Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #1  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

S/C/G: strt;245. crnt;260* goal;[225]

Height: 5'8 !

Question What Should I Do First?

lol i know i might sound dingy or whatever.. but i really need to know! heyy im new at this and i want to do it the right way this time around. sooo.. should i eat first and then workout? or workout and then eat? and how long should i workout? *sigh* i can't wait to lose weight. im too young to weigh 50lbs away from 300! its scarrryy ); suggestions anyone?
plus sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You should do whatever feels right to you. I need to eat a little something before I workout (an hour or so prior) but not too much or else it'll make me sluggish.

How long? That is up to you. I would advise you to do weight training though. It has helped me and others throughout our weight loss journey. Walking is a great beginners exercise though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #3  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I have heard that you should workout before you eat but I am definitely no expert. I was told it helps your metobolism. I am sure others will chime in to help and answer better than me lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #4  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

i think i heard that too.. someone also told me it didn't matter.. and someone also told me to eat after so im all confuuused. but i know this is a little off topic, but is fasting for like a day good for losing weight? idk someone mentioned to me it may slow down metabolism? hmm..
Old 10-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
You should do whatever feels right to you. I need to eat a little something before I workout (an hour or so prior) but not too much or else it'll make me sluggish.

How long? That is up to you. I would advise you to do weight training though. It has helped me and others throughout our weight loss journey. Walking is a great beginners exercise though.
Agreed.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

And I will add that for me I do 3 30 minute work outs 5 days a week so I definitely am eating before I work out and I am losing. Again, this is just me I am referencing.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #7  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
And I will add that for me I do 3 30 minute work outs 5 days a week so I definitely am eating before I work out and I am losing. Again, this is just me I am referencing.
well yeah! You're a great reference to get information & ideas from. your before & after pics are amazing! wow congrats! sooo three 30min work outs a day.. for 5 days a week. what do u do? do you rotate? like cardiooo... weight training... target areas.. lol i need some guidance i guess. your pics really motivated me (:
Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Whoa--3-30 minute work outs a day are NOT necessary!

Right now, one 30 minute work out is quite enough. Do what you can see yourself doing forever--OKAY? The most important thing here is that you do something consistently! Not that you become a marathon runner tomorrow.

As for eating: I find I don't like exercising on a full stomache, so if I've eaten, I wait about 30-45 minutes.

Body builders may need to eat (specifically have a hunk of protein) after they've worked out hard--you and I, not so much! Though if you want to, 1/2 a banana and a big glass of water is a great post-workout snack.

Don't get caught up in the details--don't let that all drag you down. Just remember: you lose weight if the calories IN are less than the calories OUT. Day after day after day for the rest of your life.

And you won't lose weight if you don't stick to your plan. So, that's all you need for now: a plan and consistency!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #9  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Fasting for one day won't slow your metabolism, just be careful of the food choices you make when you reintroduce. Hunger can make for poor decision making in the food arena.
I eat protein before I work out, but only a little bit because if I fill up, I get stomach cramps. I'll usuallly have a hard boiled egg or some refried (no fat added) beans. Just so I don't get hungry while I'm trying to get in a good workout. I'm not hypoglycemic but hunger pangs make me feel nausiated so I avoid them.

And I agree with who ever said do weight training. Muscle is important to metabolism and calorie burning.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

Umm I never suggested anyone do 3 workouts. I quite clearly stated that I was only referencing myself...me me me.

As for what I do, at the moment I do cardio/weight interval training. It is a mix of cardio and weights and I really like it.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #11  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

If I could work out thrice a day for 30 minutes, I'd so be there...lol! Some trainers do suggest, for weight loss, that you work out at least 75 minutes a day, so thats close to the 90 minutes your pulling off Onderchic. When I'm in my zone I do 75-80 minutes, 40 on the elliptical, 25 on the recumbent bike and then a 10 minute cool down on the treadmill...but, being busy has its downside, being I can't always devote the time.

But, when I first stared out, I was going for 25-35 minutes 3 days a week, keeping my heart rate at the aerobic level and I lost weight quite steadily for about 6 months like that before I had to step it up to break my first plateau.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

Heh, when I first started I was doing 5-15 minutes of walking in place but I built from there, hehe
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #13  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Heh, when I first started I was doing 5-15 minutes of walking in place but I built from there, hehe
lol how cute is that! well you came a long wayyy. and you gota start somewhere right.

75 mins a day? ehh i think i can manage that! i usually run/walk for 30mins then so some abs, arms, butt, legs & back workout. for about 15mins. sometime 30 if my friends participate. thanks for all this feedback! you guys rockk [:
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

You're welcome, thanks and good luck!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus sized View Post
lol i know i might sound dingy or whatever.. but i really need to know! heyy im new at this and i want to do it the right way this time around. sooo.. should i eat first and then workout? or workout and then eat? and how long should i workout? *sigh* i can't wait to lose weight. im too young to weigh 50lbs away from 300! its scarrryy ); suggestions anyone?
Hi, and congrats on taking the first step.

As previous posters mentioned, do what you feel is best. Before I workout I eat something light, like a yogurt or granola/grain bar. Wait 30 mins, and while doing so drink a glass of water. Then after I workout I eat my full breakfast (my fave...blt- turkey bacon, light mayo, lettuce, tomato on whole wheat bread w/ a fruit). Just make sure you are getting enough water when working out. As far as length of workouts only you can figure that out. Start out slow and work your way up. I started with 30 mins on treadmill on cardio days, and on strenth training days I do 15 mins on treadmill or eliptical and 25 - 30 min weight machines. I am 2 weeks in and lost a total of 10.6 lbs.

You will do great!!
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote