Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #1  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ...October

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Happy month of October Everyone

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-02-2009 at 02:02 PM.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #2  
MSer living healthy

Good Afternoon

Wow has the month of October come already I can't believe how quickly this year has gone. It is a beautiful sunny autumnal day which is wonderful for those little walk in comfort. Talking of walks I had a really nice walk last night quite late but great all the same. Expected to see one or two foxes but they must have been tucked up in bed

Just at the minute we have the council plumber here as we have a small leak on the hallway radiator. Did not see it till one morning the carpet had a slightly darker patch near it ever so small at the base of the piping. I felt it and it was damp on the floor. Good job our carpet is a plain colour otherwise a patterned one you would have not have spotted it. It has took a little while for the man to fix it but he got there in the end. The radiator was not playing ball as we say and the pressure was high despite no heating or water being on at the time.

ROSEBUD Good news about your health check and most things tested are in a good range. It shows that your healthy eating has had an impact on your health. Keep up the good work I am proud of you and your achievements

If you feel surgery is not for you (it would not be for me either as I could not live with the restrictions afterwards) you stick to your guns. It will be a good motivator to keep up with the healthy eating and fine tuning along the way the way you eat. I think we are constantly are on a learning curve and can always learn something new. Recipes on here on the different threads such as weight watcher, south beach can give you inspiration for different recipes. You can tweak them as you have the ability with being a competent cook with ingredients you may or may not have. I do this more with the fact I can't get a named ingredient so get something similar. Any recipes we both enjoy I keep as one of my healthy eating repertoire. So it is expanding gradually with recipes I would have never have thought of.

No further news for today ladies so I hope you are all well and so until next time take care

purpleorc

Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thumbs up

Thanks so much, PURPLE ~ for starting our October thread ... really appreciate that! Forgot we had to go up town again early this AM to pick up the things we couldn't get yesterday, as by the time we got out of the doctors and got my precriptions, we didn't get home til after 6 pm when all the stores were closed ...

I sent a request to RUTHxxx to put this month's thread up as a red sticky at the top of the page for us ... I'm sure she'll do that when she comes by our way again (in this forum).

TIme to go put my feet up for a bit; got lots of walking in today. Will come back after to do a recap of our day. ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 301/280/199

Happy October, Ladies-

We're having a rainy day here in Arkansas. Yesterday was beautiful, so I put the top down on my car and rode around town enjoying the cooler temps. If I can, I'll put a picture up of my little car. It is nothing fancy; it's a PT Cruiser. Lucky for me, all my nerve damage and tissue loss is on the left side so I can still drive.

I have read all the shares and I'm happy to know that everyone is doing well. Glad you spotted the wet carpet before it got really bad, Purple. My washer is in the kitchen, and not long ago I went to get the clothes out and discovered my floor had at least an inch or more of water everywhere! I was afraid the washer would need to be replaced, but it was only the hose that drains the machine.

Rosebud- my younger sister had weight loss surgery last year around this time. She has lost at least 100 lbs in the year. She is now off all her medicines. Lucky for her, she had the money to get it done. My insurance will not pay for that kind of surgery. So I'm doing it the old fashioned way. But you know what? My sister will need plastic surgery as she lost the weight so fast she has "elephant skin." And she will probably get that done. As I said, she has money that I don't have.

I'm not sure I'd get it done, even if I had the money. It is a big decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.

I have started writing down everything that goes into my mouth! Then I find the calorie count and put that down, too. I started doing that because sometimes I can get into mindless eating and eat more than I should.

Ronnie- I hope you are enjoying the ball games. I always enjoyed a Friday night game when I was teaching! First football, then basketball, then baseball! Lots of good memories!

Spicy
SpicyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #5  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ I'm back ... we had a fish for dinner; I had mine with a veggies stir-fry with 1/2 cup brown rice mixed in and that was very nice; DH had some baked fries & gravy with his fish. For things like this, I make us what each one likes; but the rest of the time, I make us the same thing. He's good in that he will eat pretty well whatever I put in front of him.

HI SPICEY ~ I'm glad that the WLS went well for your sister; she's braver than me. I ran into a lady yesterday who said that her sister is going to have WLS in October; and I really hope it goes well for her too ... I admit that I am terribly skiddish about the whole idea ... I have issues from childhood and don't really trust surgeons/doctors that much.

As I was telling someone else, I didn't ask for a referral, my doctor did that on his own. I was a bit miffed about it becuz I only agreed to investigate it and think about it; and I really don't want to waste $$$ and other people's precious time when I am not really interested. Like you, I want to try to get things under control on my own; even if it takes me a bit longer.

The doctor also wants me to take cholesterol pills (these ones are by Crestor; something call rosuvastatin calcium pills) as he says my LDL should be 2.0 or under (my tests said they were 2.63 which was under 3.0: the number preferred for healthy persons). My research says that if you have other health risks, the numbers should be 2.0 or under. My doctor said that he was impressed that my numbers were so good without taking meds; and I wasn't following a diet for that either. Tonight, I went to some health sites and got some tips on how to modify our choices, as I would rather do that than take these meds all the time.

PURPLE ~ I am the type that prefers not to take meds unless I really need them; but the water pills are helping my legs quite a bit to keep the swelling down. They are not as painful as before either; so they are helping and I am taking vitamins already as well. The changes in our eating style does seem to be helping us too. I am hoping in time that I will be able to go off all meds as well; so I am trying to see how I can improve my plan as much as possible. Did a lot of reading the last while ...

We have unusually cold weather here right now; hopefully this won't last. We had to put on our heat as the temps fell down to 63 F in here, and with the dampness, it feels even colder than that. We managed to keep it off until September 30 anyways, so that's not bad. I think DH put it on one or twice the last few days in the early hours (6 am) to take the chill out of the air, but that's not too bad really.

You both have had the same mishaps as us -- my washer was leaking, and it turned out to be a hose inside the machine (the water circulating hose); and in our last place we lived, one of the heater valves burst and we ended up with quite a bit of water on our rug (ruining about a dozen boxes we had packed). Thank goodness, we had a rug cleaner that we used to suck up the water quite quickly so it could dry. We don't have those kind of rads or heaters here.

Well, we've had a busy day here; I washed DH's winter jackets for him and one needs some hand mending on the collar. The washer was kinda hard on it ... I will likely do some more mending and laundry tomorrow as well. I picked up a bag of very pretty wildflower bulbs for our gardens to give them a bit more variety; they were on for a clearance price and I got a good deal.

HOpe you all have A FABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow; gee, can't believe another week has past so fast. Take good care ladies ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-01-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Good Evening Ladies

Today has been a very cold day even to the point we had to put the central heating on for the first time in months. We had a short sharp shower of rain late morning but nothing since but it has remained very overcast. We went out very briefly to pick up my prescription from the doctors and drop it into the pharmacy. This afternoon I spent a good while dispensing into my daily strips which comes in morning , dinner, tea and night. I do this to avoid me double taking my drugs which I use to do in the past as I couldn't recall taking them. Or I would not take them as I wasn't sure whether I had taken them. Not to mention forgetting to take them at all Now it is much easier for me now I use this method for taking my medication.

Today we had some loin of pork chops for dinner with some of the rice left over from dinner. For tea I had a chicken sandwich which was rather nice. I have prepared my dinner for tomorrow which is going to be steamed vegetables with a joint of loin of pork. I am using up what I have in the freezer so I am not having the variety of meats and vegetarian meals as normally I would. Not be too long before I start stocking up my freezer again so more variety then.

SPICY It is good that you are still able to drive your car. It is amazing though what adaptions can be made though to vehicles if you have impairments. Someone I know has had their vehicle changed so there is no foot controls.

I can sympathize with you on the washing machine and the water. Many years back DH and I went out and found out on our return the washing machine seal (around the door) had broke. It was like a paddling pool in the kitchen and took for ever to mop up. Good job your repair was not too costly as it is always a worry with big appliances the cost of repairs.

I am not against people having WLS if they feel it is the right path for them then I admire their fortitude to make this life changing decision. I just knew it was not the right path for me. I have lost some considerable amount of weight but did it slowly at 1lb to 2lbs at a time I do have some loose skin as I expected to with my weight loss journey. Though I must admit I thought it would be far worse than I have got. I can live with the loose skin I have as it can be hidden under clothing. Like Rosebud I am wary of surgeons so even if I could afford the surgery for a tummy tuck I am not sure I would take it unless I had medical issues like infection. I know we have a free health system here in the UK but that is for necessary surgery and that is not deemed as that to have a tummy tuck. You would only get a tummy tuck on the health service if you had infection or it was effecting your mental health.

Good idea to document what you eat it sure does flag up and make you aware of everything you eat. At the beginning I did that for months and months until I think I got into a regular routine that became second nature. Keep up the good work you are doing well and it showing already with the fact you can't eat the portions you once did. Or foods you would eat now seem to make you ill due to there high sugar content or fat.

ROSEBUD My pleasure to start the thread not that I remember as much as you do. I was amazed that I remembered it was the first of October

It is good that your DH will eat pretty much what you are eating make it easier for you. Not so bad if it is maybe once a week that you make a little bit different for DH with a food he lovely but it more off the menu for us. I know he is slender like my sister and weight has never been an issue.

Like you I know it is going to take longer to get to my weight but I know in my heart of hearts it is the right thing for me. You seem to be making big strides in recent months I hope it will soon pay dividends for you as you deserve it. Reading all the literature is good and helps you make plans on how to move forward if things are not working. I read realms at the begin of my journey and still will read a bit now if I need to tweak something.

I would choose not to take tablets like yourself but sometimes your physical health deems it necessary. It maybe comforting to know that it maybe a possibility in the future that tablets maybe reduced or stopped all together with weight loss. I knew that was never going to happen with mine as they are all pain killers for my trigeminal neuralgia at the beginning of my weight loss journey. Since then I have had to add in an ulcer healing drug and laxative

Like you we have managed to keep our heating off until today but I think that is really good as often it comes on earlier. Forgot to put my electric blanket on last night so was chilly to get into bed too. I find it much better at getting me off to sleep quickly when I am warm like that plus helps with pains you get with MS. I response quite well to heat therapy so often use a wheat bag that you pop in the microwave for a short period of time.

No further news today and it is getting rather late evening here now time soon for my night time medication. So till next time take care

purpleorc

Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a good day today; still cold and dreary here, but a tad bit warmer than the last few days. Paid some bills today, and decided to make a trip up town again today for those things that we couldn't get to yesterday. There were road blocks and detours all over the place, due to badly-needed road repairs, so can't complain really. We did finally manage to find a way around them after a few tries. Things should be back to normal within the next couple of weeks, we think.

HEY PURPLE ~ I think the cold weather has come to us all in many places -- here, the US, and England. Some say that this will pass, and we'll get some lovely days again sometimes this month. I sure hope that they are right. I have a few things to use up too; I found a big ham in my freezer that I will likely make on our Thanksgiving which is coming up soon.

Yes, I am trying to make some improvements in my plan to see if they help; I know that I am feeling a bit better the last week or so with less water-weight bothering me. I am trying to get in a bit of walking every day; and I always get some in each day -- just some days are more and some days less. I do my toning and stretchie band work, and chair aerobics every day; and have been doing that for a very long time. I can really tell that I am losing inches off my abdomen as my clothes are looser there too -- that is a NSV that I will gladly take! DH told me yesterday that he has noticed it too; so that was nice.

Kept OP really well today (credit moi) and got some more walking in today (kudos for that) as well! I had leftover rice pilaf (with veggies) and put a sliced omelette on top for my protein for lunch. For dinner, I had a chicken burger (no bun) with a salad and half a cob of corn.

Well, not much else going on here; time to go put my feet up and rest for a while as it's getting late. I have been doing a lot more research (reading) on here tonight, but will rest that for the weekend and enjoy myself for awhile now. Take good care of yourselves, and have a great weekend too ... ROSEBUD
Old 10-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #8  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Today started off sunny but ended up cloudy with rain seeming to be threatening in the horizon. It today though has been so windy with gusts of winds up to 35 ~ 40 miles per hour. It made standing upright difficult at times so I looked like I was drunk again and in charge of a walking stick

Today was farmers market gosh that has come round quickly doesn't seem 4 weeks away since the last visit there. We were at the bread/cake stall paying for our goods when an almighty gust of wind came raising the stall off of the ground with all the produce on. It had also dislodged a small piece of the metal frame work at the top. So we all rallied round to help the two stall holders. Firstly taking the covering off the stall so the wind could not get underneath it to lift it up. My DH tried to put the piece of framed work that had come dislodged but just wasn't quite tall enough. Fortunately a gentleman who was like 6ft 6" came to the rescue easily putting the framework in the stall together again. So that was my bit of excitement for the day

ROSEBUD Firstly let me congratulate you on your NSV all the little bursts of exercise have certainly paid dividends. NSV are just as important as those of the scales it has been clinically proven that muscle is heavier than fat. I love NSV as much as victories on the scales they are another measurement on how we are fairing with our healthier living style.

Today I was up with the larks for some unknown reason I woke up really early and couldn't sleep so have been up since 7am. Wouldn't mind but went to bed late at 1am so tonight I will be big time and needing matchsticks for my eyes Typical when I have to be up really early I struggle big time and like today I can get up really easy when I have nothing pending as such.

With being up so early I took a shower and washed my hair prior to going to market. Just before departing I put our loin of pork joint in the oven on a low temperature in the oven to cook really slowly. (should have done it in the slow cooker but never think to do that.) I must admit we really enjoyed our dinner and it was beautifully tender the pork it just melted in the mouth.
I have made another identical dinner for another day as there was plenty plus a nice portion for our Rizzie.

Well done for keeping on plan with your varied menu praise needed for eating well and having a vegetarian meal as well. Eggs are versatile and can be made into various things. Omelettes is a great one as there are many things that you may put into them to jazz them up a bit.

Glad the diuretics (water tablets ) have given you some relief and you are feeling some benefit. If it reduces any pain that is a bonus too that you might experience in your leg/feet. Also another bonus is that you might be able to do a little more walking (not talking great leaps) but if you can get in a little extra per day on your good days they all add up.

I am wondering how your ulcers on your legs are fairing now the more aggressive treatment has been commenced? I hope you can see some slight improvement as I know things take time. I was always pleased to see in the ulcer the slight change in the appearance especially in the centre of the ulceration itself. We liked to see what was known in the trade granulation this is a posh word which means that you can see cells that are starting to heal. I never really knew what I was looking for in the infancy of a wound healing until I had training and also just years of experience tells you.

Nothing else much going on here today just going to sit and watch strictly come dancing ( UK version of dancing with the stars) which I like to watch. So till next time take care

purpleorc

Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #9  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ just had a relaxing type day at home, as it was cold and blah out. Did some laundry in the am; and then research on the net in the afternoon, but did get some of my toning and stretchie band work in as well. Had another good OP day, and ate well ... yeah!

DH was watching his movies tonight while I was doing my thing. Looks like we won't be getting any sun until next Wednesday; gee, sure hope they are wrong about that ...

HI PURPLE ~ well, my leg seems to be a bit better; and I do see that granulation that you talk about -- sure hope that's a sign that it is getting better: thanks for the tip. I sure wish it would finally close-up. My legs overall look better since I have been taking Vitamin A and E daily and Fish Oil bi-daily; hope they continue to get better. The tegaderm pads tend to make the skin around the ulcer peal, so today I just used a regular pad and it looks a bit better.

Yes, I said that to DH as well -- that with the swelling down, I can do a bit more walking each day which is another side benefit of taking them for now. Walking is good for the circulation in my legs as well, and that could help them immensely. Just as long as I do not overdo it, that should help, I think.

Well, not much else going on around here; DH has hit the hay early (ya, he says that he's an old goat). He's one of those 'early 2 bed; early 2 rise' kind of people; but I go a bit later and get up a bit later too, but not that much. I like to stay up a bit later on the weekends, but usually fall asleep around 12 or 1 AM most nights.

Well, I hope you all have a SUPERBY BLESSED AND RESTFUL SUNDAY tomorrow -- and take good care of each other ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-04-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #10  
MSer living healthy

Good Evening Ladies

Been a mixed bag here weather wise but on a positive note the high winds of yesterday have sure died down nicely. Just returned from a lovely evening walk with DH and our beloved Rizzie. It was a beautiful evening but no foxes made an appearance maybe a shade to early for them to be out and about.

Had the last of the pork today and tomorrow will be a vegetarian fayre for dinner I think of pasta in tomato sauce and a vegetarian burger. For tea I think it maybe an omelette for DH and a slice of toast and peanut butter for me. Do need to pop out tomorrow though for some milk , bananas and yoghurt as we are low on all those things.

Up again early this morning so I am really am flagging. Goodness knows why I can't sleep the past two mornings. You can guarantee come Tuesday when I have to be up early I will really struggle big time.

ROSEBUD
Ulcerations take a very long time to heal but the positive thing is you are seeing the first stages of the healing process. It will heal up eventually but they can take many many months for the ulceration to be gone. Don't give up heart there is light at the end of the tunnel. You are doing the right things by giving it the best chance of healing with taking extra vitamins, having diuretics (water tablets) , the course of antibiotics to clear any infection lurking about. Unfortunately many of the dressings for ulcerations can have the side effect you talk about of peeling skin. Not sure why this happens though so can't give you a medical reason for this.

My routine tends to be at night of one of an night owl I tend to go to bed reasonably late as I have to wait for my medication to take effect. Not that I take sleeping tablets but ones that take away pain. Once my pain is under better control I sleep very well. I tend to go to bed most nights from midnight to 1am. Though on Monday night I will go as early as 10.30pm to get as much sleep as possible for the early start and busy day a head. DH goes to bed frequently later than me but he is always up before me. He reminds me of how I use to be I functioned well on about 5 or 6 hours sleep at most every night. Though those days are long gone I am afraid you can double the amount of sleep more or less I want now

Nothing much going on in my part of the world been having a relaxing weekend. So till next time take care ladies

purpleorc
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 301/280/199

Good evening, Chickies!

It's been a cool, rainy day here in Arkansas, USA. Good day to stay in with a book and just take it easy--- which is what I did. I love to read as I think I've said before. This book is by James Patterson. I have a couple more chapters to read before it's finished. Been very good so far.

Rosebud- I was happy to hear your swelling is down. Walking is so good and most of us take it for granted. I bought this little exercise devise called "Sit and Stroll" and I use it at least twice a day for 15 minutes each time. I also have some 2# weights I try to use to keep my strength in my arms. I am not as faithful with that as I am with the Sit and Stroll. No idea why!

Purple- I have only seen a fox once in the wilds. It was there and gone so quickly I had to ask if I had actually seen it! People around me assured me I had.

I made a big pot of veggie soup Friday evening and have eaten that all weekend. I did add a slice of 7 grain toast and some fresh tomatoes at lunch both yesterday and today. Tonight I had my favorite--- pasta! But in a measured portion. Stayed within my calorie allotment both days, and can even have my late evening "snack" tonight.

I keep Special K meal bars on hand. They are high in protein and have about 170 calories. With a cup of tea or a glass of water, I find they keep me balanced-feeling and full for quite some time.

Hope all of you are having a good evening, and I'll be waiting to read your shares.

spicy
SpicyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #12  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had another overcast day here, but I don't think it rained; it was a bit warmer and was very comfortable to go for a nice stroll this evening after dinner. We went a bit further tonight; and I really pushed myself, but by the time we got back, my right knee was just starting to complain.

HI PURPLE ~ I think what the tegaderm pads do is block the air a bit, so the skin starts to peel, but that makes it sting a bit too; and the skin does take on a granulated appearance as well. I soaked it tonight and let it air a bit then put a regular gauze pad on tonight for awhile. Sometimes, it stings a bit and sometimes it doesn't; not sure what causes that really.

I was reading how you like to have veggies burgers; how do you like those? Do you make your own or do you buy them? I have never tried them myself; I guess I am worried that we won't like them, then I will have wasted a lot of money just to try them. We do love the chicken burgers we found though; and they are much lower in calories and fat than the beef ones. I was so pleasantly surprised how good the chicken ones are that maybe I should try the veggie burgers too sometime.

HI SPICY ~ I like to make big pots of soup for lunch myself; sometimes I put some in containers in the freezer too. We have always liked to have soup for lunch; it's light and yummy. I have never tried the Special K protein bars; haven't even seen them here. I should keep an eye open for them. Sometimes, if we are out, I will grab a protein bar to hold me over to my next meal or snack. We found one nice here at a local department store and DH and I split so that it is only about 130 calories each; fitting into my plan perfectly (I can't remember the name of it right now: will have to hunt down the wrapper -- I think there is one in our car yet.

We are just having a relaxing day today. I had a mushroom omelette for my lunch; and we had a big chicken with lots and lots of veggies for dinner tonight. I sorted out my freezer to see what I have in there, and found one that needed to get into the pot pronto ... Our kitchen light doesn't work anymore, so we had our dinner with ambiant lighting!

Well, after our evening walk, my legs are a bit sore; time to rest them a bit and maybe read awhile. Hope you all have a Marvellous Monday tomorrow; and take good care ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-04-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #13  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies and good evening.

It was very cloudy this morning here in my part of the world. Though this afternoon was glorious so made the most of it and washed the laundry. That reminds me must go and fetch it in otherwise it will be dark. Less than 2 hours it is dark here in the UK I suspect it maybe darker earlier for those of you whom live in Canada or USA.

I have just made the sandwiches for tomorrow plus put in a low fat in actual fact I think it is zero fat yoghurt to take with us tomorrow. I make it today as mornings as you know for me are a go slow. So making sandwiches etc then prior to going is not advisable. To be honest I would more than likely miss something out of the lunch box with being a dizzy so and so that early.

On Wednesday of this week we are having repairs made to our kitchen namely the sink unit and worktop. Nothing fancy or anything like but better than I have at present. The worktop is a danger it just sitting on the rest of the kitchen unit. I feel sure that if I do not get it sorted I would lose my balance in the kitchen grab the worktop to try and steady myself then the worktop to come crashing on me. Has we all know worktops are not light even though ours is probably one of the lightest materials being something called MDF which is short for Medium-density fibreboard can see why they shorten the name as it is a mouthful. The council are not responsible for putting in the kitchen that is installed at present it was put in privately prior to us taking the property. To be honest I think it was bodge it and scarper who put it in as there is so much wrong with it. The only thing I really like is what I refer to as the larder cupboard. It has two vents in there which are on the outside of the house in there. You can have the vents open or shut. In the winter on cold days it is like have an extra fridge so food can sit in there for a short time cooling down. In the summer it is somewhere to put food free from the horrid flies. It is a large cupboard that goes from the ceiling to the floor so that gives you some idea how big it is. One thing I thought today is I must put some water in jugs so that I may make drinks for our workers and ourselves as I know the water is going to be shut off whilst a kitchen sink unit is installed.

I watched a programme last week again one from the BBC so good quality. It was on two nights running and it was a documentary following two soldiers in hospital and a rehabilitation unit whom had multiple amputations. This was due to stepping or picking on a land mind device in Iraq. I mention this programme as these lads are now profoundly disabled at the age of 19 and 23 respectively. It showed them coming to terms with their acquired disability with such fortitude and courage. One lad had a triple amputation of both his legs and arm. The other lad was both legs and impaired vision. It made me stop and think of my own attitude on the days when I feel sorry for myself. Not that I have them very often but I think we all have our down days. Normally I am positive and have a positive outlook on life. I have from very early on in the diagnosis for myself though it was coming to terms more with the fact I could no longer be a nurse far more than the MS. Though these soldiers were much stronger mentally than many people I am not saying they were perfect as that person does not exist. It was a matter of coming to terms with how life was going to be and seeing they did have a future and life was worth living. Though the way these young men dealt with their acquired challenges made me think I have a lot to be thankful for and that in comparison the things that get me down on my bad days are actually nothing compared to them.

SPICY I think the author James Patterson is one my SIL reads as she likes detective books since her daughter introduced her to the world of detective stories. She now has an insatiable appetite for these books and reads very avidly mind you so does her daughter and one of her sons. The other son is more into computers and technical things. He can take a computer to pieces and put it together again. Plus not have any bits left over when the job is finished. He can do many in-depth things on the computer and trained in IT. Though now works at his Uncle's my DH brother as their web designer and technical advisor. Since working there he seems much happier and settled with life.

Yeah for staying on plan and in your calorie allotment for the day That is great work keep up the good work. Soups are great fillers not to mention a good way to get a good portion of vegetables. There are so many types of soups you can make and I love to make soup as they are easy to do.

Our foxes are what you would deem urban foxes and if you go out at the right time of the evening you can see them crossing the roads. One time when I had my niece staying with us she wanted to see them so we were fox hunting Thankfully on our second night a the foxes were making noises that sound like cats fighting. We headed to the sound to be confronted in front of us 7 or 8 foxes dotted around the patch of grass. I think a female must have been in season and the male foxes where all wanting her attention. Plus the males trying to chase off the other males. It was an amazing sight which I have never seen again in all the nine years i have lived here. We have only seen it that once but I was so glad that my niece who was a young teenager got to see what she desperately wanted to.

ROSEBUD I think your reasoning behind why the tegaderm dressing make the skin peel is a good though and very likely to be right. It is a good idea of yours to let the air get to the area for short periods of time maybe whilst resting so no chance of knocking the ulceration. It maybe what the skin needs in between dressings.

I cheat when it comes to veggie burgers and I buy bought ones. We like the ones particularly by the company grassingtons they do two that I know of one is just a quarter pounder veggie burger and the second is a spicy bean burger. I can understand your reluctance to buying one to find that maybe you do not like them. Have any of your friends tried them so that they may suggest a brand that is good in Canada. Failing that ask on the vegetarian board there maybe even a recipe they could suggest to make it cheaper. I know that you can make a lentil burger not that I have tried it or have the recipe for that one. I am sure that there are many other vegetarian burgers that can be made that are taste which make you feel that you are not missing out on anything.

Talking of vegetarian burgers the same company also do something that is very nice in a burger bap or on without bread with a nice salad is a cauliflower cheese burger. They do a low fat range which pans in around 157 per burger (grill really they are called) if my memory serves me correct. These are lovely and good cos they are low calorie. I also like a product made from quorn and it is a southern style burger which is with a crunchy breadcrumb coating, seasoned with black pepper. These are low calorie at around 120 per burger I like these the best but with the ulcer I have given them a miss for a long time. I think now is the time for me to have one again for a meal sometime very soon Quorn do a whole range of vegetarian products not that I like all of them. One I dislike is one of their sausages but that was because it was not seasoned enough for me. I like a sausage seasoned with a herb called sage and that is quite a pungent herb.

Talk of freezers and you sorting yours out I need to defrost one of mine. One is self defrosting the other isn't. I hate defrosting it so leave it till the last minute normally. With me using for the past few months what I have in my freezer I am now starting to see gaps in the draws and shelves. So I will fill these gaps with paper to make the freezer work more efficiently until I stock up again. Not long before I do that again now that I have nearly used all the meat up that I had frozen.

No further news I will try and get on tomorrow some time (and energy the treatment side effect is tiredness on the first day) if I can. So till next time take care all

purpleorc

Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #14  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ Well, it seems that the cloudy days are still with us; it rained on and off, but held off so that DH and I could go for our stroll after dinner tonight too. We took NIKO with us tonight to see how he would be after dark here; he was pretty good. He still likes to pull on that lead though; but by the time we got home, he had just settled right down. I liked taking him with us, but he seems to think he has to pull us all the way!

HI PURPLE ~ well, going back to the regular gauze pads seems to be helping my leg ulcer a lot; I'm glad now that I made that decision. I won't be seeing my doctor for about 3 weeks and will tell him then what has been happening. I'm glad for you that you are getting some much-needed repairs done in your kitchen, even if it causes some upset of your daily routine, but it is worth it in the end. The landlord came by early this AM and he & DH put in a newer, even more energy-efficient light in our kitchen: it's nice & bright in here now.

That show about the injured soldiers sounded very gripping and intestesting too. They are indeed very brave and courageous young men; real heroes for sure, I think. What an inspiration they will be to all that see that show and/or get the pleasure of meeting them.

There are so many types of burgers available now, it is amazing; I am going to look for some bison ones too as they are supposed to be very lean. I have seen that they even have salmon and tuna burgers: how amazing. Maybe we'll just get brave and try them all at least once to see if we like them or not. If not, we could just give them to MIKEY ... that refers to your little brother who will eat anything ... in this case, that would be NIKO, who would love anything like that, no doubt.

Out where our camper is, we often see foxes running around; and we have seen some bears this year too. Lately, they have disappeared; probably becuz of all the hunters around in the fall. They will likely be very skiddish and go deep into their dens for awhile; don't blame them really ...

We had our leftover roast chicken and roasted veggies for dinner tonight; I even had some leftover veggies and broth to put away for soup too. I kept on plan really well today; and as I mentioned earlier, we went for an evening walk plus I did my usual, stretchie-band and toning work too. Did a few loads of laundry today as I changed the bed linens as well.

Well, it's time to put my legs up to rest for a while; I'm off to get my teethe cleaned at the dentist tomorrow. Take good care ladies, and please do have A TERRIFIC TUESDAY ... ROSEBUD
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #15  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I have a small window of time to come and make an entry on here today which I am really pleased about. Woke up this morning with the aid of the alarm and struggled to get out of bed . Outside wasn't very inviting either with it absolutely bucketing down even our poor Rizzie was none to keen on poking his nose outside to say the least. Normally he wants to go out in the morning and is as keen as mustard spending ages outside in our garden. Though the days it is raining like this morning he is in at break neck speed. The talk about crafty he as devised his own way of getting wet the least possible amount. How? Well we have large over hang from the eaves of the house so that you can go outside virtually without getting wet providing you stay very close to the bungalow. It did not take him long to discover how to stay dry in wet weather. Animals are very clever at solving problems it fascinates me.

Just returned from my treatment at the ms centre so somewhat worn out though nice to speak to others in the same boat as you. Not that we speak constantly about our problems with MS but it is comforting knowing someone who fully understands what it is like. I do not see a lot of people in the week of my own age group so it is nice to have a chin-wag with someone else of that age. I love the elderly people I meet playing cards they have much wisdom to impart though are not up to date with the technology we are. Not that I am so au fait with a computer as say the younger generations who were given education at school. I on the other hand I did not touch a computer until my early 30''s so am streets behind their knowledge.

I am watching a programme that was made into a book 20 years ago and it was called last chance to see. The two men who went around the world finding different endangered species and showing their plight to the world. Unfortunately since the original programme was made one of the men passed away. So one of his close friends has made the same journey as they made 20 years ago to see how these species are faring now. One of the gentlemen is Stephen Fry who really isn't such a happy bunny camping outdoors or trekking miles on foot to see the animal or bird in question. Though you can clearly see his delight when they find the animal or bird he is so animated and overtly so happy. Guess what it is another BBC programme and so well made.

ROSEBUD If the old gauze pads are improving your wound I can not see your doctor being displeased in anyway. Here in the UK if you were being treated for an ulceration you would go to the nurse in the practice and he/she would dress the wound for you. This would be done until it had healed. I think to my knowledge you are given some extra dressings so that you can have baths or showers then replace the dressing again.

No more ambient dinners now then since you have had your kitchen light replaced. I think now that all but one of my lights in the bungalow has the energy efficient bulbs in. The lamp that hasn't got it in still works but when the bulb goes I will be replacing it with low watt bulbs. Suppose to use less electric so that is a good thing.

Yes we have a Mikey in our house to namely Rizzie for any food disliked on trying it. Or if our eyes bigger than our bellies then he gets the left overs. I love the expression Mikey made me laugh.

I need to strip our bed to do the laundry from that but have done every thing else. So clothes and towelling all washed just a spot of ironing to do.

Right must go and put the hoover around the house now. I have sorted the kitchen out ready for tomorrow. I am happy to put up with the disruption in the kitchen to get the work done. The disruption will be minimal so that is no hardship.

Bye for now and take care ladies

purpleorc