South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #1  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Stalled Already?

I've only been on this diet for two weeks, first week lost 2.5 lbs, second week lost 2.5 lbs. I have been happy with this despite the fact I know others have lost like 12 lbs in two weeks.

Past two days been feeling like I have to poop but just can't (sorry TMI). I have gone but it was a small BM. I drink plenty of water but I'm obviously not getting enough fiber (average is like 15 grams a day). I ate a La Tortilla wrap yesterday to give me a good boost of fiber (7 grams I think) and it only has like 10 grams of carbs.

I'm at a total stall- in fact I weighed in today and am back to 210 *cry* I'm thinking it's definitely because I haven't really had a BM for two days... But I'm afraid next Monday I'll be the same weight or higher again!

Anyone had this issue when starting out? What did you do? I'm going to try and eat more high fiber foods this week to help, but I'm just nervous about stalling out already! I have PCOS which makes it harder to lose weight- and I thought this was the "answer" but I am afraid I'm already starting to stall.

Am I just over-reacting? Any advice or tips for help? Anyone else go through this? Thanks. Should I stay on Phase 1 longer because of my medical condition?

ETA: I am also planning to start exercising more (starting TODAY) to see if that helps.

Last edited by beerab; 10-01-2009 at 02:03 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I generally aim for about twice the RDA of fiber - 45-50 g. It's easy on SBD - I eat lots of broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, greens, lots of beans and apples. How about posting a menu so we can see if anything jumps out? Could just be one of those things that will pass or not enough beans and veggies, or too much dairy.... It's too soon to give up. Just keep on keeping on and it will work itself out. I know that's easier said than done but this WOL really does work, it's just not an overnight miracle.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

Thanks Cyndi for your response.

Maybe I guess I should just continue on to phase 2 so I can get more fiber and things in my diet- my fiber has fallen short- average of 15 grams a day when I used to eat 25+. I guess I just freaked out cuz my medical condition makes it so hard to lose weight it seems

I think it is not enough veggies cuz the last few days I've just felt SICK of vegetables. Yesterday I didn't even realize I had less than 1000 calories- I just felt like blah with food.

Today so far I had some cantelope, grapes, and cheese for breakfast (had a meeting choices were very limited). Then lunch was a large romaine salad and grilled chicken on the side.

Dinner I'm going to do grilled veggies, grilled steak. I'm planning on using some high fiber veggies as my side tonight. Cauliflower for sure

I definitely feel a difference since starting and people have already complimented me saying they notice the weight loss! WOO! Only took 26 pounds! SHEESH

I can't give up- this diet is recommended by my doctor and all the literature I read online says the south beach diet is perfect for those who have PCOS.

Last edited by beerab; 10-01-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I eat at least 4-5 cups of veggies a day, oatmeal for breakfast, apples or prunes for fruit choice, beans regularly and get about 30 Gms. of fiber daily. Also drink lots of liquids. And I still get constipated regularly on SB. I think my body likes lots of grains to go & some days I don't eat more than 1 serving. I occasionally use 1-2 Senna tablets to get things moving. I also have some of the Metamucil type fiber stuff but I hate drinking it, but that works well for some. No sense in suffering. Believe me, the scale will move again and it definitely does after relieving the constipation.

Last edited by murphmitch; 10-01-2009 at 08:29 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I have PCOS which makes it harder to lose weight- and I thought this was the "answer" but I am afraid I'm already starting to stall.
First off, thanks for bringing your questions to the forum. I have found it really helps to get the perspective of others. I have found the beachers very helpful here. I had your same issue and it worked itself out. In my case, I felt my body was just going through so many changes by taking out the white flour and sugar that I really needed to stay OP.

I think that quite possibly this is your "answer". It is a extremely healthy WOL, however I think you need to give it time. While the scale is a convenient measure, if you can find a way to trust the healthy WOL and base success less on the scale and more on how you feel, I think you might be more comfortable.

Around 6 weeks, I was feeling so fat, and I just kept OP. My "advice" would be to just stick with it and move on to Phase 2. Hanging out in Phase 1 will get boring really fast and I don't think you'll really lose more weight, but might just get discouraged. I just continue to be conscious of my grain intake.

When I read old posts here I quickly realized that this was not a plan of being hungry. I don't skimp on calories and feel better not being hungry all the time (as I was on other plans). It does sound like your calories were pretty low. These 4 1/2 months have been a breeze once I got into the groove. I went through a time early on where I was sick of vegies, too, but that passed and now I crave my healthy food.

I'm sure you're reading the posts here, but you're always welcome to join on the daily thread.

Best Wishes!

PS FYI my blood sugar is totally stable and I went off blood pressure meds totally at 6 weeks.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

2 suggestions, first, make a cracked wheat salad. Whenever my husband has that problem, that's what I do and it works every time. I also recommended that to a friend and it cleans the pipes for her too!
Second is get on a good probiotic. Since I started my husband on one (the gold pack from GNC) He's been "good to go"....
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Beerab, so glad you brought this to the forum. A couple of things are going on here, so I'll address each separately.

First, the fiber. You definitely need more. Check out high fiber veggies to make sure you can increase the fiber without causing cravings. You'll need to slowly move into fibrous fruits and grains as you explore Phase 2 and how it affects you (see What's Your Phase 2 Combo? thread for help on how to do that). When you're able, I'd try an apple (with protein to slow down the release of sugar), as they have a lot of fiber. Fiber One cereal can be a good choice, too.

Constipation/Regularity: This is an issue many have on SBD P1, and some carry it into P2. The top things you can do to ease this problem are: eat fiber, drink water, and move! If you aren't exercising yet, start, even if it's just walks around the block or a Walk Away The Pounds video in your living room. When you move, so does your gut. If you are sedentary, so is your digestive system, and that leads to constipation, IBS symptoms, and gas. Not fun! If you are moving a lot, drinking a lot of water (with nothing in it), and eating fiber but are still not "regular," first consult your doctor, then consider taking a fiber supplement. Some chickies take the Metamucil capsules that Dr. A recommends, but I found that they gave me gas, so I use FiberChoice tablets (the Sugar Free ones). They help a lot. Another option, which works really well (and makes you feel very full), is to add psyllium husk to a smoothie (or to anything else you want). It adds a ton of fiber and is guaranteed to make you "move!"

Stalling: This is a part of weight loss. It happens, but it's not the end of the world. Keep working your plan and know that it will eventually move. I know it can affect your motivation, so make sure you're also measuring inches, monitoring changes in your health (like, "I haven't lost any weight this week, but I was able to climb the stairs without huffing and puffing today!"), and paying attention to how your eating is. If after a couple of weeks, you're still stalled, then come here and we'll do what we can to help, okay? I bet you're right and the lack of "movement" is to blame.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
make a cracked wheat salad. Whenever my husband has that problem, that's what I do and it works every time..
what is a cracked wheat salad??
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #9  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

I'm wondering about cracked wheat salad also... google here I come!!
mompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

Thank you guys so much for your responses!

I spoke to a friend on SB and she was like girl get your butt out of phase 1- so I did- and today I saw 206.5 on the scale! Definitely since I've gotten more fiber in my diet it's starting to work- slowly but surely!

As for workouts I'm slowly bringing them in- I just bought a bike and went bike riding with hubby today for an hour and it was fun- I KNOW I'm going to feel it tomorrow though! We plan on bike riding every weekend and then I've cleaned off my treadmill so planning on trying to work out more during the week. I find myself satisfied on less food and since I've started taking up crochet I haven't snacked like I used to!

I definitely will post in here more often- my doctor is thrilled I'm doing the South Beach diet

PS where is the diet daily thread? TY!

Last edited by beerab; 10-11-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #11  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

here's a basic recipe, but add whatever you want. I usually add olives, feta, cherry or grape tomatoes, red onions and whatever else I have in the fridge and put a vinegarette dressing on it. Grilled shrimp is yummy in it and grilled chicken.
Better after it sits in the fridge a while.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/simplysalads/crawhe.htm

Last edited by femmecreole; 10-12-2009 at 07:15 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote