Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Question How Many of Y'all Self-Paid?

Insurance is no longer an option for me. I have Medicare and the programs in my area are not approved by Medicare to do bariatric surgery and will not be for a couple of years. This has pretty much dashed my hopes unless I can find a way to self-pay which basically would be a loan from my mother.
I would really appreciate hearing from your self-pay experiences and any advice you may have.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/198/175

Height: 5'8"

My health insurance does not cover any medical treatment that is related to weight. I am footing the entire bill and scheduled for RNY in Nov.
DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I would travel to a program that IS covered by Medicare (they cover the DS, RNY, and band) long before I would pay out-of-pocket for WLS. It's much easier to switch surgeons and travel for a week or two than it is to come up with potentially tens of thousands of dollars for self-pay. People travel for surgery all the time - even to other countries. It is not only doable, but practically commonplace.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I agree with Jillybean... can you travel to a program that's covered by your insurance?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 269/141/135

Height: 5"7

I am self paying the $16000 for lap band, I too no longer qualify and besides my insurance and OHIP don't pay for Lap band and after my research it was the only option I personally felt comfortable with and that my husband would support. He felt that he would rather pay out of pocket for lap band and be able to remove the device in the event of complications versus having surgery that removes part of your digestive system and is irreversible. I personally support everyone's right to choose what works best for them. This was just my personal decision, you have to do your research and find what is best for you. I can't wait to feel satisfied with a small portion. Lap Band does not remove the fact that you have a lot of hard work ahead with controlling eating issues, your have to work out and make healthy choices. It is just a tool to help you succeed.
onmyway35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #6  

Default Some Clinics Offer Financing

I had VBG back in 1992 and am researching the possibility of a revision. I had insurance in 1992 but do not now. The cash pay price for a RNY revision is $25,000 and is all inclusive (surgeon, hospital, labs, x-ray and after care.) If I decide to have another procedure, I will pay it all.

I have noticed that many clinics (including mine) have financing options available. I know it's a lot of money, but it would be about like a small new car payment if this is your first procedure - which runs about $13,000-15,000 here. I think you have to really research this option and decide if it will save your life. I have postponed my own decision and am going to give the old diet & exercise routine another shot. Now that my health is failing, maybe I will be more motivated to actually succeed. If I don't, I will gladly pay for the procedure.
Mary in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

CatWuv - i just went on the MEdicare website to see where the closest approved facility was for you in Arizona - and LOOK!!!! there's a newly approved one in TUCSON! as of April 2009. hope this helps!

Facility Name Northwest Medical Center
Provider Number 03-0085
Date approved 04/06/2009
State AZ
Address 1 1980 W. Hospital Dr., Suite 200
Address 2 Tucson, AZ 85741
Other Information ASMBS
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote