Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Talking Can a plateau be predicted? Prevented?

I've been reading alot about plateaus on this site and it's very possible I've overlooked this info but I do have a question--can plateaus be predicted or even prevented?

I've been doing so well and I know in the past a plateau has caused me to give up. While I know now you can work thru one I'd sure like any and all helpful hints about avoiding or predicting one for the future.

If there is no such beast, sigh.....At least I know where to come for advice and encouragement on breaking through
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

The best thing to do to help with a plateau and even possible push through is to keep your body guessing. Not sure what program you are on, but if you cant switch up your food or calories, at least you can switch up your exercise routine. My exercise routine is never consistant for more than 2 weeks at a time and Ive been exercising since March, just a suggestions.
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

This is a great question! I have yet to really hit the dreaded plateau so if it is avoidable, I'd love to know how before it comes
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

I totally agree that you should keep your body guessing. Try creating an exercise routine where you do a variety of things from week to week (walking, jogging, areobics, weight lifting, kick boxing, swimming, outdoor sports, etc.). I own over 50 different workout DVD's, and lots of resistance bands, weights, balls, etc. I created a "exercise schedule" where I never repeat a workout until 11 weeks are up, then I start over again. Some workouts may work the same muscle groups, but in different ways. Variety is key. I also go play tennis once a week.

With eating, try eating higher calories on days you exercise, and lower calories on days you don't exercise.

I used this same scheme to successfully lose 50 pounds with no plateau.
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Please remember that you are not necessarily destine to have a plateau. Many people never experience one. In a total of 187 pounds lost, I never had a plateau. Lucky? Maybe.

Edited to add: I didn't do anything magic or extraordinary to keep from having one. I just kept plugging away, stayed on plan 99.9% of the time and increased my activity level as I was able to tolerate more.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-02-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I've honestly never had a plateau. I whinged... said I was on a plateau... but I wasn't. I've had some stalls (of a couple of weeks) but never one a true plateau in 153 pounds.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #7  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I do have to agree about the exercise. I was doing watp 5 Mile advance this morning and leslie said the best way to break thew a plateau is to bump the your work outs cause your body will get used to doing a level of exercise on a daily bases. So I do agree to always keep your Body doing different levels of activity.

Believe me that 5 miles this morning kicked my butt. It was 71 minutes .
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I've noticed my weight loss starting to stall a few times but haven't had a plateau so far and I'm sure it's because I'm keeping my body guessing. It hasn't been delibrate but sometimes I've done exercise in mornings then changed it to evenings, sometimes calories a little on the low side, soemtimes for one reason or another getting less time to exercise, going on holiday and eating more(but not overinduldging), decreasing exercise for a while, increasing walking, etc. all random things that alterered from fitting my plan around a family. Feel like I'm making it up as I go along but it's working for me so far.

I read somewhere else that you can expect to plateau after losing 10% of your body weight and at this stage maintaining is good then your body thinks the next 10% is a new 10%. It's to do with the body protecting itself from losing too much weight in a famine. I don't intend to maintain if I do get a plateau though - will just change something again
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Another one here who never, ever experienced a plateau. Like the others, all I did was stay faithfully on my plan the entire time I was losing and had a loss all but 2 weeks and those 2 weeks I simply stayed the same. That's not the way everyone chooses to go at it. But it was what I chose.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I "feel" like I'm plateauing now, but I think it's mostly psychological. I have a pattern where I drop quickly for a week or two then only lose a little for a week or two... each time I'm in a slow period, I try to practice a lot of positive self-talk.

It's hard though-- right now, I'm away from home, so away from both normal eating habits and scale....I'm doing my best, but I prefer the security of stepping on the scale every day just to be sure.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote