherries. Any kind of fruit. If I want something carby or unhealthy, I take one serving of whole wheat tortilla chips and a slice of soy cheese(lactose intolerant), chop up some tomatoes, and make a little serving of nachos. It only comes out to about 170 calories!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My favorite night time snack I save up for is a lowfat WW yogurt, (Cherry cheesecake is my favorite) 1/2 sliced banana and 100 calories worth of coco roasted almonds...in a sundae dish. around 250 calories and delicious and filling! Cures the sweet tooth, and adds a little protein to keep the munchies away. Although last night I ate a huge bowl of sliced cucumbers since I have about 500 I picked from the garden, (before the big freeze forecasted for the next few days).
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
When I'm really craving carbs or crunchy things, I go for the animal crackers.
Oh I LOVE animal crackers. And therefore that would NOT be a good option. I'd "go for them" and then keep going and going. I love them, but they don't satisfy me and I overeat them and, and - and it's just not good. Of course different things work for different people

Quote:
lately I've been craving something carby and starchy like bread or cake
Okay. Just because you're craving something, doesn't mean you have to give into that said craving. You're an adult and it's more then okay to tell yourself no. Give it some time. Let your wants, desires and cravings for "those foods" die down. They WILL die down - if you allow it to. I was shocked to find this true for myself. It was a miracle. The longer I went without those foods, the less and less I wanted them.

Quote:
Do any of you experience this? How do you deal with it? What are your favorite nighttime snacks?
Definitely make sure that throughout the day you're eating satiating foods with lots of volume. Drink lots of water too, it's a great filler - upper.

I would definitely save some calories for the night time. For me, it's a no fat yogurt, which I partially freeze (tastes ice-cream-ish & lasts longer that way) with a 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal. And then declare the kitchen closed. C - L - O - S - E - D. Closed. And then the very last thing I usually eat (drink) at the end of the evening is a hot cup of flavored tea. Satisfying. Filling. Yummy and it's my signal that the kitchen is indeed closed.

Give it some time. Remember you're trying to establish new eating behaviors and patterns. It will happen eventually and if you stick with this firmly, that'll happen sooner then you could possibly ever have imagined.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #10  

Did you ever try have dinner after the gym?
It works perfect for me
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #11  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Hi..

I make a nice cup of hot tea. It seems to have turned into a sort of ritual. I have a collection of nice tea cups and lots of different teas.

I will make it and have a green apple very thinly sliced with cinnamon on it.

I have a pretty bread plate I put my sliced apple on and a nice tray I use for it all - I think it really is about feeling like I am having a treat, it's special. all for about 70 calories.)

you will figure something out!
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #12  

I also get nighttime munchies and it's something I've never adjusted to - I've been doing this for a year and half, lost 129 pounds and I STILL get the nighttime munchies. I usually want something carby or chocolate. Either or, but definately not anything healthy.

I eat similar foods to the one's you listed - fruits and veggies, lean meats for protein, whole grains, etc. I work out at night but eat dinner afterwards and I STILL get hungry at night. Either that or I wake up at about 4:00 in the morning starving.

I've just learned to try and deal with it - go back to sleep and remind myself breakfast is not that far away. I do have the occasional slip though.
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have nonfat yogurt every evening. I count it in with my calories for the day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #14  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I eat after I walk. If I do get hungry later -- I usually just have water or maybe popcorn. Nothing too much.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #15  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykeen62 View Post
Frozen grapes. Or non frozen grapes. Apples. Cherries. Any kind of fruit. If I want something carby or unhealthy, I take one serving of whole wheat tortilla chips and a slice of soy cheese(lactose intolerant), chop up some tomatoes, and make a little serving of nachos. It only comes out to about 170 calories!
I firstly want to say I love your furry to peachykeen62! I use to rescue them, but then I went broke and had to stop. I miss it!! But yey for you So cute!!!

Secondly, I am always hungry before bed. Why? Because I get bored I think. Then I sit at the computer and I swear the computer makes me hungry. If I need something crunchy or something, I will have 10 special K crackers and I babybell light cheese on them. Its not many cals and keeps me full and snacked. Of course, I would not do this every night. Just if I am having cravings or whatever.

If you are feeling like your stomach is hurting really bad from hunger, I would trying having a larger dinner. Maybe a big salad along side of it? Add more meat into your dinner, or more veggies. Thats what I do

Good luck!
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote