Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #1  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Default Swedish Massage

Has anyone had a swedish massage? How does it feel?

I basically want to treat myself and I've never had a massage before, and I want a relaxing one. And I've heard the swedish massage is the best one to get.

I found a massage centre close to where I live.

Also, wondering what time i should go for, there are different prices

30 minute £35
45 minute £45
60 minute £55

I was thinking maybe i will go for the 30 minutes, since i've never had a massage before, plus its cheaper and cant really afford the full £55. But then thinking maybe its more value for money to get the 1 hour one, and i probably wont be getting another one for quite some time. so maybe should really just treat myself and go for the full hour.

I was thinking of going sometime next week.

Thanks !
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'd say go for it, Echo!

Swedish massage is firm - I prefer that to softer stuff which lays more emphasis on aromatherapy.

Relax afterwards cos you'll feel tired. Just go with it & drink lots of water.

Have a lovely time!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I really, really love massages.

Make sure you tell your masseuse whether you want more or less pressure - don't get intimidated and not talk! My first massage, I got almost no benefit, they were so light - next time, I asked to move up to a bit firmer and...bliss.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/143/132

Height: 5.9

Hi,

As a massage therapist, I think that to treat yourself to a massage is a great idea! However, I suggest that you go to a therapist who comes recommended. Maybe I'm too finicky, but I just don't enjoy a massage if not done by a really good professional - then, it's a sublime experience.
Naama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Massages are wonderful! Although it may feel a bit odd to have a stranger running their hands over you at first, if you've never had one before. Just relax, they are very professional. And don't be self-conscious, because believe me, they've seen every body type out there and don't think a thing of it.

If you want the massage to hit all of the muscle groups, then go for the 60 minute. A 30 min massage really doesn't have time to get to everything, but you can focus on your problems areas -- like neck/shoulders/back. A 30 min massage is a good introduction, but at the time you'll wish it were longer! IMO, the longer the better and a 90 min massage is even better! :-) But I understand ... cost is a factor and for me a massage is the rare and special treat too.

I suggest that you go early to allow yourself plenty of time to change, relax, and fill out the paperwork that most places need for first-timers. Drink plenty of water afterward. And plan for something relaxing and enjoyable afterward too, if you can, to prolong the experience! (and not rush right back into your hectic normal life if at all possible).

Have fun!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #6  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Awww thanks everyone thats totally awesome advice!!! i have decided i'm gonna go for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I'd say go for it, Echo!

Swedish massage is firm - I prefer that to softer stuff which lays more emphasis on aromatherapy.

Relax afterwards cos you'll feel tired. Just go with it & drink lots of water.

Have a lovely time!
Thanks silverbirch!! i will book a massage next week!! hehehe cant wait.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I really, really love massages.

Make sure you tell your masseuse whether you want more or less pressure - don't get intimidated and not talk! My first massage, I got almost no benefit, they were so light - next time, I asked to move up to a bit firmer and...bliss.
Thanks for the advice mandalinn82 , yeah I'm the type of person that would just stay quiet and be too intimidated to say anything! good idea! will definately speak up
mmm sounds so nice, i cannot wait. have always wanted to have a massage!!

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naama View Post
Hi,

As a massage therapist, I think that to treat yourself to a massage is a great idea! However, I suggest that you go to a therapist who comes recommended. Maybe I'm too finicky, but I just don't enjoy a massage if not done by a really good professional - then, it's a sublime experience.
oh wow you're a massage therapist Naama, thats so awesome! great thanks so much for the advice. yeh good idea about going for a recommended one thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
Massages are wonderful! Although it may feel a bit odd to have a stranger running their hands over you at first, if you've never had one before. Just relax, they are very professional. And don't be self-conscious, because believe me, they've seen every body type out there and don't think a thing of it.

If you want the massage to hit all of the muscle groups, then go for the 60 minute. A 30 min massage really doesn't have time to get to everything, but you can focus on your problems areas -- like neck/shoulders/back. A 30 min massage is a good introduction, but at the time you'll wish it were longer! IMO, the longer the better and a 90 min massage is even better! :-) But I understand ... cost is a factor and for me a massage is the rare and special treat too.

I suggest that you go early to allow yourself plenty of time to change, relax, and fill out the paperwork that most places need for first-timers. Drink plenty of water afterward. And plan for something relaxing and enjoyable afterward too, if you can, to prolong the experience! (and not rush right back into your hectic normal life if at all possible).

Have fun!
MBN thanks so much for the advice and insight about how much time i should go for! you've convinced me, i'm gonna go for the 60 minutes. you're right it will hit more of the areas. thanks so much!

good idea about going early. i will.

and i love your idea about planning something relaxing even afterwards! cool!!

awesome thanks so much!

--

thanks everyone !

i'm going to book it for next wednesday i think. something to look forward to aswell! hehehehe
Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #7  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I think I'm going to get one too. Right now, it sounds heavenly. I've never had one either. However, I've heard about drinking lots of water after the massage to flush out toxins.

Thanks
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #8  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
I think I'm going to get one too. Right now, it sounds heavenly. I've never had one either. However, I've heard about drinking lots of water after the massage to flush out toxins.

Thanks
awesome lets both get one! and then compare notes lol! we deserve it !!

yah good idea about drinking water. i've also heard that be prepared to feel sluggish the next day/. and also feeling abit emotional. i heard about that too.