Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #1  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

Default I need help in this area!

I have never really ate healthy before. I am use to fried foods and eating out almost everyday. When it came time to having to cook healthy, I had no idea what to do.

I have been cooking chicken breast on the George Forman, steaming broccoli and carrots, and eating brown rice for dinner but I am SO sick of it. I have a hard time eating meats other than ham, smoked pork chops, sausage and chicken (although I am not to fond of it). But I am not a big veggie person either without that ranch dressing which is now banned from the house. So yeah, I am a pretty picky eater. I need help!!

I have no idea what to eat for breakfast! I have been eating fat free milk with a cup of rice chex. They taste terrible.

And for lunch, a tuna sandwich with light mayo, relish, and chick peas with wheat bread.

There is a bunch of fruit it the mix daily to. I am drinking nothing but fruit-2-0 and regular water.

I need new ideas. I have no idea what is a good idea to eat and what is not.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

What about roasted chicken? Lower in fat and YUMMY!

I suggest picking up a "cooking light" book and trying out the recipes- I love their recipes and best of all they aren't bad on the calories/fat.

Some recipe site I go to are sparkrecipes.com (look at nutrition on these they do all sorts of types of recipes- some are high fat/calories). I also check out myrecipes.com
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For breakfast, how about oatmeal with shredded apples and cinnamon? I make oatmeal just with water but unsweetened almond milk would also be good. How about a whole wheat tortilla with some peanut butter or almond butter with half a banana?

One of my favorite lunches is a big green salad with fat free refried beans and salsa. It is like a taco salad without the taco. Another favorite meal of mine is a big bowl of lentil/spinach soup.

Also, start just doing a google search for the types of recipes you are interested in. One of my favorite blogs is fat free vegan. When I wanted to figure out how to add more veggies into my diet, I started looking at vegan recipes because they generally have very creative ways to make veggies:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Last edited by nelie; 09-29-2009 at 12:11 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/241/180

Height: 6'

Hey kitty mom! I had a hard time breaking out of the rut of having the same ole chicken & broccoli too. I swear, if I ate 1 more piece of broccoli, I was going to pee green! I am on a new plan now that makes me think of how to make foods I like but in healthier ways; Example, breakfast is often a whole wheat sandwich round (those little thin things in the grocery store that are only 100 cal.) with 1 egg & 1egg white cooked and put in the middle. I top that with a touch of reduced fat cheese, a slice of cadadian bacon (the 30 cal. kind) and I have a healthy english muffin! It is really good and healthy. So, try to think of ways to improve your current likes; and mostly, have great success!
BeverlyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #5  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Great ideas!! Thanks so much! How is the reduced fat cheese? I was urged to stay away from cheese, and I am having a terrible time with it!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never liked reduced fat cheese. I always thought cheese was too caloric and I would rather spend my calories on something else. I gave up cheese entirely for other reasons a couple years ago but it wasn't a big shock because I barely ate it before that point.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi - some of the things I have for breakfast are: tortilla with pb & banana,
toasted tomato sandwich with ff mayo & lettuce (sometimes add ff cheese slice), oatmeal, cereal, fruit with cheese.
Lunch - supper leftovers, tuna or egg salad wrapped in boston lettuce leaves,
chili, big salad with sunflower seeds & lots of veggies.
Supper - meat or fish with veggies, spaghetti squash with meat sauce,
veggie lasagna, omellete

Hope you like some of these things.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #8  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2 View Post
Hi - some of the things I have for breakfast are: tortilla with pb & banana,
toasted tomato sandwich with ff mayo & lettuce (sometimes add ff cheese slice), oatmeal, cereal, fruit with cheese.
Lunch - supper leftovers, tuna or egg salad wrapped in boston lettuce leaves,
chili, big salad with sunflower seeds & lots of veggies.
Supper - meat or fish with veggies, spaghetti squash with meat sauce,
veggie lasagna, omellete

Hope you like some of these things.
Yes I do thank you!! How is FF mayo? What brand do you use?

Last edited by momto3kittiess; 09-29-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #9  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I never liked reduced fat cheese. I always thought cheese was too caloric and I would rather spend my calories on something else. I gave up cheese entirely for other reasons a couple years ago but it wasn't a big shock because I barely ate it before that point.
I might be doing this to. Ugh. Its like my favorite food, lol.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #10  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Momto3kittiess--I, too, love cheese. I allow myself an ounce before bed. Full fat. I weigh it. I don't have it every night, but if I have room (and some days I make sure I have room) I have it.

My favourite way to have it is this way:
I lightly toast a piece of rye bread. Then I place the cheese on it with a slice of onion and tomato. I sprinkle basil on that and then put it under the broiler for 5 minutes. Oh, so good!

I learned to cook with books by Leanne Ely. I loved "Saving Dinner." I also use "Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way." Not only does she have recipes, but calorie counts and exchanges listed: she also suggests what to serve along with the main meal.

Check out my blog. I've a few recipes posted--one family favourite is "Pork and Squash." It's a Leanne Ely recipe and so good!

The book, Food Matters, by Mark Bittmen also has super simple recipes to follow--and it's all very healthy.

Good luck! This is a fantastic new adventure.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #11  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Breakfast--right--I'm sort of stuck in my own rut with this one!

I take a mushroom, red pepper and onion and chop up enough of each to have about 1/4 cup or a handful altogether--and fry them in a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. (Very important to me, I've found. A teeny bit of fat keeps me feeling full a long time.) Then I take an egg and crack it into a bowl and mix it with about 1/2 shell of water. I whip that up and them pour it over the veggies.

It's not *really* and omelette, but that's what I call it.

(I actually chop the veggies all at once and keep the extra on hand so that the next time I make breakfast, it's quicker!)

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-29-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi - I buy the Kraft Miracle Whip FF, they also now have Hellmans Light - I like any of them.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #13  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Thank you so much Alana...I have checked out your blog and I love it!! And Bandit, thanks! I have the Light Hellmans..but I really want something FF, so I will try miracle whip!