Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Boo! October 1- 15

And the question to start the month is...where is Alena???? has she zumbaed off into the sunset? Is she lying like a squished Tomato under a bench press bar? Inquiring minds want to know!

And the other question is who is buying all that Halloween candy that has been in the stores for the last 3 weeks and how many times are they re-stocking before Halloween ?

My new favorite exercise is a kettlebell Two Hand Any How. Learned it today with no mishaps I haven't tried it with dumbbells, but it's probably not all that different. I was using 18 pd kettlebells and it was hard work.

Make this month count! What is YOUR goal for the month?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - I gotta try that move!! I don't think I could do it though.

My goal is to be 100% on plan with counting my calories every day!! As for fitness, my goal is to practice practice practice and improve my karate kicks. I also need to stretch to improve my hip flexibility.

We went to karate tonight. It looks like we can go to multiple karate classes per week even if we only paid for one class per week. We did lots and lots of kicks and I definitely have room for improvement.

Last edited by nelie; 09-30-2009 at 10:19 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

OMG, Mel, that exercise sucks! I tried it with 15 lb DBs, and had to go back to 10s to get one...could not get the squat deep enough with that one 15 pounder overhead. Fun! I'm going to rest and try again with the 15s.

Yeah, Alena, what is the deal? Where have you been?

I stayed home from the gym today, but got some details of the workout from a friend of mine...it was row 300, tire jumps and pull-ups, but I forgot what she said the reps were.

I made up a home version that I thought was good enough, but didn't worry about running a timer today:
10 Double-Unders
30 box jumps
15 jumping pull-ups
3 rounds

I counted missed attempts on the DUs if they were close, like when I jumped and it went around almost twice and whacked me in the toe...ouch! I got 5 successful DUs the first round, 6 on the second, and 7 on the third round. I was pretty happy with that, since I am still learning these, and some days can't seem to get even one! At the end I did the sit-ups for my challenge, 55 today, still unbroken, but barely...the last 5 reps were torture. Normally, this would be NBD, but with no rest days on the sit-up challenge, they are getting tough!

I think I'll go try Mel's crazy exercise again...ETA, I got the 15s. That is a surprisingly hard movement! I'll have to try it at the gym with their KBs.

Nelie, sorry, missed your post, because I took so long to send this one. I think it's great you're enjoying the karate so much! I bet it's a great workout, too. My goal is the same, to stay OP with the food!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 09-30-2009 at 10:59 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
My goal is the same, to stay OP with the food!
And mine! I thought I might have managed to lose one pound in September but NO.

Have a good day, everyone.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Evening! I'm glad to see Alana,but where have you been??? We missed you.

Well, the gym at lunch time (12:30-1:30ish) was as quiet as 5:30 am. Seems like everyone must come later in the day. Works for me! Had all the equipment I wanted to myself (unlike Monday when I was working in with guy on the cables). I'm still feeling a little puny, and will go to bed early (well, if I'd get off the computer I will). Tomorrow is a rest day in any case so I can sleep til 6.

Mel - that KB exercise looks like a killer. We don't have 2 KBs the same weight at our gym, but I think it could be done with DBs.... May have to try,but I suspect I'd have the same problems as Cheryl with being able to squat low enough.

Nelie - Great job on the karate.

Okay, my goal for October is to get back on track with food. I've been falling into an afternoon carbfest for the past few days, plus not enough in veggie dept. I think it's the onset of the cold weather and darkness. I just need to push through and give myself some when I feel like curling up and eating bon-bons or their cousins! On that note I am off to bed while it's still relatively early.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #6  
Mel

Wow- we all seem to have the same issue. My goal is the FOOD. I will be 100% on plan M-f with 2 cheat meals on the weekend. Prlems has been that the entire weekend has been one long cheat- kind of a holdover and extension of my BFL days where I took it too literally!

That move works with dumbbells. I tried it last night after I posted. I used 20's for about 2 reps before I dropped to 15's just to see if it was doable. There are a few variations I've seen which are even harder!!!!

Mel
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #7  
Workin' It

Add me to the problem with food list... I have got to be more OP this month. I wasted 200 calories last night on junk on top of the takeout cheese pizza that we had for dinner. I planned for the pizza, but certainly wasn't planning on using most of my evening snack calories on hershey kisses and mary jane peanut butter kisses. Had been planning some healthy kashi with yogurt, but nope. I do often plan higher cal treat days, where I make myself crazy is when I do an unplanned one last night.

Mel - I've watched that video several times now and I can't wrap my head around the sequencing. I'm going to watch it some more and try to do it with dumbbells on my evening workout.

Nelie - that is cool that you can go to multiple classes per week!

Cheryl - what are you doing to learn the double under? I've been trying and haven't even managed one. When I speed up my hands to swing the rope faster I always start jumping faster, too, then I trip on the rope or lose my balance and it gets all crazy.

Hi Birch!

Pat - I would figure the gym to be busier in the lunch hour, that is cool that it wasn't! Hope you feel better today.

Alena - where are you?

I did 45 minutes of cardio yoga after DSS went to bed last night. I usually don't find time to exercise when he is over - the garage is right below his bedroom so too much activity in there keeps him awake, which means I try to fit exercise into this arbitrarily decided space between dinner and bath which seldom works. The yoga worked well - closed the door to our guest room downstairs, rolled out the mat, sweated like a crazy person, HRM says I burned 300 cals. The workout is one I've done before and is pretty darn hard - Yoga Fitness Plus w/ Elise Gulan from Exercise.tv. It has at least 20 chaterangas (yoga pushups, which I do from plank, not from the knee modification), side planks, one legged chairs, lots of balancing up on one foot with the other leg pointing in crazy directions, lots of downward facing dog, those kinds of poses. Haven't done it in several weeks and am definitely feeling it today! Only missed my September exercise goal by about 100 minutes, which isn't too bad considering I took 10 days off in the middle of the month!

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This is definitely entering the difficult part of the year for me. I struggle a lot through winter which was one reason I had thought about joining crossfit for the winter. I'm happy with karate though and I think that'll be my exercise focus. My real focus is to get into the next size down on a gi (white karate outfit). My husband actually wears the next size down (he is a small guy). I put on his outfit last night and it was definitely snug.

Even though I don't have a lot of the holiday food issues that others may encounter, I still tend to eat more in the winter. Maybe it is evolutionary in the 'eat what you can when it is cold as food is scarce'. My goal this winter is to get below 200 once and for all. It'll be a change from the usual 10 lbs I gain in winter.

As for karate, both my husband and I are sore in places we didn't know existed. We were doing kicks last night and wow I got so exhausted but I was having so much fun!! My pants even started to fall down and I didn't realize it...

Last edited by nelie; 10-01-2009 at 11:29 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Cheryl & Shannon: is the double-under a skipping move that I call the crossover?
If so, let me brag that I quickly did 4 without really trying at the gymn today. Heads turned! Haha. My technique is to do 3 singles, jumping on both feet, and then 1 crossover, going faster BUT thinking it's slower. Repeat until you trip.

This is where I find you mean something different...

Food. Although I eat loads of veg already, I plan to eat even more, cooked in different ways. The DB, when he shops with me, now chooses a 'star' or 'celebrity' vegetable unrelated to the menu which we work in somehow. It's adding to the variety.

Have a good evening.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Even though I don't have a lot of the holiday food issues that others may encounter, I still tend to eat more in the winter. Maybe it is evolutionary in the 'eat what you can when it is cold as food is scarce'. My goal this winter is to get below 200 once and for all. It'll be a change from the usual 10 lbs I gain in winter.
This is me too Nelie. There's just the two of us, so no big holiday hoopla. We have both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with friends, so no huge leftovers. We go to a couple of small parties that I usually do pretty well at, so I think the whole thing is just winter - it's cold and dark and d**n it, I want to eat. I need to get better at planning (how many times have I said that??) and sticking to the plan. I KNOW what to do, I just need to do it. I have 9 weeks left on my 6 month program, and I have made great progress, so I don't need to stumble now. I'm thinking I'll sign up for the next session as well. It starts in January and would help me on the final stretch back to goal I think. It would certainly keep me accountable through the winter.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #11  
Workin' It

Birch - I don't think the double under and the crossover are the same thing. The DU passes the rope under your feet twice per jump, the crossover, well, crosses over. I can't do those either. Me and jump ropes have a love-hate-more hate relationship. This video has double unders and crossovers in it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #12  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Birch, I think they're two different moves, as Shannon said, but that's still impressive.

Shannon, one of the guys at the gym who is really good at these, says to just jump a little higher than normal, and keep the jump there, learn to whip the rope faster. I've tried that and had no success yet, but that might be good later on, for developing more DUs in a row. For now, what I've been doing is what some of the other guys from my gym showed me, which is to do 2 or 3 single jumps, then for the DU, I kind of "ball up" on that jump, and whip the rope. The idea is to do single-single-double-single-single-double, etc. So far, after the DU, I usually hit the ground so hard and without grace that I can't keep jumping, lol, but I'm working on smoothing it out. I have long hair and wear a ponytail, so one problem I have with straight vertical jumping is that the rope tends to hit my ponytail. Tucking it under a sweatshirt helps, but then mostly I whack myself in the toe if I miss, and those stinking cables hurt! You definitely want a speed jumprope or a wire/cable style rope of some sort that will really whip around. A lightweight cotton/poly rope just can't spin fast enough. At home, I just have a length of electrical cord, like you'd have on an extension cord...it was a scrap, I just cut it to length and hold the ends so they don't spin at all...the wires inside are flexible enough that it spins around without getting all twisted out of shape, and it's heavy enough that it will spin fast. Not as good as a real speed rope, but it works.

So, I have about 1 pound to go till I'm under 160! I've been POP with the food the last few days and the scale has been very cooperative. I keep waiting for it to say, "psych!" and bounce back up, which I'm sure it will, but it would be very nice if it showed me a 159.8 first!

Today we had a focus day on balance stuff and gymnastics...being monkeys on the rings, which was fun, and some superman style planks, v-sits, stuff like that. I meant to try Mel's move with the KBs, since it might be easier (they have handles that are higher off the ground, compared to my DBs), but ran out of time today. Still need to do my 60 situps for today.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-01-2009 at 04:17 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I can tell there's a difference but I can't see the rope passing twice under his feet. (Crossovers we did as kids all the time, no problem) So really you're trying to jump higher to stay up while you speed up your arms to get around twice while you're still up? Not me! I can't really jump rope at all any more as my knees can't take the shock. Too bad, it's great cardio. My DH made himself a really cool jumprope that's exactly the right length for him (he's only 5'3") and uses the aerobic classroom at the gym to jump.

ETA: CHeryl we were posting at the same time. I guess I had it right on how to do it. My DH made his jumprope out of nylon rope with some sort of plastic tubes about 1" long each over it. I don't know what he used for handles. I can ask him if you're interested. He's made a couple for other people too.

Last edited by WaterRat; 10-01-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #14  
Mel

Double unders elude me also. Mostly I whack myself in the back of the head with the jumps rope if I get the double, or trip over it. Many parts of my body dislike the jump rope! The guys who consistently do it well at my CF say to jump higer and try to push your legs out in front of you (kind of like the kipping motion in a kipping pull up) so that your feet stay off the ground a little longer.

I actually walked out of CF today before the workout started. We rent space in a Grand Slam which is batting cages, a big basketball court, and a big area that can be separated with nets for pitching practice. And a noisy video arcade. All the CF equipment is in the netted area, well away from the video games For the umpteenth time, we were kicked out of our space onto the basketball court, which is a long trudge from where all our equipment is. So on those days, the workouts are always wild metcon, usually with some single kettlebell or medicine ball exercise. I really wanted to LIFT today and the workout was single arm renegade rows, mule kicks, and sprints around the bb court. YUCK. and YUCK again. I went home and did chest and back. I already did cardio intervals this morning and didn't feel like a second dose. Hopefully, the space situation will be changing very soon :cf:

Have any of you who have problems in winter tried using a light box? I started using one 3 years ago, and I think it really does help. I dug it out of the closet about 3 days ago when I remembered.

Have a good night!

Mel
Old 10-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #15  

Hi ladies,

Food and dark issues as well in the high south of the Lowlands! I, still in the Venuto book, and I like the idea of gradually changing habits.
I'm into workout adding now, and the next step will be to clean up the food act.

Re lightbox: I got one better: It is called a wakeup light. Its from Philips and it wakes you up by simulating a bright sunrise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2g4IjHIiU
The light gradually increases in intensity and I have a bird choir chirping me awake. The light is very bright and I guess this helps me. I've used a light box before but I like this better.I got the newer model from this one, like the styling more.

Weights -at-home today, Did cardio yesterday. So far no results on the scale. I tend to be hungrier and snack more, so that's the next step. I'm re-installing the bowl of carrots in my fridge.

ETA:Killer workout today: 20 mins run followed by weights. I was dripping wet 10 mins in. AND the scale has budged! Both weight and bodyfat are down. Patting myself on the back here. and i had a lightbulb moment when studiing the calorie tables in the venuto book. I guess I've been eating way more than I thought I was. like double the amount. so that will be the good habit to add next week: estimate calories and tally them in my head up 5o my calorie budget.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 10-02-2009 at 06:19 AM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote