Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Post Shopping anxiety

I have a mixed NSV. Friday, I went shopping for pants. Mine are very baggy and it is time to downsize the pants. I went to my "go to" store, Hamricks. As I am short, I have always had difficulty finding pants that fit well but they have a line of pants that have worked pretty well. Until now that is, Friday, all the "petite" pants in the plus sizes were too big! My great NSV!

With great trepidation, I went to the "regular" department. I was very uncomfortable, waiting for someone to chase me out. No one kicked me out and I sneaked a few pairs out to try on but none fit even close to right.

I decided to try Kohl's. Same story.

I went to Lane Bryant's because I knew that they would measure and fit me. The lady took my measurements, grabbed some pants and pointed me to the fitting room. They didn't fit. She kept bringing me pants but they didn't fit. With some the waist would fit but the seat would be baggy or the waist would come up to my breast or ........ various things. She suggested that I have a $60 pair of pants tailored but that is out of the question.

I think that my weight loss has been uneven and my dimensions are out of proportion for the short term. Does that sound possible? I have decided to just keep wearing my current baggy pants until I have lost a few more pounds. Maybe then I can find some that fit but, to be honest, I don't know how to shop any more. I am in totally unfamiliar territory and am just lost.

I called my daughter and the next time she comes to visit we are going to go shopping. She is going to be in charge and lead me though the jungle of shopping for non-plus size pants. Or maybe I will end up in a different brand of plus size. What a role reversal! The only problem is that we probably won't get together until Thanksgiving. I don't think that pants can wait that long!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #2  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

It gave me a bit of chuckle about waiting to get kicked out of the "regular" section lol I had the same feeling. I kept looking like someone is gonna be like -- what is SHE doing here!!

Hopefully you can find some jeans to fit you! It's always tough to find new jeans but it's for a good thing this time!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #3  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I just went shopping the other day and totally understand the anxiety issue. I've been delaying my shopping trip just cuz I was afraid I won't fit into some of the sizes. I am short as well and for the record, I can never find stuff that fit me right at Penney's, kohls, Macys etc (at least not for the most part). The petite is not the "right" petite, if it makes any sense. I have to go to branded stores in order for me to find stuff that fit me right. I may pay a little more but then again, for me, it's a matter of less hassle and finding stuff I know will fit me right. I like Gap as I know their ankle size (short) fits me right where it should. I also like NY&Co and Petite Sophisticate to name a few stores. I don't buy a whole lot but enough to get me by. If you have some of these stores close to you it might be worth trying them out .

Another option is, do you know anyone who sews? One of my friend's mom refitted some of my shirts for work and it bought me few more months. Or maybe find a tailor and get your pants fitted if it is inexpensive.

Last edited by pintobean; 10-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

When I got down to 214, I was so excited to be out of the PLUS section and could shop in normal clothing. I went to Penneys one day and I remember feeling so totally overwhelmed. I walked and walked through what seemed like acres of clothing. I had no idea where to even begin to pick out clothing. I was actually in tears and left with nothing.

So yeah, I get it. In fact I regained some weight because, I think subconsciously it was easier for me than coping with that kind of thing. But I am ok with it now. Just take your time and try things on and do what you gotta. And remember it will be easier getting smaller than getting bigger again
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been out of plus sizes for 2 years and I still have a fear of going into stores and shopping. I went with my friend into Charlotte Russe and New York & Co (I like their clothes but I've only ordered them online). I bought clothes that fit at both places but I was still scared that they would chase me out. Since she is small, I felt a bit safer but still.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #6  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

Have you tried a second hand store like goodwill or local consignment stores? Sometimes they have jeans that have Sisterhood-of-the-travelling-pants syndrome that will fit better than brand new pants. I'd say give it a try! Plus, you'd be getting them for a much cheaper price
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #7  

LOL! I too enjoyed the "Getting kicked out" part of the story.

Might I suggest JCPenny's? I've had luck there.

Congrats on your NSV!
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #8  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Oh yes, I know what you mean! Especially the bit about being chased out of the place!

But I know my body's changing and you know what? I deserve to look good, and owe it to myself to look my best. So a few weeks ago I emailed a friend who's very stylish and "booked" her for a shopping session. We went last Thursday afternoon and I spend an obscene amount of money on clothes that I would not have dared look at in stores I would have scuttled past on my way to somewhere else.

Having her there to (help) pick out stuff for me and to give an honest opinion on an outfit was so invaluable. On top of all that, because we don't see each other very often, it was a great chance to catch up (we went for coffee beforehand).

Long story short: there IS stuff out there that you look fabulous in! Don't be afraid to ask the store assistants for help or suggestions, even though they sport fangs dripping with the blood of people too fat to walk through in reality, it's their job to make sure the customer looks good and is happy with their purchase. They have a vested interest in making sure you look brilliant - as do you.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 259/230/155

Height: 5'7"

I think it is absolutely possible to be "between" sizes. I'm having just that problem with bras. Honestly I'm almost glad to have gained some weight back because it means that one of my bras actually fits. 34D is too big in the band and a teeny bit too big in the cup. 34C is just right in the band, too small in the cup. I'd try a 32D but haven't found one in stores. Even the Victoria's Secret people, who've measured me and tried to fit me, are a little baffled.

So, yeah, wait a few more pounds, or see if you can find something at a thrift store and get it altered to tide you over. It'll even out soon enough. I hope so for my sake as well! )
matafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I remember feeling very uncomfortable shopping in the regular sizes the first few times. I felt like everyone was staring at me (they weren't, it was just my imagination) I was sure they would send me back to the plus size department. It didn't take long before I felt fine shopping in regular sizes. Now my closet is bursting. I told the husband we need a walk-in closet, our regular closet is just too small!
Don't worry about not finding something to fit this time. In a couple of weeks try again and you will have shrunk a little more and will more than likely find something that fits great. I had to switch to a different brand of jeans because my body shape changed. It was frustrating at first because I had to try on a huge stack of different brands to find a good fit. Same with bras.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #11  
wants that Louis Vuitton!

S/C/G: 300/203.4/170

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you're weird or out of proportion. Even when I was much much slimmer and between plus and regular sizes, I have a terrible time finding jeans. They're either too small in the waist and fit everywhere else or they fit in the waist and baggy everywhere else. I highly recommend checking out junior plus of some kind (even if you're not a junior...it's going to be cut a little slimmer) for pants at a place like Torrid (I've mentioned that store on this site before...check out the website at www.torrid.com) They are the only place I can buy jeans...no matter what size I am. They go down to a size 12 and have many different styles for different body types. Another place I have luck when I'm inbetween plus and regular is Express. It's been a long time since I've shopped there...but last I did they had up to a size 14 in jeans and they're cut a little slimmer. Their denim is a good quality, too. Lastly, Check out 7 for all mankind jeans. They sell them at Lane Bryant but they are not Lane Bryant brand. (I freaking HATE lane bryant jeans!) If you need something smaller then check them out online. I'm a little big for them right now, but I know that the style is really flattering for us girls with smaller butts/thighs...lol. Check it out! I hope that helps!
I do know, though...that you should feel amazing about getting down to regular sizes and certainly not feel badly about being there! Rock it and find yourself a pair of awesome, sexy jeans!
StellarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #12  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Honestly, when I was around a size 14-16 good ol levi's did the trick. And Gap jeans too. And, you can get them on ebay, with the already been broken in feel to them (and soemtimes already hemmed up for the shortties!)
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh I understand you completely.

I definitely felt like an intruder when I first hit the "regular-sized" stores. I felt like an intruder and like they were going to "find me out". They were going to send me back to where I "belonged". In fact for a while there, I wasn't sure where the heck I belonged. Like h8cake says, luckily that won't last very long. Before you know it you'll find your niche. And you'll be filling up every square inch of extra space with your newly expanding wardrobe.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I say take any words Robin gives to heart and as gold, she knows her stuff.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #15  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I wrote a post almost EXACTLY like this just a bit ago about being chased out! lol!!! Give it time... your body IS changing. Maybe some yoga pants for now? Or a nice Levi with some STRETCH. I know you'll be able to find something
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote