Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

Default ketosis questions

Does anyone know, in general, how long it takes to get your body to the ketosis stage and how you know you're there? I did 7 days of preconditioning and now am on day 2 of the yellow menu--just curious when things "kick in". Also, did any of you get ketosis sticks to check urine--saw them mentioned on another website.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #2  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Our center has KetoStiks in the bathroom and has us use them before we weigh in each time. Although I only registered a light pink once (indicating positive ketosis) I am pretty sure I was in ketosis from day 3 or 4 onward. You may notice a slight metallic taste and feel dry mouth when you are in ketosis. I am not sure if everyone experiences this. You do not want to be too far into ketosis or you start burning lean muscle and that is not good. I think some people even go into ketosis on pre-conditioning - I guess it depends on how successfully they cut out sweets and carbs.

The real sure way of knowing is when you see the pounds going down and the Tanita measurements telling you it is fat that is going away and you are retaining your lean muscle mass and staying hydrated. Keep drinking that water! jeanette
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/169/166

Height: 5'7"

I bought ketosis sticks at Walgreens...you may have to ask for them in the pharmacy area. I've heard it may take several days for the body to register ketosis.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

During a Ketosis class we had at our center they stated that it takes approximately 72 hours on plan to get into ketosis, and if you have enough of an off plan food that kicks you out of ketosis, it will take another 72 hours on plan to get back in ketosis...
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
During a Ketosis class we had at our center they stated that it takes approximately 72 hours on plan to get into ketosis, and if you have enough of an off plan food that kicks you out of ketosis, it will take another 72 hours on plan to get back in ketosis...
That is good information. I am on day 3 of yellow diet and was feeling fatter than ever today even though I've followed to the letter and even did a zumba class today....That explains it though--probably JUST starting the ketosis. Also good information to know to help guide me away from cheating....another 72 hours back on plan to get back in ketosis...that's a lot of work!
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuselady View Post
Our center has KetoStiks in the bathroom and has us use them before we weigh in each time. Although I only registered a light pink once (indicating positive ketosis) I am pretty sure I was in ketosis from day 3 or 4 onward. You may notice a slight metallic taste and feel dry mouth when you are in ketosis. I am not sure if everyone experiences this. You do not want to be too far into ketosis or you start burning lean muscle and that is not good. I think some people even go into ketosis on pre-conditioning - I guess it depends on how successfully they cut out sweets and carbs.

The real sure way of knowing is when you see the pounds going down and the Tanita measurements telling you it is fat that is going away and you are retaining your lean muscle mass and staying hydrated. Keep drinking that water! jeanette
Nothing has been said about Ketosis at my center. I am curious about how often you all get the Tanita measurements? I was there for a month and half and had to ask to even be measured, so not sure what is the protocol for all this happening. We have mostly all young girls working at our center, and at times I just wonder if maybe they haven't trained long enough to know the procedures? Don't get me wrong, they have all been nice, but some I think are working their way thru college there. When it comes to something as serious as this program is, you want to be counseled by experience counselors. Besides, you are paying for it, so you should get the best, right?
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #7  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifties Lady View Post
Nothing has been said about Ketosis at my center. I am curious about how often you all get the Tanita measurements? I was there for a month and half and had to ask to even be measured, so not sure what is the protocol for all this happening. We have mostly all young girls working at our center, and at times I just wonder if maybe they haven't trained long enough to know the procedures? Don't get me wrong, they have all been nice, but some I think are working their way thru college there. When it comes to something as serious as this program is, you want to be counseled by experience counselors. Besides, you are paying for it, so you should get the best, right?
Fifties Lady, they did Tanita initially, at 2 weeks, at one month, two months and now at three months. They took measurements at the same time. We are a new center (Opened 11 May 2009) so all our counselors are new but we are getting a lot of clients so they are getting experienced real quickly. One is a recent University graduate in Nutrition, the others are going through or have gone through the program themselves.
jeanette

Last edited by reuselady; 10-04-2009 at 11:35 PM.
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuselady View Post
Fifties Lady, they did Tanita initially, at 2 weeks, at one month, two months and now at three months. They took measurements at the same time. We are a new center (Opened 11 May 2009) so all our counselors are new but we are getting a lot of clients so they are getting experienced real quickly. One is a recent University graduate in Nutrition, the others are going through or have gone through the program themselves.
jeanette
Well this is so very interesting! Can anyone chime in about their centers in what routine they follow? I think it was pretty lame that I even had to ask to be measured. The first time I asked, I was told the manager decides when you should be measured???? I'm thinking with all the charts, does she really have time to go through each one and flag the ones who are due for measurements? My thoughts, the counselor just didn't want to take the time with me to do it? Maybe taking measurements is a hassel? I don't know, but when I read how everyone seems to be getting measured and the Tanita readings, then I am missing a part of the program. When I finally did get measured, after requesting it, I asked about the Tanita reading and was told not till at least after 2 months, because nothing changes the first month???? Am I just being nit-picky???
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

fifties-- i ALWAYS get the tanita done, every single time. But i ask specifically for it, and made it known from the beginning that i was interested more in watching my BODY FAT percentage, and not my "weight". They had no problem doing it, and ow everytime i go in , all the ladies there know to measure my Body fat. It only takes an extra 10 seconds!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #10  

When ever I am due for Tanita or measuring there is always a sticking note left inside my folder...someone is doing their job!
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #11  

Quote:
Well this is so very interesting! Can anyone chime in about their centers in what routine they follow? I think it was pretty lame that I even had to ask to be measured. The first time I asked, I was told the manager decides when you should be measured???? I'm thinking with all the charts, does she really have time to go through each one and flag the ones who are due for measurements? My thoughts, the counselor just didn't want to take the time with me to do it? Maybe taking measurements is a hassel? I don't know, but when I read how everyone seems to be getting measured and the Tanita readings, then I am missing a part of the program. When I finally did get measured, after requesting it, I asked about the Tanita reading and was told not till at least after 2 months, because nothing changes the first month???? Am I just being nit-picky???

FL, I am experiencing the same thing! I had to be asked to be measured and I figured they would do the TANITA scale the same day since when I signed up they said I would be measured and weighed using the TANITA after being OP for a month. I agree that the counselors seem young and honestly I haven’t had a great experience with any of them, I feel like they are looking down upon me. Maybe it’s because they are more my age?!?!? I have been debating about asking to set up an appointment to meet with Robin; I need some extra motivation and help and would like to talk to her about how I am feeling with the center. I start the connection classes next week and am SUPER excited! I really need to get back on plan and hope this class gets me there.
Darn Baby Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #12  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
FL-you are not by any stretch being nit-picky. Mine was done after two weeks, done at four weeks, then done monthly at least. Both the tanita and measurements. I think the comment that nothing changes is as lame as it can be. I don't remember what the exact changes were in mine, but it was enough to make me take a double take. Just tell them that you want it done. The counselors at my center always write it on my chart when to do it so if I see a different one, they know to do it.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Hey, Fifties Lady--
I was told that you get it done when you sign up, then at 2 weeks then 4 weeks and monthly after that (the measurements follow the same as the Tanita readings).
Sorry it's been so crazy! Somebody definitely dropped the ball at your center...you're not imagining it. Since you went 6 wks w/out getting measured, I bet you saw some crazy inch loss, though! Sounds like you need to call the shots more b/c they aren't going to be on top of things (I mean gentle reminders, etc). Good luck!
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
When ever I am due for Tanita or measuring there is always a sticking note left inside my folder...someone is doing their job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darn Baby Weight View Post
FL, I am experiencing the same thing! I had to be asked to be measured and I figured they would do the TANITA scale the same day since when I signed up they said I would be measured and weighed using the TANITA after being OP for a month. I agree that the counselors seem young and honestly I haven’t had a great experience with any of them, I feel like they are looking down upon me. Maybe it’s because they are more my age?!?!? I have been debating about asking to set up an appointment to meet with Robin; I need some extra motivation and help and would like to talk to her about how I am feeling with the center. I start the connection classes next week and am SUPER excited! I really need to get back on plan and hope this class gets me there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaG View Post
FL-you are not by any stretch being nit-picky. Mine was done after two weeks, done at four weeks, then done monthly at least. Both the tanita and measurements. I think the comment that nothing changes is as lame as it can be. I don't remember what the exact changes were in mine, but it was enough to make me take a double take. Just tell them that you want it done. The counselors at my center always write it on my chart when to do it so if I see a different one, they know to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl View Post
Hey, Fifties Lady--
I was told that you get it done when you sign up, then at 2 weeks then 4 weeks and monthly after that (the measurements follow the same as the Tanita readings).
Sorry it's been so crazy! Somebody definitely dropped the ball at your center...you're not imagining it. Since you went 6 wks w/out getting measured, I bet you saw some crazy inch loss, though! Sounds like you need to call the shots more b/c they aren't going to be on top of things (I mean gentle reminders, etc). Good luck!
I want to thank you all for responding....I must say, I'm just a little teed off right now. I feel like I have been let down by my center for telling me different things when I ask. The only thing is, if I complain, then I'm sure it goes into my chart and then I probably won't have too many friendly counselors to visit with. I guess instead of asking next time to be measured or for the Tanita read out, I will just request it. Still, I'm not happy with them for dropping the ball. When I think how they called me weekly when I didn't join the first time I went in to get me to join, and now I get this!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #15  
WANNABTHINAGAIN

S/C/G: 207/178/167

Quote:
What center do you go to in Nebraska? I go to the one in Omaha and they have done measurements 2x Tanita 3x and it's only week 5 for me. Hope they figure this out and take care of you!
wannabthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote