General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default NAME vs. STORE BRANDS....

I saw a segment yesterday on the news. The story was a Consumer Report story on name brand foods vs. store brand.

Seems the taste testers found that something like 24 of the 28 store brand items tasted the same or better than the name brand. There was quite a variety of items and stores.

Although Angie and I buy several Kirkland products from Costco, we usually buy name brand foods. We shop at Ralphs/Krogers most of the time.

I will say that when the kids were here we always bought the Private Selection brand ice cream at Ralphs...they liked it better and it costs less

We can all afford to save a buck these days can't we?

How about you...any store brand foods/products you like the same or better?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I will always try the store brands , if I don't like them I don't buy them again. I buy Safeway store brand, milk, butter, detergents, etc and see no difference in taste or quality.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #3  

I was a ketchup snob and would only buy Heinz. Then my husband put me to a blind taste test, and it turns out I much prefer the store brand.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I tend to be picky about items and brands. Like I usually make my own salsa, but sometimes I want to just buy it and I only really like one brand, that Desert Pepper Trading Co. one. I also don't eat ice cream, so I depend on name brands for the coconut/dairy free options.

In fact a lot of the items that I purchase, I tend to focus my purchases on organic or soy/health foodie type items. So, those are all name brands or etc... Things like detergent I have to use Seventh Generation or something with no fragrance lol. I'm allergic lol. I sound like a food/purchase snob lol.

Haha...maybe I am, but I just am picky and with my diet of no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no cheese...lol I'm restricted! Yeah, but with things like salsa I've tried other brands, hate them...even the store brands. Booo on me.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 10-02-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #5  
Workin' It

I get a lot of Archer Farms & Market Panty products from Target. The Market Pantry honey nut cheerios are fabulous, can't tell a bit of difference. Most of their products are great, but oddly, sometimes more expensive than the name brands. The Market Pantry of the regular handle tie trash bags are a little thinner than the hefty, so tear easier, but are seriously cheaper so I've used them anyway.

Wal Mart's version of ziploc storage bags are weak and get holes pretty easily, and aren't cheaper enough to be worth it most of the time. Their freezer bags are fine.

Frozen broccoli has been odd - the smaller bags of Market Pantry have all been great, but I've tried multiple 5lb bags of the MP and they have all been just terrible.

Market Pantry peanut butter is yummy.

Can you tell I do most of my shopping at Target.

Oh yes, I also like the Private Selection products, but I get them at Kroger.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

SHANNON...I remember the story compared Target vs. Digiorno on a frozen pizza...came out equal...but the Target one was a buck cheaper.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #7  
Workin' It

The Target frozen pizzas are really good. The Archer Farms ones compare closer to the DiGiornio, the Market Pantry holds up pretty well against the Tombstone. And yes, $1 cheaper, sometimes more because they put the Target brand on sale a lot.

I don't understand why they have two different store brands, though.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Most of the time generic products are made by the brand or by the same company that makes the product for the brand. Though, store brands aren't allowed to advertise that.

For example (I don't know if it's still true, but a few years back), White Wave (a brand that makes amazing soy milk)... also makes Whole Foods Market soy milk... but it's cheaper.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I buy almost all store brand items for our staples. The exceptions are yogurt, string cheese, and laundry detergent. We've never been able to tell a difference and I'm trying to feed 3 kids on a budget. The kids actually prefer the store brand mac and cheese to Kraft. They said that the Kraft tasted "grainy". I did buy store brand frozen pancakes once, we'll never do that again, yuck!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I dont buy store brand string cheese ever... it is mushy or something... I only like the kraft polly o kind... but otherwise store brands are usually ok
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I shop at Superstore mostly and I buy a TON of president's choice and "no name" brands. Same or BETTER taste... and way cheaper!

One thing I also buy brand name of is bread. I loves my orrowheat sprouted grain
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #12  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

it depends on what i am buying canned soup i will buy the name brand. There is one thing i will always buy the store brand of ~Maccaroni and cheese~ there is a little neighborhood store just a few blocks from me and the their brand puts Kraft to shame. It has a better cheese flavor and is not as salty. This stores off brand of "kid" soda is the best ( by kid soda i mean orange, grape, cream soda those kinds.) Their cream soda is the best one. Everything else is more trial and error i will give them a shot but they do not always work out.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyisLove View Post
I dont buy store brand string cheese ever... it is mushy or something... I only like the kraft polly o kind... but otherwise store brands are usually ok
"Slimy" is how the kids and I decribe it, in fact when we buy our name brand string cheese we still talk about how we're avoiding the "Slime Cheese".
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am loyal to Tide Detergent and Schick brand razors. I am also loyal to Kashi cereal, Pepperidge Farm breads and snack items that my children eat. As far as things like paper towel, TP, tomato sauce, pasta, mayo, ketchup, etc. I will use whatever is cheapest providing there are no fillers in it.

I love the bulk bins at the Farmer's Market and am finding that I use more and more things from them. You can't beat those prices.

p.s. I have been brand LOYAL to Maxwell House coffees for two decades. Recently, I bought Kroger brand. I couldn't believe it but I couldn't tell any difference.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-02-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #15  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

mostly i've been a no generics girl- but well i'm buying a house and we're saving every penny. i had albertsons generic chive cream cheese and it was funky. but the walmart generic of the same is quite tasty.
i'm trying to expand my horizons... but sometimes we look at the off brand and it just looks... off. lol.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote