Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Since I started running...

Since I started running I have noticed many changes in my body and mind.

1. I'm more tired - I used to be able to work out every day doing things like workout DVD's, weight training, walking, and tennis. Now I run every other day but the inbetween days I'm too tired to work out. I push myself to walk on those off days but my energy is lower than I'm used to.

2. I'm starving! - I'm afraid of my appetite getting the best of me. I'm having trouble maintaining my calories and I'm fighting a lot of snack attacks. I don't know if I should be giving in, eating more, eating less, or what. I'm confused about this because of #3....

3. I've gained 4lbs! - How on earth does one gain weight by running? I thought running burned a lot of calories!

4. Clothes - I don't know what to wear to run! I'm freezing when I leave the house and then sweating and hot 10 minutes later. What do I do with my sweater while I run? Should I be carrying a water bottle in my hand?

5. Aches and pains. Shin splints, sore knees, even my hips are feeling the impact of running. These are minor pains and they don't interfere with my workouts but how long will these last?

Thank you all for reading this and being patient with me. I absolutely love running but I'm obviously having a hard time adjusting to it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Awww If you love it, don't give up. It will get better, as you said, you're just having a hard time adjusting. Which by the way, is expected.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #3  

I am so with you! I have been exhausted since I started running in May. I keep waiting for that "boost" but it never comes. I've only lost about 5 lbs since I started, but I do feel like my body looks different. But I am dragging...
pegdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

the only one I can help with is the dressing thing, as the last time I ran was when I lived in Michigan. I would run my first few minutes around my own block so I could drop off my layers at the house as I warmed up. Once I was down to just running clothes, then I would take off on the "real" run. And I never carried a water bottle but my maximum distance was 5k, maybe longer distance runners would have a different answer.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

For the pains, have you got a properly fitted pair of shoes? Shoes can make a huge difference! I have much less pain than when I started and I'm 100% sure it's my new shoes.

You will be hungrier on the days you run, you should plan on eating more. I think you can find some food/eating tips on coolrunning or activenetwork or even runnersworld.

As for the weight gain, I don't know how to explain that one. Could be gaining muscle. Could be retaining water. Are you also stretching properly?

If you are tired the you really shoild listen to your body and REST. I don't know how much running you are doing but maybe your body needs more time to repair itself and that's why you simply can't do anything on the other days.

Hang in there!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #6  

I do run a lot, have been building up the last few years and now do about 50-70 miles a week, depending on season, race ect. So, my running advice is carry water if you are going out for over an hour, or if it is really hot. Start your run cold, but not too cold. Your body temp will go up about 20 degrees, and as you become more efficient, you will sweat quicker. I run in shorts, long sleeve shirt, beanie, gloves at above 50 degrees. Below 50 I wear knickers and maybe another top layer, even colder I may add a vest. Layering is great, tie your shirt around your waist and go. Regarding hunger, that is normal, especially as your body gets used to a new routine. High quality, oatmeal, PB, lean protein, ect. Fuller longer for running. As for weight, I feel that is hard to say, are you hydrated? your body may be holing on to stay hydrated, are you eating a lot more to keep from feeling tired? This may all balance out as your body adjusts.
Running takes work, your body should be tired, honor that and be proud, some days you'll run, feel weightless and really move! Enjoy
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

How long have you been a runner, and how far and fast are you going? Shin splints are pretty common in beginners that start out too fast/too far, so I'm wondering if you've tried slowing your pace, or running every 3rd day, something like that?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

shoes!! get fitted for better shoes!!! aches and pains will VANISH....
i LOVE careysings suggestion about running around the block to warm up then drop stuff off!! FANTASTIC IDEA! I usually just suffer being cold the first 5 r 10 minutes...its WAY better than being hot and uncomfortable for most of the run!!
Are you eating more BECAUSE you are running and hungry? that is the trap ALOT of runners fall into..they think "hey, im running, i DESERVE/EARNED this 500 calorie starbucks latte after every run! Unless you are logging serious mileage, you might not be burning as many calories as you think! According to my personal HR monitor, even after running a FAST 10K i only burn about 400-450 calories.... but we are ALL very different as far as calorie burning goes.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #9  

I'm a new runner, being doing this for 3 weeks. I run at 3mi/hr and I do this workout every other day.

When I say hungry I mean RAVENOUS!! Like stomach growling 1 hour after breakfast, which is usually yogurt with honey and walnuts. I mean hungry like I want to eat the pillow if it's too close. I'm a calorie cycler eating anywhere between 1400-1800 per day and even on my 1800 days I'm starving.

I'm scared to invest in shoes for fear that I'll give up when it gets too cold
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #10  
Workin' It

I bought real running shoes in January, they made a world of difference. I went to a running store and had my stride analyzed for the right fit. Love them. My running dropped off a little in the summer, but I've picked back up. The people who have said that the aches and pains will vanish are absolutely right - I feel so much better just with different shoes.

I get hungry like that after running, too. If I don't eat more protein the day of the run I feel like I'm eating myself up inside all day the next day. I try to drink a protein smoothie or pb&j or something as soon as I get home from the run and that seems to help. Do you make your high calorie days your run days in your cycling?

On the clothing, I also dress in light layers and tie around my waist. I've learned that a stocking cap makes a big difference for me. I can go lighter on the clothes if my head is warm.

Go for the shoes, you won't regret it! It might make you more likely to run when it gets cold, actually, if you don't have the achy feelings on top of the cold feelings.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #11  

How much should I expect to spend on these shoes?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #12  
Workin' It

Mine were $105, I've seen pairs that range from $85-$150. I'm considering trying to find my replacement shoes cheaper somewhere else now that I know how they fit and what shoe to look for, but I feel some loyalty at this point to the store for spending so much time with me. (I had to exchange mine a few times, go back in twice for tweaking on fit.) I think that they say replace them every 300-400 miles?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think my first pair was about $80 from a running store. Funny thing is I had a choice between 2 pairs of shoes and went with one. The running store had a 'black friday' sale and sold the shoes I didn't pick for $25. So I ended up picking those up and waiting until my other shoes were worn out and switched. Once my $25 shoes wear out, I'll go back to the original shoes or even go back to the running store, not sure which.

Also be sure to stretch. Are you saying you are running 3 miles each time you go out? 3 miles is something you build up to. I would look at the couch to 5k plan to help you get there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Also be sure to stretch. Are you saying you are running 3 miles each time you go out? 3 miles is something you build up to. I would look at the couch to 5k plan to help you get there.
3 miles is the total distance, mostly walking. I walk to the track which is .75 miles, stretch and then run/walk for 30 minutes. Then I walk back the .75 miles again and stretch when I'm done. That whole thing takes me about 45 minutes.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #15  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

expect to spend about 100 buks...TOTALLY WORTH EVERY PENNY AND THEN SOME!! PLEASE dont give up on running till you have great shoes and experience what a world of difference it will make!! you have to go to a specialty running store and they will have you run/walk on a treadmill and determine if you over pronate or underpronate and theyll check your arches and determine what shoes will compensate for whatever problems (physiologically) that you have....those "problems" are what causes your aches and pains!!

NELLIE--if you currently own two pairs of good running shoes, start alternating them NOW!! you will get more use out of them!! Alot of runners have more than one pair, that they alternate each day!! Switching them out between every run allows each pair to "recover" and rebound and you will get more miles out of both...extend their lives PAST the 300-400 mile mark!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote