Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Question Vertical sleeve gastrectomy Advice Needed Plz

Thank you all so much for your responses to my other posts.

Last night, I went to another seminar at a hospital that takes Medicare only to find out that the surgeon will do not the Lap Band on anyone who has a BMI of 50 or greater. He champions the vertical sleeve gastrectomy as having fewer complications than the bypass. Insurance doesn't cover it but that isn't my main concern. I just haven't heard much about the operation until last night and the surgeon made it sound like the cat's meow. Really, I am totally confused at this point. I need some impartial info and really value y'all's advice.

And now for an extremely stupid question....Is it possible to reverse a gastric bypass and sew the stomach back together? I know that the bypass is considered to be for life....I was just wondering if ever has been reversed successfully.
Thanks so much for your time,
Pennie
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

First, yes, an RNY CAN be completely reversed. It's a more complex procedure, obviously, but it can be done. This is also done in cases where someone has had an RNY and wishes to revise to a DS - the pouch must be taken down and the stomach made into a sleeve instead. Complex, yes, but impossible, no.

As for the VSG, I would recommend it over a band any day - no stoma, no fills/unfills, no foreign object...however, statistics are showing that the VSG tends to be less successful for those with a BMI of 50+. It's sure not impossible to be successful with any type of surgery, but many people with a BMI of 50+ who get the VSG end up requiring a second procedure later (conversion to either RNY or, more logically, to a full DS) in order to lose more weight.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Another reason to reverse the bypass is for complications - i knew a woman who got VERY ill after the bypass and they were never able to correct the vitamin deficiencies, anemia, and ulcers. and for whatever reason, no matter how much she ate, she never stopped losing weight. now, i know that we all fantasize about that, but she became skeletal.

most surgeons don't recommend reversing the bypass unless there's a good reason. after all, if it's helped you lose weight, why would you want to stop doing what's working for you?

I'd suggest asking the doc WHY he's so gung-ho about the VSG - he might be the only one in the area who offers it, and is trying to increase his business or he might make more money from the hospital by doing it, or he gets a larger percentage of self-pay patients, which also can mean more money for him, and fewer headaches.

or, he truly may believe in this technique - so, it's worth asking about. and while some docs don't like putting lapbands in people with high BMIs, there are docs who will do it in certain patients. and these very heavy patients CAN have success with lapband - as long as they follow the rules and keep on following them. there's a group out there called superbandsters [i think that's the name]. and these are folks with high BMIs, some of whom have lost 200 pounds or more with lapband.

And Jilly - there are pros and cons to every procedure out there, and there are valid reasons for people to prefer the lapband over any other technique. just as there are valid reasons for people to choose a DS or an RNY or a VSG.

Last edited by jiffypop; 10-02-2009 at 09:12 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
And Jilly - there are pros and cons to every procedure out there, and there are valid reasons for people to prefer the lapband over any other technique. just as there are valid reasons for people to choose a DS or an RNY or a VSG.
All I said is I wouldn't recommend it, which is true. I didn't say it never worked for anyone or there were no reasons to NOT get other procedures. I'm sitting next to a person right now who has a Lap Band - she's only a month out, but no complaints so far!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

We need to know our options without prejudice, so we can make an informed decision without feeling guilty for making that decision. My choice to have RNY over DS or the Band to help my diabetes was the right choice for me...the numbers out there are just statistics. My experience with RNY is very different then anyone else's. Telling someone to have or not have any WLS is a responsibility no one really wants in the end. My friend Vera, who is having complication after complication since her surgery Sept. 1st may wish she had the Band after all is said and done. Vera's outcome is still in the balance. She's back in the hospital for her 3rd post RNY surgery, is having issues with blood clots and other complications. And I've lost 2 friends to complications of DS.

Jill you made the right choice for Jill...Your experience with DS is unique to Jill...don't feel guilty for making that choice and you have a lot of experience, support and knowledge to offer all of us that have had or are trying to make the decision to have WLS, but supporting someone that makes a different choice then we made has an air of nobility to it.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelaks View Post
Jill you made the right choice for Jill...Your experience with DS is unique to Jill...don't feel guilty for making that choice and you have a lot of experience, support and knowledge to offer all of us that have had or are trying to make the decision to have WLS, but supporting someone that makes a different choice then we made has an air of nobility to it.

Angela
I'm not striving for nobility, here, but I have never not offered support to someone based on surgery choice. If you can show me where I've ever put someone down based on WLS procedure, I would be shocked. Saying I wouldn't personally recommend a band is not the same as saying I wouldn't support someone who got one. I have friends in real life who have had each of the different major surgery types, and I encounter more on a regular basis at my "staple club" support group (primarily RNY) and through the WLS study in which I am a participant at Johns Hopkins that includes patients with DS, RNY, bands, and VSG.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

not going to argue...just think about it.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote